Columbia ITE - OCI 2009 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Columbia ITE - OCI 2009

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:32 pm

From what I understand, one of the major problems with transferring to Columbia is that depending on when you get your transfer acceptance, some people miss out on bidding for EIP. Our bids are due in a couple weeks, and we don't save spaces for transfers, so I've heard that some people don't get in til after bids close. This means you have to scramble to pick up open spots and resume drop. Doesn't sound like fun.

The only anecdotal evidence I have re: transfers... one ended up at the firm from his 1L summer (not NYC, not biglaw) and one ended up picking up a biglaw gig in the back half of the v100 through some non-OCI means. But I guess the reason people transfer isn't so much for the EIP boost, but for future considerations in graduating with a different diploma on the wall.

Kurama

New

Post by Kurama » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:51 pm

legends159 wrote:seeing as how the markets in most places shrunk by 40-60% according to NALP numbers this looks about right.

As a point of comparison (b/c I've seen some people call SLS and CLS peer schools now b/c of the USNWR repuatitonal scores) Dean Kramer said during ASW that there are 2 2L who don't have jobs.

I noticed the change as well, but it's only a one year thing. People are getting a bit too excited about that. It's not like the NYU rep scores which have been the same or lower than several of MVPB since US News started ranking the schools. People seem not to notice that as much and it's much more significant than this one year result with CLS and SLS.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:04 am

From what I saw, success as a transfer depended almost entirely on the school from which one was transferring (at least for CCN), and this is the only factor I can think of. I know a few who struck out. I know others who are now enjoying dla piper. I know yet others who got V5s and V10s. It's a tad scary.

FWIW: I transferred to CCN. Got 10 callbacks and 4 offers. Might have gotten more, but I cancelled callbacks after I got my top choices. It was a strange experience and not at all what I was expecting.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:10 am

Does Columbia have stats for 2Ls that worked before law school?

deneuve39

Bronze

Post by deneuve39 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:32 am

CG614 wrote:Does Columbia have stats for 2Ls that worked before law school?
The only stats we get are the number of Stone/Kent scholars that are given offers out of the total offers (this is only available by physically visiting Career Services). But, from what I've heard, rising 2Ls with significant work experience (think consulting, finance, government work) did significantly better than those without work experience, especially among those who were around median.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:34 am

deneuve39 wrote:
CG614 wrote:Does Columbia have stats for 2Ls that worked before law school?
The only stats we get are the number of Stone/Kent scholars that are given offers out of the total offers (this is only available by physically visiting Career Services). But, from what I've heard, rising 2Ls with significant work experience (think consulting, finance, government work) did significantly better than those without work experience, especially among those who were around median.
Thanks! That is what I was hoping to hear.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”