HYS or Differ for Internship Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

HYS or Differ for Internship

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:55 am

Hi, I didn't know exactly where this should be posted exactly so I chose this forum.

Here's the deal. I've been accepted to HYS and I was all set to attend in the fall. However, the opportunity for an amazing internship opportunity at a V10 firm may be on the horizon, but I would have to differ my admission for two years in order to take advantage of it. So I'm looking for some advice on what path I should take. I know that I can gain some amazing experience and the internship could not only provide me with great skills and hopefully connections, but will also teach me some valuable tools to use while in law school, which will allow me to getter better grades and be more competitive for law review. My only thought is what if I can be just as successful in law school without the internship, which will maybe give me equally great options on graduation? I'm really so amped and ready to start law school right now, I love being a student, and I've been just waiting for this for so long.

So needless to say I'm confused, any thoughts?

MJMD

Bronze

Re: HYS or Differ for Internship

Post by MJMD » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:58 am

-
Last edited by MJMD on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi, I didn't know exactly where this should be posted exactly so I chose this forum.

Here's the deal. I've been accepted to HYS and I was all set to attend in the fall. However, the opportunity for an amazing internship opportunity at a V10 firm may be on the horizon, but I would have to differ my admission for two years in order to take advantage of it. So I'm looking for some advice on what path I should take. I know that I can gain some amazing experience and the internship could not only provide me with great skills and hopefully connections, but will also teach me some valuable tools to use while in law school, which will allow me to getter better grades and be more competitive for law review. My only thought is what if I can be just as successful in law school without the internship, which will maybe give me equally great options on graduation? I'm really so amped and ready to start law school right now, I love being a student, and I've been just waiting for this for so long.

Do not defer. Your internship will probably create some networking opportunities, but go to HYS and never look back. This internship will not make you more competitive in LS.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi, I didn't know exactly where this should be posted exactly so I chose this forum.

Differ and take the internship, if offered. Law school will always be there and the economy might be better when you graduate in 2015 instead of 2013. The contacts and insight you'll gain at the internship are invaluable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:00 pm

To be more specific on my situation

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:01 pm

Take this "internship" (it's called being a paralegal) if you want a job instead of to go to law school. It won't help you with grades or law review, though.

animalcrkrs

Bronze

Post by animalcrkrs » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:02 pm

1) This is the employment forum for students, probably not the correct place for a 'should I go to law school' post, but I am guessing you appreciate the anonymous feature it offers...

2) Defer is the word you want.

3) Does internship at a V10 firm mean paralegal or something else? Why do you have to do it for 2 years? Every school (and every applicant who asks) is different when it comes to deferrals. I know someone who deferred Harvard 2 years but it was a really painful process to get the second year.
If it is a paralegal job or something of the like, I am not in agreement that it will necessarily allow you to get better grades or be more competitive for law review. The people I know who worked at firms before coming to school might have 'slightly' more citation/research experience, but I haven't found them to be any more knowledgeable or have more ability when it comes to the work.

If you want to start like you say you do and you are already in you should go for it. If you are having second thoughts ask the deferral policy and explain your situation and see what happens. The worst they can do is say no, it's not as if they are going to revoke your admission because you ask.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:02 pm

Differ.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:08 pm

rad law wrote:Differ.
I beg to differ, sir.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Snoopy1216

Bronze

Post by Snoopy1216 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:09 pm

Oh please "differ" and then lemme know what they said :wink: hehe

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:49 pm

any other thoughts?

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any other thoughts?
Yup, don't take the job. It's bullshit! :D

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:51 pm

Learn to spell defer before you go push paper for some real lawyers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rv11

Bronze

Post by rv11 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:53 pm

merichard87 wrote:Learn to spell defer before you go push paper for some real lawyers.
+1. I hope this was just a mistake and HYS didn't "except" someone with that kind of spelling knowledge.

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:15 pm

Well, I don't know everything about H/Y/S deferral policies, but I suspect that they will not grant your request this late in the game. I know that Yale has sent us all sorts of "we've finalized our class" info and doubt that they'd want to scramble to replace you for a two year paralegal job. If you were awarded the Rhodes scholarship or something of that sort it might be a different matter.
allow me to getter better grades and be more competitive for law review
Um. You do know that neither Yale, Harvard, nor Stanford have "grades" as such. And regarding law review, all three of them are "write on." I don't see how spending a couple of years filing papers at a firm will make you a better writer.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:21 pm

Is this opportunity paid or unpaid? When I think "internship", I think un-paid... in which case, go to HYS.

Mirrored

New

Post by Mirrored » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:22 pm

I call troll.

Your writing is terrible. Unless you are some insanely rare URM with some sort of world changing experience, I strongly doubt that you are capable of performing at either a V10 firm or YHS.

Your writing is redundant.
Your adverbs are weak.
Your tone is childish.
Etc. Etc. Etc.

Nonsense. Complete nonsense.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:34 pm

Mirrored wrote:I call troll.
I suspected the same, but why troll with such a mundane question? There's nothing in here to get people riled-up. If the question were "should I defer from H/Y/S to 'liberate' Palestine" or "should I defer from H/Y/S to evangelize among 'the savages' for the Mormon church" then it might have a chance at starting a troll-worthy flame war.

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:36 pm

Well, if OP really is an HYS admit, this helps lay to rest the myth that HYS admits are super geniuses. We can all take solace in the fact that us non-admits :cry: are probably every bit as talented as those that make it there.

And to answer OP's question, why would you seriously consider deferring HYS?! Have you thought about this in terms of opportunity cost? You're pretty much guaranteed to land a great gig coming out of HYS making $160K/year in BigLaw, if that's what you want. One or two years at $160K >>>>>>>>>>>>>one or two years of a paralegal salary. The math is simple.
Last edited by sundevil77 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:36 pm

notanumber wrote:If the question were "should I defer from H/Y/S to 'liberate' Palestine" or "should I defer from H/Y/S to evangelize among 'the savages' for the Mormon church" then it might have a chance at starting a troll-worthy flame war.
Start the thread. Let's do it.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:37 pm

sundevil77 wrote:Well, if OP really is an HYS admit, this helps lay to rest the myth that HYS admits are super geniuses. We can all take solace in the fact that us non-admits :cry: are probably every bit as talented as those that make it there.
With logic like that...

Also, does that myth really exist?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:38 pm

notanumber wrote:
Mirrored wrote:I call troll.
I suspected the same, but why troll with such a mundane question? There's nothing in here to get people riled-up. If the question were "should I defer from H/Y/S to 'liberate' Palestine" or "should I defer from H/Y/S to evangelize among 'the savages' for the Mormon church" then it might have a chance at starting a troll-worthy flame war.
People have trolled before with more mundane questions. Trolls work in mysterious ways.

I concur with Mirrored.

animalcrkrs

Bronze

Post by animalcrkrs » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:38 pm

mallard wrote:
sundevil77 wrote:Well, if OP really is an HYS admit, this helps lay to rest the myth that HYS admits are super geniuses. We can all take solace in the fact that us non-admits :cry: are probably every bit as talented as those that make it there.
With logic like that...

No, I know a bunch of them. They are not. Not that they aren't smart, but...come on.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:39 pm

mallard wrote:
With logic like that...

Quick, OP - identify the reasoning flaw at hand so that we may decide whether or not you're flaming us all. :P

As for the myth, I'm pretty sure that it does exist to some extent. Although us CCN-ers like to think otherwise, of course. :)

animalcrkrs

Bronze

Post by animalcrkrs » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:43 pm

Also, I advocate that if this person is a troll they be warned for posting inappropriate crap in the employment thread to just use anonymity.

"Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, clerkship, etc."

None of what this person posted was sensitive IMO, nor related to "Students and Graduates>>Legal Employment" subthread. If the anonymous feature allows people to troll without at least creating a new "0 post" screenname to let people at least know it's flame and THEN argue aimlessly, I take issue.

Okay, I will stop being an asshole now.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”