Top 20% at T2, Secondary Journal Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 20% at T2, Secondary Journal

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:36 pm

I'm in the top 20% with a secondary journal at Cardozo. I am currently interning for a federal judge in NYC. I know this economy is awful so I am not expecting much out of OCI. However, do I have a shot at anything? In 2009, Cardozo placed 20.1% into NLJ 250 firms (http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1). I know for a fact though that things were far worse in 2010.

I've looked at the firms coming to OCI, and there are a good number of firms who claim they are seeking candidates in the top 20% with a journal, which gives me some hope. However, I am fairly certain that given this economy, these firms will be more selective. I plan on bidding very conservatively, but once again, my expectations are low.

Realistically, what should I expect? I know I can ask people at Cardozo, but I am looking for another opinion.
Any advice or insight would be helpful. Thanks.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

itsfine

Bronze

Re: Top 20% at Cardozo, Secondary Journal

Post by itsfine » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:51 pm

shake shake

SteelReserve

Bronze

Re: Top 20% at T2, Secondary Journal

Post by SteelReserve » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:56 pm

You have no shot at landing a job through OCI. I have no interest in debating this point because I was a witness to the bloodbath last year. Even if you think I'm being negative, please try to remember this post come december of this year when the final rejection letter rolls in, if you were even granted more than a handful of interviews in the first place.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:15 pm

Fair enough. I appreciate the honesty. So if no OCI, then am I employable at all? I have some PI/ government experience on the resume, but I know those jobs are competitive as well. How big of a factor are grades for government work?

pocket herc

Bronze

Post by pocket herc » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:18 pm

As bad as it is out there, I have trouble believing top 20% is not employable. But I could be wrong

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:25 pm

SteelReserve wrote:You have no shot at landing a job through OCI. I have no interest in debating this point because I was a witness to the bloodbath last year. Even if you think I'm being negative, please try to remember this post come december of this year when the final rejection letter rolls in, if you were even granted more than a handful of interviews in the first place.
Shouldn't he at least attempt OCI while also making other plans?

Red Scare

New

Post by Red Scare » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:39 pm

It is a long shot, but you should certainly try for a few big firms. However, you probably shouldn't focus on them exclusively. It would suck to not land a dream job, but not as bad as unemployment.

pocket herc

Bronze

Post by pocket herc » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:42 pm

I think he should definitely attempt interviews, absolutely nothing to lose, and he might get lucky. As to the greater concern of ending up unemployed, it is possible I suppose. There are certainly enough horror stories out there. But OP is still in a decent position, better than the great majority of the class

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:43 pm

I always thought Cardozo was a T1.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zimbadimp

New

Post by zimbadimp » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:51 pm

Kohinoor wrote:I always thought Cardozo was a T1.
It is.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:54 pm

zimbadimp wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:I always thought Cardozo was a T100.
It is.
ftfy.

SteelReserve

Bronze

Post by SteelReserve » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:50 pm

Yes he should definitely make the attempt...I would never suggest someone foreclose any options at this point, even if the odds are slim to none. Odds are being top 20% and non-LR means you will only have to go through a handful of courtesy grip and greets. In another words, a few hours of lost time at worst. At least he won't suffer through the mortifying experience the top 5-10% LR types at my school went through last year, whereby you grip and greet some 20 firms, get dragged to call backs even though you have no realistic shot, only to be dinged a month later.

OP comments on government jobs...I'm not entirely familiar with the NY government market. I know many states have hiring freezes so government jobs are harder to land than OCI ones in certain states.

OP asked if he had a chance to land a job through OCI and the realistic answer, without making the requisite "one in a hundred odds qualifying statement" is that he has no shot. That's OCI. Odds are better for the post 2L trial level clerkship search, though those have become quite competitive and there may be no light at the end of the one year clerkship tunnel.

OP: is there any way you can talk to a 3L at Cardozo and ask for LAST YEAR'S OCI list of firms? Then, compare it to this year's. I ask only because at my T100, we actually have LESS firms recruiting for 2Ls than what I had last year during the class of 2011 meltdown.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:40 am

SteelReserve, I'm not sure how the list of employers compares to last year's. I know, as of now, there are 92 employers listed on the recruitment page (though some are only doing resume collect). I understand that my chances are slim. However, there are some midsized firms coming to OCI who at least traditionally have hired Cardozo students with similar credentials as mine. Once again, I understand everything changes in this economy. I'm meeting with someone from OCS soon, so hopefully she can give me more of an idea of how this year looks compared to last year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:07 am

Do you have ties to a secondary market (Jersey, Philly, upstate, LI etc.)? I knew people in a similar situation to you who got quasi-biglaw jobs in secondary markets. They were also charismatic people, fwiw.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:14 am

Top 20% at a Tier One, or top of Tier Two, very well respected law school, journal experience & an internship with a local federal judge presents an interesting profile deserving of more than a courtesy interview.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:35 am

SteelReserve wrote:
Yes he should definitely make the attempt...I would never suggest someone foreclose any options at this point, even if the odds are slim to none. Odds are being top 20% and non-LR means you will only have to go through a handful of courtesy grip and greets. In another words, a few hours of lost time at worst. At least he won't suffer through the mortifying experience the top 5-10% LR types at my school went through last year, whereby you grip and greet some 20 firms, get dragged to call backs even though you have no realistic shot, only to be dinged a month later.

OP comments on government jobs...I'm not entirely familiar with the NY government market. I know many states have hiring freezes so government jobs are harder to land than OCI ones in certain states.

OP asked if he had a chance to land a job through OCI and the realistic answer, without making the requisite "one in a hundred odds qualifying statement" is that he has no shot. That's OCI. Odds are better for the post 2L trial level clerkship search, though those have become quite competitive and there may be no light at the end of the one year clerkship tunnel.

OP: is there any way you can talk to a 3L at Cardozo and ask for LAST YEAR'S OCI list of firms? Then, compare it to this year's. I ask only because at my T100, we actually have LESS firms recruiting for 2Ls than what I had last year during the class of 2011 meltdown.
SteelReserve, do you even go to Cardozo?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:38 pm

SteelReserve, what school do you go to? Is it in the NYC area?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ahshav

New

Post by ahshav » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:01 pm

Last edited by ahshav on Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteelReserve

Bronze

Post by SteelReserve » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:24 pm

I do not go to Cardozo. I go to a t50-100.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:14 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Top 20% at a Tier One, or top of Tier Two, very well respected law school, journal experience & an internship with a local federal judge presents an interesting profile deserving of more than a courtesy interview.
I have to concur with this, my generally gloomy views - i.e. I tend to think at least a third of my CCN classmates will be screwed this fall - notwithstanding.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:34 am

SteelReserve wrote:I do not go to Cardozo. I go to a t50-100.
So because OCI sucked at your school for students in OP's position, it's definitely going to suck for OP at Cardozo? Do you even go to school in NYC?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:43 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Top 20% at a Tier One, or top of Tier Two, very well respected law school, journal experience & an internship with a local federal judge presents an interesting profile deserving of more than a courtesy interview.
Hello there folks! Thanks for riding the ITE Monster. Please keep your hands and feet inside the ride at all times.

Also, not to nitpick or turn this into a T2 bash, but I don't think Cardozo qualifies as a "very well respected law school" within the biglaw world. The last biglaw partner I spoke to considered Georgetown to be TTT, fwiw.

OP should be able to find a job, but probably not through OCI. OCI is definitely worth doing though. All it takes is one firm to like him. However, it is definitely important to keep the job search broad at this point, and OP should try to tap into a secondary market, if he has any connections to one.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”