Page 1 of 1

Contact Etiquette and Hiring: Small Litigation Boutiques

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:59 pm
by Anonymous User
Rising 2L. My boss (federal judge) gave me a list of *small* IP litigation boutiques in my area (by small, I mean <10 attorneys). He knows all the founders of said firms. There are two that I am particularly interested in, as they have seriously impressive clients in my technical area and the founders came from good big firms. Boss seems to think I have a very good shot at any of them and would put in a good word for me (this is probably helping with his prediction).

By my area, I mean the area I am working this summer and where I want to work after graduation. I don't go to law school in this area.

Would it be appropriate to contact these two firms via e-mail, tell them how I heard of them, and ask if I could speak with someone over the phone or in person regarding their practice? Would it be overstepping some bounds, when/if I do have an opportunity to speak with someone, to ask if they are hiring?

Re: Contact Etiquette and Hiring: Small Litigation Boutiques

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:37 pm
by Posner
I would pose this question to your boss, ask him what the next steps should be. He knows them best.

Re: Contact Etiquette and Hiring: Small Litigation Boutiques

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:44 pm
by yinz
Facebook Message?

Re: Contact Etiquette and Hiring: Small Litigation Boutiques

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:54 pm
by jayn3
k i'm getting this idea straight from law school confidential...but isn't this a situation where sending resume spam with a well-written cover letter might work?

Re: Contact Etiquette and Hiring: Small Litigation Boutiques

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:56 pm
by romothesavior
yinz wrote:Facebook Message?
This.

Actually on second thought, this.
Posner wrote:I would pose this question to your boss, ask him what the next steps should be. He knows them best.
Advice from a federal judge who knows these people >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TLS

Re: Contact Etiquette and Hiring: Small Litigation Boutiques

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:58 pm
by jayn3
romothesavior wrote: Advice from a federal judge who knows these people >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TLS
^tcr.
although i have to say i'd be hesitant to try to get a job through facebook....

Re: Contact Etiquette and Hiring: Small Litigation Boutiques

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:59 pm
by romothesavior
jayn3 wrote:
romothesavior wrote: Advice from a federal judge who knows these people >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TLS
^tcr.
although i have to say i'd be hesitant to try to get a job through facebook....
Ya think?

Re: Contact Etiquette and Hiring: Small Litigation Boutiques

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:01 pm
by jayn3
romothesavior wrote: Ya think?
dude, for all i know people do try. why do law firms have official fb pages? no, seriously, why??

Re: Contact Etiquette and Hiring: Small Litigation Boutiques

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:13 am
by Anonymous User
romothesavior wrote:
yinz wrote:Facebook Message?
This.

Actually on second thought, this.
Posner wrote:I would pose this question to your boss, ask him what the next steps should be. He knows them best.
Advice from a federal judge who knows these people >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> TLS
Ugh, I am just shy. But fair enough, will ask. Never really considered small lit boutiques until he suggested it for me, so just curious. He seems to think my personality and working style is more fit for a strictly IP firm than general biglaw, so maybe there is merit to this. Not sure what it says about my personality though. ;)