Journal/Article/High LWR mitigating low grades for m/s firm? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
KSCO

New

Journal/Article/High LWR mitigating low grades for m/s firm?

Post by KSCO » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:03 pm

Thanks again to those who helped with the secondary journal/law review question. I decided to try for law review. If I win, I win. If I fail, at least I tried and still have the spot on the secondary journal.

I just received my LWR grade back which is very high in contrast to my bottom 10% first semester 1L grades. To what extent could the combination of the LWR grade, the journal, significant pro bono research involvement and having published this year mitigate the very low grades I received in the fall (and possibly could this spring)? I expect to perform better on the exams this spring, however have always, always performed far worse on exams than papers/projects/speaking, etc... I'm also at a law school where everyone else is seemingly brilliant in contrast to me which may be part of the issue - I don't know.

I've geared my second year more towards smaller courses where there are no final exams which should help. I'm not interested in Biglaw, however am in a small to medium/small firm or regulatory agency. I'm also skilled at making connections, which is how I found my summer in-house position - no grades needed. I suspect the no grades needed strategy won't continue to hold up however :-).

Gold

Re: Journal/Article/High LWR mitigating low grades for m/s firm?

Post by 270910 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:37 am

At a top law school, you might have a fighting chance if you pull out of the bottom 10%. Realistically though, all of the journals, writing awards, mock trial, bla bla bla in the world won't make up for grades - at least with respect to large firm, fed govt, prestigious PI, and clerkship hiring.

eth3n

Bronze

Re: Journal/Article/High LWR mitigating low grades for m/s firm?

Post by eth3n » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:04 am

disco_barred wrote:At a top law school, you might have a fighting chance if you pull out of the bottom 10%. Realistically though, all of the journals, writing awards, mock trial, bla bla bla in the world won't make up for grades - at least with respect to large firm, fed govt, prestigious PI, and clerkship hiring.
Agreed, even with 4.0 this semester you are still ~median. Sorry but bottom 10% is pretty low. Network like mad. The only thing that can truly overcome grades is connections, so hit up all those bar associations, alumni events, all that crap. Honestly, I think taking the time to network might be a better use of your time then getting published (unless you are doing a LR note or something). However that is clearly your choice and I am sure there are people that will disagree with me. But it only takes one old person with the juice to get you a job.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”