define shitlaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Tsispilos

Bronze

define shitlaw

Post by Tsispilos » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:21 pm

go

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Re: define shitlaw

Post by TheBigMediocre » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:23 pm

<insert snarky "anything outside V10" comment>

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:26 pm

High billables, low compensation, and little chance for advancement--often coupled with lack of mentoring and/or lack of skills development.

EDIT: And generally, you don't enjoy your job.
Last edited by ggocat on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:26 pm

Where you'll find me in 4 years.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:27 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:Where you'll find me in 4 years.
The apartment your mom rents for you is shit law?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:29 pm

Any field of legal practice that purports to deal with the acts, policies, or procedures related to human excrement.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:29 pm

Doc review, I'd say. I also dislike the idea that all jobs are either biglaw or shitlaw, many lawyers enjoy good careers with small to midsize firms.

(Disclaimer-I'm a paralegal at a midsize firm.)

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:30 pm

Firms that don't pay well, and still make you work terrible hours.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:47 pm

Firms that feel the need to advertise constantly? On the TV, radio and subway trains?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:58 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Firms that feel the need to advertise constantly? On the TV, radio and subway trains?
I think this is close to what the XO kids scoff at, plus insurance, immigration, etc.. I find it laughable though in that they put themselves on some kind of moral high ground in the belief that what they're doing accomplishes some grand purpose in life. They feel those are the people that give lawyers a bad name as they work feverishly to help hide the fuck ups of companies such as BP.

I say it's all shit law and am more than ready to take a big bite. That's good shit!!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:00 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Firms that feel the need to advertise constantly? On the TV, radio and subway trains?
I think this is close to what the XO kids scoff at, plus insurance, immigration, etc.. I find it laughable though in that they put themselves on some kind of moral high ground in the belief that what they're doing accomplishes some grand purpose in life. They feel those are the people that give lawyers a bad name as they work feverishly to help hide the fuck ups of companies such as BP.

I say it's all shit law and am more than ready to take a big bite. That's good shit!!
I don't think they think they are server a greater purpose, just that it's more prestigious,

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:02 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:

I lol'ed

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:04 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Firms that don't pay well, and still make you work terrible hours.
That's where I work right now. The attorney's walk around here like they've mentally got one foot out the window of the high rise and would soooo jump if it weren't for the kids and the dog.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:05 pm

I'm confused as what shitlaw is, these guys make a lot of money. But they aren't respected by the local legal community.

http://www.goodmanacker.com/--- are they shitlaw?

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote: I think this is close to what the XO kids scoff at, plus insurance, immigration, etc.. I find it laughable though in that they put themselves on some kind of moral high ground in the belief that what they're doing accomplishes some grand purpose in life. They feel those are the people that give lawyers a bad name as they work feverishly to help hide the fuck ups of companies such as BP.

I don't think they think they are server a greater purpose, just that it's more prestigious,
They will never be more prestigious than this lawyer:

--ImageRemoved--

AJRESQ

New

Post by AJRESQ » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:11 pm

On JDU it's anything not done at a BIGLAW firm. Personally, I would characterize it as document review.

Look... you can make or lose a lot of money in a lot of different ways. For instance, sometimes you have a major client whose son got a DUI or cited for something stupid. Do you want to refer your biggest client to another lawyer? Or do you want to handle the traffic ticket yourself and keep the client happy? Conversely, you might handle a DUI for some stupid kid, do a nice job, and then it turns out his father is an insurance adjuster with a bunch of high stakes cases who thinks he pays his BIGLAW firm too much money for the work they do.

My advice is to know how to do it all, because you never know where things will go. Don't let your pride stand in the way of success. ("I would never relegate myself to lowly municipal court!") Also, if you're dealing with someone who clearly has limited means, get paid up front. ;) It's better to not do the work and not get paid, than to do the work and not get paid. (Jay Foonberg).

Something else I would consider shitlaw: taking in plaintiff's cases in volume and then settling them all as quickly as possible. That is NOT in the client's best interests, that is in YOUR best interest. If you're the type of lawyer who does that, I have no respect for you. Approach every case like it were going to trial. Once you make the decision to accept a contingent fee case, your only obligation is to your client -- not to your own wallet. It's hard, but you can't take value into consideration. If value was a problem you shouldn't have taken it. Same with defense attorneys.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”