. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Hamilton

New

Post by Hamilton » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:29 pm

Last edited by Hamilton on Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seespotrun

Gold

Re: Career Services Office Data

Post by seespotrun » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:34 pm

Hamilton wrote:So some friends and I went into our T25 school's CSO and asked for data on which employers coming to our OCI this year have historically hired our school's students, in what numbers, and their approx class rank. They told us that they don't have that sort of information. Am I taking crazy pills, or is that basic stuff that every career services office should have?
My school's CSO said the same thing... :roll:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:43 pm

They unquestionably have the data, so keep pressing.

My school (T14) gave out very, very detailed callback data through my 1L year ('07-'08). This data was broken down by firm, and reported each of these stats for each of the past five years: # of callbacks, high callback GPA, median callback GPA, and low callback GPA. So one could see trends even within a single firm's hiring, for instance. Then, as things got a little tighter economically, they gave out slightly less--though still a considerable amount of info--my 2L year (fall 2008 OCI). Basically everything they gave before, but in a one-year format for the most recent hiring year, plus some averages for the previous two. By the time fall '09 rolled around, the school gave out even less, as it dropped the high and low callback GPAs and eliminated the availability of data older than the previous year.

Did they have less info to give in '09 than in '07? No. Did they have a reason to give less than they had? Sure. The school didn't want to freak lots of students around and below the median out. The school also probably wanted to guard against leaks at a time when there was increasing interest in and pressure on employment data. It sounds to me like your schools are doing the same.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:18 pm

Part of it is about not wanting to freak out the students around and below median, and part of it is probably about the data not making much sense anymore. Things are extremely unpredictable year-to-year now and I don't think CSOs want us gambling on which firms are going to be hire "normally" and which will take tiny classes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”