Anyone else nervous to start working?? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Re: Anyone else nervous to start working??

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sat May 22, 2010 2:23 pm

Matthies wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:Well sure...but that's not cancelled. Yall still get to have a good amount of fun by the looks of your social calender.

Ugh, summers and their social events.
Honestly though, I dread the social events. If I'm going to get no-offered, it's going to be because of my lack of schmoozing ability/crooked teeth, not my work product.

Edit: You can ask Dresden for proof of my lack of social graces, btw. It's almost impressive.
Man, you got to work on that, belive me, even with all the networking I do, I'm faking it most of the time, and scared shitless doing it. But at the social events they are still judge you, and they talk about it as well, its not really a social event as much as it is like a two way mirror to see how you get along with other people, it is judged as much as work product, they are watching you. Just suck it up, talk to stanrgers (find a webpage on the interet to give tip) and just think of it as part of the interview process becuase it is. Its sucks, but you gotta play the game if you want the offer, espcially in this economy.
Yeah, I know I have to figure out a way around it. Unfortunately, this is one of those "life problems"--frankly, my inability to schmooze/interact with people I don't know well is one of my biggest problems in general, not just in the professional environment. There's a reason I've been single for a few years running too :lol:

That said, it at least appears that I'm not the worst one in my class, so there's hope...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 22, 2010 2:53 pm

1) I don't think anyone here means to argue that social events are literally canceled in their entirety. They're just scaled back. Frankly, I think that's a good thing.

2) I do think pearalegal just outed her firm. And if I'm not mistaken about what it is, it comes as no surprise that every SA there is socially awkward. However, just because everyone at her firm can be aspie, doesn't mean you can get away with aspie at other places. I started at another firm last Monday, and believe me... the social expectations are incredibly high. Then again, we are known as the "nice" (see: passive aggressive) firm.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sat May 22, 2010 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1) I don't think anyone here means to argue that social events are literally canceled in their entirety. They're just scaled back. Frankly, I think that's a good thing.

2) I do think pearalegal just outed her firm. And if I'm not mistaken about what it is, it comes as no surprise that every SA there is socially awkward. However, just because everyone at her firm can be aspie, doesn't mean you can get away with aspie at other places. I started at another firm last Monday, and believe me... the social expectations are incredibly high. Then again, we are known as the "nice" (see: passive aggressive) firm.
Whoops, deleted my post just in case I did out my job.

Also, whoever you are...if you want to PM me and let me know where you think I am, I'd be curious and keep it totally between us. I was surprised, just because I know of a few firms that have similar programs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 22, 2010 3:09 pm

PM'd. Eager to know if I'm right :mrgreen:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 22, 2010 3:16 pm

Update: THAT'S A BINGO.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Sat May 22, 2010 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Update: THAT'S A BINGO.

*sigh*

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Sat May 22, 2010 4:13 pm

I wish I was in on the secret.

And yeah, I didn't mean to say all outings were canceled. I just said it initially in an over-exaggerated fashion to calm the dude who is intimidated by social events. :wink:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 22, 2010 4:19 pm

I think I know what firm TToN is at. If I'm right, he should be gunning pretty hardcore. His firm is most unlike Pearalegal's.

soundgardener

New

Post by soundgardener » Sat May 22, 2010 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1) I don't think anyone here means to argue that social events are literally canceled in their entirety. They're just scaled back. Frankly, I think that's a good thing.

LOL, obsession with outing + use of the term "aspie" = hardcore xoxo'er.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 23, 2010 3:29 pm

was it S&C? i think they're known for awkwardness?

steve_nash

Bronze

Post by steve_nash » Sun May 23, 2010 4:23 pm

start tomorrow. nervous. i hope my class isn't really competitive with each other.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Sun May 23, 2010 4:25 pm

Started last week. Second summer at a firm (much less stressed about it this time around). If you're doing a big firm, don't worry all that much about the work. It won't be that difficult. Try to enjoy your time. Meet as many attorneys as you can, get tips from your secretary, and ask junior associates nearly any questions you have.

crazycanuck

Gold

Post by crazycanuck » Sun May 23, 2010 4:52 pm

I started this week at a big 4 accounting firm. Feeling a little overwhelmed by it all and we had a week of training and have a buddy, coach, and mentoring partner to help us through it. I can't imagine starting at a biglaw firm where they just throw you to the sharks.

Good luck.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:03 am

Totally revisiting this thread. I am having an AMAZING summer experience so far. I am getting a lot of really substantive work, and even got thrown into a big litigation matter head on (I always thought I was a transactional type of gal - but I am loving litigation b/c I get to research and learn about so many different types of issues). My supervisors have a ton of faith in me and everyone is really respectful, which is an incredible feeling. I am not used to being treated this way (thanks, 1L professors - you know who you are). I sighed a BIG sigh of relief, too, because I am not the biggest fan of law school - but I thankfully love the practice and the work!!

Anyone else want to weigh in??

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:31 pm

IzziesGal wrote:Totally revisiting this thread. I am having an AMAZING summer experience so far. I am getting a lot of really substantive work, and even got thrown into a big litigation matter head on (I always thought I was a transactional type of gal - but I am loving litigation b/c I get to research and learn about so many different types of issues). My supervisors have a ton of faith in me and everyone is really respectful, which is an incredible feeling. I am not used to being treated this way (thanks, 1L professors - you know who you are). I sighed a BIG sigh of relief, too, because I am not the biggest fan of law school - but I thankfully love the practice and the work!!

Anyone else want to weigh in??
No, because I am supposed to be working!

But yah, I am loving it. Working in the law > Law School.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”