my 1L summer firm's crappy attitude, and fellow SA-gunner Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
handlebutton

New

my 1L summer firm's crappy attitude, and fellow SA-gunner

Post by handlebutton » Sun May 30, 2010 12:11 am

Was a lucky one to get a SA position post-1L. My firm's partners have an abnoxious "you need us real bad to extend you an offer for next summer" attitude about them. They think I'm at their mercy on this point.

Partners have mentioned, at various points of time, about how they hope to extend "some of us" an offer, and then dangled an assignment before us. There is one gunner who has taken 4 assignments on, whereas the rest of us are doing either 1 or 2 concurrently.

I would like an offer for next summer from this firm, it is a regional mid-size firm and I love the work, not necessarily the firm. I do not want to take on more assignments than I can handle, but is this sort of behavior (gunner) on the SA end, and dick-attitude on the partner's end something other people are observing in their 1L SA gigs?

smalltown

New

Re: my 1L summer firm's crappy attitude, and fellow SA-gunner

Post by smalltown » Sun May 30, 2010 12:14 am

You've just described most of corporate America on a day-to-day basis. Assholes are everywhere.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun May 30, 2010 12:31 am

I don't think the gunner is doing anything wrong, but doing too many assignments might hurt him if he's turning in poor work.

The firm is definitely doing something wrong if they ever want to be viewed as something other than a second-rate firm. Turning a summer associateship into a competition is not the sign of an elite, secure firm.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun May 30, 2010 12:42 am

edited / never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Sun May 30, 2010 12:53 am

handlebutton wrote:... My firm's partners have an abnoxious...
jerseyshorelaw?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun May 30, 2010 1:50 am

booyakasha45 wrote:
handlebutton wrote:... My firm's partners have an abnoxious...
jerseyshorelaw?
:lol:

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Sun May 30, 2010 1:57 am

Nightrunner wrote:The "gunner" is just working harder than you, and seems to want it more. Regardless of how we agree or disagree with the morale of the firm, the challenge is simple: "the economy sucks, and we pay awesome money, and if you want it then prove it by busting your ass."
TITCR

I know our educational system doesn't teach you this, but high-end opportunities generally have a "show me how much you want it" element.

The people who say that this kind of explicit expression by the partners is second-rate are right. Make no mistake though, this mentality is present everywhere. At classier firms, it's just more subtle.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sun May 30, 2010 11:21 am

d34dluk3 wrote:Make no mistake though, this mentality is present everywhere. At classier firms, it's just more subtle.
I doubt the attitude is present everywhere. Classier firms aren't taking more SAs than they intend to permanently hire.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun May 30, 2010 11:26 am

edited / never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 30, 2010 12:19 pm

Nightrunner wrote:The "gunner" is just working harder than you, and seems to want it more. Regardless of how we agree or disagree with the morale of the firm, the challenge is simple: "the economy sucks, and we pay awesome money, and if you want it then prove it by busting your ass."
This isn't always true in the SA world and him doing more work may not translate into an offer. I know of one specific instance where a c/o 2010 SA at a firm in NYC was the biggest gunner of his SA class was also the only person in the class to get no-offered (this was at a mid-V100 firm in NYC last year). Apparently it wasn't even his work product; his personality was a huge turnoff to the firm.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Mon May 31, 2010 1:59 am

This firm sucks, but of course that revelation isn't really doing you any good.

As for the work, pretty sure that as a SA, quality >>> quantity.

Don't get caught up in the politics and tomfoolery. Just be nice and do good work.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Mon May 31, 2010 2:10 am

thesealocust wrote:But even (and sometimes especially) the best firms are hiring more people by a wide margin than they expect to make partner, so I'm sure the same kind of attitude crops up...
This is entirely different. Everyone fully expects most biglaw associates to move on the other pursuits, after having benefited from their stay in the form of salary, experience, and a credential.

On the other hand, the no-offer is sort of a kiss of death. Even without the stigma, there is little or no hope of landing a similar gig as a 3L.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:28 am

once you get to the actual practice of law, gunners are "Partners: Before They Were Famous".

someone needs to make a wolf picture with

IF YOU'RE SLEEPING, YOU'RE NOT WORKING HARD ENOUGH

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:37 am

bigben wrote:
thesealocust wrote:But even (and sometimes especially) the best firms are hiring more people by a wide margin than they expect to make partner, so I'm sure the same kind of attitude crops up...
This is entirely different. Everyone fully expects most biglaw associates to move on the other pursuits, after having benefited from their stay in the form of salary, experience, and a credential.

On the other hand, the no-offer is sort of a kiss of death. Even without the stigma, there is little or no hope of landing a similar gig as a 3L.
Is not being asked to return to the firm where you spent a 1L summer as bad as getting no-offered as a 2L SA?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:54 am

OP, I wouldn't let this other SA get to you. If he is being an uber-gunner, there is a good chance the partners see it and are snickering behind his back about it. Every lawyer and law student I've talked to about legal employment has said about the same thing: employers know that almost everyone can handle the types of work. They want to know if they can work with you, which is totally different. If this kid is getting stuff done but rubbing everyone the wrong way, then he is potentially hurting himself. If, on the other hand, he is a great guy with a great work ethic and great work product, then he may get a job out of it, but that shouldn't stop you from getting one too.

As for the firm culture, that sucks. It sounds like this wouldn't be a place that you would be happy long-term, and I would imagine this isn't just how they treat SAs. Or maybe it is just a bad partner you're working under, I dunno. But chin up, stick it out, keep working hard, and good luck,

chitown825

Bronze

Post by chitown825 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:00 am

Have you considered burning down the building?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:30 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:39 pm

Two classes of people got no offered at my V50ish NYC office.

1) People who didn't make an effort at social events
2) People who took too many assignments and their work product sucked.

Some people were in both classes.

Take as much work as you can handle, but work product over volume will win the day. Also, attend the freaking social events. The partners do not attend those for giggles.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:04 pm

swc65 wrote:
bigben wrote:

Is not being asked to return to the firm where you spent a 1L summer as bad as getting no-offered as a 2L SA?
Probably not, because at least you have another time at bat as a 2L. But it wouldn't be a picnic either. Any firm you interview with as a 2L will ask you whether you were asked to return to your 1L firm. I sure wouldn't try to lie about that. I suppose a "cold offer" wouldn't be so bad in this situation.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”