Which Firms Use Which Phones? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mpasi

Bronze

Re: Which Firms Use Which Phones?

Post by mpasi » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
mpasi wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mpasi wrote:I'd imagine the BB's functionality is why more firms use it. Apple has yet to come up with an instant messaging system for the iPhone. Blackberry Messenger is pretty ace.
Securing Outlook sync on iphone and android is apparently harder than on BBs, iphones being easier than androids. I can't imagine firms encouraging lawyers to use BBM, though, unless it backs up and syncs with their servers as well.

It does. And syncing Outlook e-mail on a Blackberry is as simple as filling in your login information. BB's Desktop Manager syncs the calendar with the click of a button. Nothing hard about that.
oh, I know you can sync, but most firms employ extra layers of security crap for emails. or at least mine does.

I got curious since I have a BB, and found this. --LinkRemoved-- Is that what you're looking for?

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:13 am

chadwick218 wrote:Although off the topic of phones, I do know that Chapman & Cutler acknowledges that they use Mac products in their recruiting pitch.

The firm that I am working at this summer does not actually reimburse for cellular phones. They have cut out all frills. However, they also happen to be the most profitable firm by partner in the midwest.
Oh please name names :mrgreen:

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:26 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:Although off the topic of phones, I do know that Chapman & Cutler acknowledges that they use Mac products in their recruiting pitch.

The firm that I am working at this summer does not actually reimburse for cellular phones. They have cut out all frills. However, they also happen to be the most profitable firm by partner in the midwest.
You do realize that the way a firm gets high per partner profits is by taking advantage of the associates, right? Higher PPP= worse place to work, all things being equal.

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:30 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enygma

Bronze

Post by enygma » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:27 pm

i didn't think kirkland took 1L summers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:49 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:02 pm

Quinn = whatever. There's BBs, iphones, and droids.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:24 pm

Renzo wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:

You do realize that the way a firm gets high per partner profits is by taking advantage of the associates, right? Higher PPP= worse place to work, all things being equal.
I know. I meant name names as in shame the fuck out of them.

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:26 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:41 pm

NYAssociate wrote:
Higher PPP= worse place to work, all things being equal.
Eh... not necessarily.

Anyways, RPL is definitely a better indicator/factor of firm health.
You're right, RPL is a better metric. And,
I realize the "all things being equal" qualifier encompasses a lot of very important variables. But profits come from the difference between what associates bill and what they are paid; that means that almost by definition, higher profits= more hours worked for each salary dollar earned by associates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:15 pm

animalcrkrs wrote: Reed Smith= BB
Reed Smith now supports iPhones and Android phones as well, if you bring your own phone.

hangtime813

Bronze

Post by hangtime813 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:03 pm

McCormick Barstow uses iPhones

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
animalcrkrs wrote: Reed Smith= BB
Reed Smith now supports iPhones and Android phones as well, if you bring your own phone.
Thanks for the update. I don't know what I would have done without this information.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:51 pm

Jenner = iPhone

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:18 am

animalcrkrs wrote:Hogan and Hartson= BB
Reed Smith= BB
(see below article)

Not sure who does/doesn't have smartphones for employees at all, but this article http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/arti ... the_apple/ makes me think most law firms (like other professional services firms) are sticking with Blackberries--and some even banning iphone use by employees, over security concerns. Even if apple "resolves" the specific security issues, I think it will be years before iphones take over BBs as the smartphone of choice for businesses.

EDIT: ...and not just because AT&T's service coverage blows. :)
PoliticalJunkie wrote:I can't see firms, or any professional organization, moving to iphones or Android phones (though the latter would be more likely than the former).

The reliability of BB's is unmatched. Heck even the new iphone is having problems due to a poor design: http://i.engadget.com/2010/06/24/apple- ... holding-th
I have no idea why this thread was dug out of its grave.

But since it has been, I would like to say HA-HA!

Blackberrys--what a fucking joke.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”