Bid Strategy - Sort of a unique situation Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bid Strategy - Sort of a unique situation

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:32 pm

So, I don't think many people will know the answer to this question, but even if it's pure speculation, I'm interested to get some input.

Basically, where should I bid? Stats are CCN, top 25%, maybe top 20%, 2 years substantive business work experience (consulting), HYP UG. No idea about LR yet, but I am not counting on it.

Here's the twist: I'm a JD/MBA. Overall, I feel like this is probably a positive. But I feel that for this year it might handicap me. Basically, I have heard that some firms are reluctant to hire joint degree students as rising 2nd years because they only want people who will be graduating the following year. Indeed, if you look at NALP, many firms explicitly say they don't accept apps from joint degree students graduating in 2013.

I have a general idea of the range of firms I would normally want to bid on (roughly, V10=reach, V10-50=target), but I have no idea how to adjust my bid strategy. Career services seems to be of the opinion I should just bid everywhere and hope firms that nominally don't take joint degree students will make an exception, but I don't know if I believe them.

The problem is I can't fill my bid list with "good" firms that also explicitly say they take joint degree students. Obviously I will put those first. But after that should I go with "lesser" firms that accept joint degree students, or go with "better" firms that ostensibly do not but might make an exception?

Thanks for your input.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Re: Bid Strategy - Sort of a unique situation

Post by TheBigMediocre » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:37 pm

Who did you do consulting with? M/B/B? or lower?

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:43 pm

Would you be willing to do a business internship if OCI doesn't work out?
Last edited by imchuckbass58 on Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:44 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:Who did you do consulting with? M/B/B? or lower?
Lower, but same idea. Strategy, not IT. Think Monitor/Booz/Oliver Wyman/LEK.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:49 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:Would you be willing to do a business internship if OCI doesn't work out?
I'd be willing to try, but I feel like I would face the same situation/aversion with business employers. Also, would much prefer to work for a law firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”