Reasonable_Man Departing Mid-Law for Small-Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Gold

Re: Reasonable_Man Departing Mid-Law for Small-Law

Post by 98234872348 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:25 am

romothesavior wrote:I do agree that there are some shitty law jobs in the fields you described, but I also know there are some people making damn good money in those fields. I personally would not want to work in those fields, but all hope is not lost either if that's where a person ends up.
I personally think that if you're making decent money, or, at least enough live comfortably, it shouldn't matter what you do, but then again I'm not an elitist, either.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:35 am

mistergoft wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I do agree that there are some shitty law jobs in the fields you described, but I also know there are some people making damn good money in those fields. I personally would not want to work in those fields, but all hope is not lost either if that's where a person ends up.
I personally think that if you're making decent money, or, at least enough live comfortably, it shouldn't matter what you do, but then again I'm not an elitist, either.
Hey! That makes two of us! Glad to have you aboard.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:11 pm

mallard wrote:Yeah, I've lost sight of what my argument is. Anyway, $70k is pretty close to the lower end of the bimodal distribution. I'm not sure what the effect of IBR is, but it doesn't liquidate the debt, does it?
FWIW, while $70k is closer to the lower end, the median for c/o 2008 was $72k. And under IBR you can have your remaining debt forgiven after 10 years PI work or 25 years shitlaw.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:26 pm

mallard wrote:Yeah, I've lost sight of what my argument is. Anyway, $70k is pretty close to the lower end of the bimodal distribution. I'm not sure what the effect of IBR is, but it doesn't liquidate the debt, does it?

Not sure, but thanks for the vote of confidence. So far what I've gotten from you is that my salary was too low and I worked in shitlaw...

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:30 pm

reasonable_man wrote:

Not sure, but thanks for the vote of confidence. So far what I've gotten from you is that my salary was too low and I worked in shitlaw...
Oh, I like you. You know that. I think we were discussing the "biglaw or bust" mindset, not your situation. Honestly, you're been a consistently great and informative poster and I have no doubt that you do a far above average job of putting yourself in the right place at the right time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:50 pm

This thread somehow keeps getting more embarrassing.

Congrats, RM.

And with that, I'm out.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:04 pm

I love how pushing paper at a huge law firm for a huge corporation isn't considered "shit law." Sounds pretty shitty to me.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:06 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:I love how pushing paper at a huge law firm for a huge corporation isn't considered "shit law." Sounds pretty shitty to me.
Me too. I find the distinction technical and academic, which is why I was surprised when people were offended.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:17 pm

mistergoft wrote:TBF as much as it might pain some of the more skeptical TLSers out there, I work at a firm that is pretty comparable to this.

Many lawyers here work about 50 hours a week (although obviously that is subject to increase depending on their particular caseloads) and are compensated between 100k and 200k. GRANTED this firm really doesn't seem to be too keen on hiring recent graduates and prefers lawyers to lateral in with a couple of years of work experience, and some lawyers here lateraled from "big law" (although we're not talking firms like skadden or kirkland), but I am just saying. These kind of jobs, though likely rare, do exist. In addition, which the environment isn't all hugs and cheerfulness, everyone is very congenial and there isn't a sense of cutthroat competition in any measure of the phrase.

We don't have any unicorns though... :cry:
I have a family friend at one of these types of firms. It's mostly laterals (he's a lateral from another midlaw firm that fell apart after one of the partners died), but they'll take a few SA's every year (typically from the local schools, not from T14's; the firm doesn't even recruit at the T14's though every once in a while they'll get one). They start around $100k/year. Of course, the firm is also on the NLJ250, so maybe it's more like BigLaw, but I wouldn't particularly classify it as so from what I know about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:38 am

Congrats RM! Your past law firm is the exact definition of midlaw from what I've seen.

Drummingreg

Bronze

Post by Drummingreg » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:53 am

Congrats RM!

I don't know if this has been answered but; do you think your opportunity for advancement/making partner is better at your new firm?

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:00 am

Mallard.. No harm, no foul.

As for partnership.. I don't think that anyone can count on it. I think that I had a shot at the place I am leaving and I think that I have a shot at the place I am going to.. Though it seems like the new place might have a shorter partnership track..

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:56 am

reasonable_man wrote:As for partnership.. I don't think that anyone can count on it. I think that I had a shot at the place I am leaving and I think that I have a shot at the place I am going to.. Though it seems like the new place might have a shorter partnership track..
3) More autonomy (I hate having a boss lol);
If partnership doesn't come relatively quickly, do you see yourself hanging a shingle or starting a small firm yourself?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:38 pm

ggocat wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:As for partnership.. I don't think that anyone can count on it. I think that I had a shot at the place I am leaving and I think that I have a shot at the place I am going to.. Though it seems like the new place might have a shorter partnership track..
3) More autonomy (I hate having a boss lol);
If partnership doesn't come relatively quickly, do you see yourself hanging a shingle or starting a small firm yourself?

I never rule out the idea of opening a small firm down the line. I have several friends who have often discussed opening a firm with together, but at this stage, I think some more time at a firm is a good idea. Its absolutely an option I would consider down the line.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:31 am

So this wound up being the best decision I have ever made. Less hours (both actual and billable), a really great boss. Lots of perks and free benefits. And an office overlooking the Hudson. It is possible to be happy as a lawyer. I had no idea; but it can be done. If I walk outside of my office and see a unicorn, I'll know this was all a dream and will promptly fix this post.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:33 am

reasonable_man wrote:So this wound up being the best decision I have ever made. Less hours (both actual and billable), a really great boss. Lots of perks and free benefits. And an office overlooking the Hudson. It is possible to be happy as a lawyer. I had no idea; but it can be done. If I walk outside of my office and see a unicorn, I'll know this was all a dream and will promptly fix this post.
Good for you, reasonable_man!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:33 am

reasonable_man wrote:So this wound up being the best decision I have ever made. Less hours (both actual and billable), a really great boss. Lots of perks and free benefits. And an office overlooking the Hudson. It is possible to be happy as a lawyer. I had no idea; but it can be done. If I walk outside of my office and see a unicorn, I'll know this was all a dream and will promptly fix this post.
Congrats, man! I am really happy for you!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:43 am

Thanks. Its been great. Much more interesting work as well. How is Boston?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:47 am

Going pretty well in the job department. Definitely not the billable fest that NYC was for me.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:22 pm

Congrats RM!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:54 am

Blindmelon wrote:Congrats RM!

Thanks man.. Its been great so far.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bogart

Bronze

Post by bogart » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:17 am

RM, you mentioned that you worked while in school. Given that you went to a lower ranked school in a tough market, was it networking or grades that got you your start?

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:42 am

bogart wrote:RM, you mentioned that you worked while in school. Given that you went to a lower ranked school in a tough market, was it networking or grades that got you your start?

I worked for 2 years before LS, while in college at a largeish (180 Lawyers), firm in NYC. I also worked for a solo in LS, continuing to build my resume. Both of those things lead to my getting a summer associate position at my old firm (80 or so lawyers in NYC), which then lead me to finding my new position. If not for my networking, multiple years of experience obtained before and during law school and the fact that I was willing to work non-stop both in and out of school during law school, I have no question in my mind that I would be an angry, unemployed (or under-employed), grad.

In short, especially ITE, if you're going to go to a TTT (or really anything out of the very top level of law schools), you better be willling to fight to get where you want to be.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”