Shit, Help! Charged with file sharing.. admission withdrawn? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
beef wellington

Silver

Re: Shit, Help! Charged with file sharing.. admission withdrawn?

Post by beef wellington » Thu May 13, 2010 7:53 pm

Can't believe I'm the first to call flame.

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Fri May 14, 2010 8:47 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
ScaredWorkedBored wrote:Do you mean charged or sued? As in did the USAO actually charge you with criminal copyright infringement? That's a federal felony, which is going to have MAJOR implications on your life and your bar admission. Legal term for this is Very. Big. Deal.

Obviously a new criminal charge of any nature has to be disclosed immediately.
This. Since OP said "charged" I'm assuming criminal charges, but it could be a civil lawsuit. It does matter which, OP.
That's what's weird. Criminal charges normally only come down for people who do stuff like steal workprints from studios and put them online. Your standard torrents will *only* get you sued.
This is what the crim faculty in law school talk about as prosecutorial discretion. The actual federal law lets them ring up pretty much anyone who's ever been more than a token distributor, even without a profit motive. The threshold is $1000 worth, IIRC, which is obviously going to be blown through when you start counting files.

Copyright law's actually a fascinating topic for people who want to compare the law in action to what the civil and criminal statutes actually allow.

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pablo » Fri May 14, 2010 9:01 am

ScaredWorkedBored wrote:
d34dluk3 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
ScaredWorkedBored wrote:Do you mean charged or sued? As in did the USAO actually charge you with criminal copyright infringement? That's a federal felony, which is going to have MAJOR implications on your life and your bar admission. Legal term for this is Very. Big. Deal.

Obviously a new criminal charge of any nature has to be disclosed immediately.
This. Since OP said "charged" I'm assuming criminal charges, but it could be a civil lawsuit. It does matter which, OP.
That's what's weird. Criminal charges normally only come down for people who do stuff like steal workprints from studios and put them online. Your standard torrents will *only* get you sued.
This is what the crim faculty in law school talk about as prosecutorial discretion. The actual federal law lets them ring up pretty much anyone who's ever been more than a token distributor, even without a profit motive. The threshold is $1000 worth, IIRC, which is obviously going to be blown through when you start counting files.

Copyright law's actually a fascinating topic for people who want to compare the law in action to what the civil and criminal statutes actually allow.
This issue is actually one of the reasons I'm going to law school; I've been infringed upon. It is actually some pretty interesting stuff.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 14, 2010 9:23 am

So civil issues don't need to be reported?

I recently got a ticket for a civil violation (open container), is this something I need to report to the law school I will be attending? Nothing in the application seems to require you to report anything that happens after sending in the application/being admitted..

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Fri May 14, 2010 9:29 am

beef wellington wrote:Can't believe I'm the first to call flame.
I'm in this man's camp.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Fri May 14, 2010 9:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:So civil issues don't need to be reported?

I recently got a ticket for a civil violation (open container), is this something I need to report to the law school I will be attending? Nothing in the application seems to require you to report anything that happens after sending in the application/being admitted..
There's a paragraph where you sign/certify on every application that says you promise to notify the school immediately if the answer to any of the questions asks changes up until the day you matriculate.

That being said, the only application I can recall that specifically asked if you had a violation (as opposed to a crime) was NYU. So you may not need to report it. Double check what your app questions exactly asked of you and act accordingly.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Legal Employment”