How can I make partner at a V10 firm? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cutiewiddlebebe

Bronze

How can I make partner at a V10 firm?

Post by cutiewiddlebebe » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:55 pm

How do I do it? What are some of the most-common paths? Which legal market? What should my concentration be in law school? In what area of the law should I practice?

Again, the only thing I care about it making money. I have no friends, no romantic prospects, and don't desire to have a family. Any advice would be most appreciated.
Last edited by cutiewiddlebebe on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gwen

Bronze

Re: My only career goal is to make over 1 million dollars/year.

Post by Gwen » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:56 pm

Space law is where the big bucks are at. As a first year associate you should be making 1mil easy.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:57 pm

I feel sorry for you if this is your only goal.

You should concentrate on NY and DC markets, go to HYS and *hope* you make partner. Even then, it's not going to be a sure thing.

blerg

Bronze

Post by blerg » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:58 pm

Dunkin' Donuts franchise.

cutiewiddlebebe

Bronze

Post by cutiewiddlebebe » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:58 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
You should concentrate on NY and DC markets, go to HYS and *hope* you make partner. Even then, it's not going to be a sure thing.
What about concentration in law school? Corporate/finance stuff?

Also, if you don't make partner at the firm for which you were an associate, does that mean you have to go in-house corporate, or is there any kind of lateral motion among large firms?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:02 pm

cutiewiddlebebe wrote:How do I do it? What are some of the most-common paths? Which legal market? What should my concentration be in law school? In what area of the law should I practice?

Again, the only thing I care about it making money. I have no friends, no romantic prospects, and don't desire to have a family. Any advice would be most appreciated.
Am I correct to presume you think 1mil/year will buy you friends, romantic prospects, love, and affection?

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:05 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:How do I do it? What are some of the most-common paths? Which legal market? What should my concentration be in law school? In what area of the law should I practice?

Am I correct to presume you think 1mil/year will buy you friends, romantic prospects, love, and affection?
I dunno, but I think I discovered who the OP is:

--ImageRemoved--

Drew2010

Bronze

Post by Drew2010 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:06 pm

cutiewiddlebebe wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:

No.. but it will buy me a pretty damn nice boat...
+1

imchuckbass58

Silver

Post by imchuckbass58 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Well, the answer is don't go to law school, go into business instead.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:07 pm

cutiewiddlebebe wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
What about concentration in law school? Corporate/finance stuff?

Also, if you don't make partner at the firm for which you were an associate, does that mean you have to go in-house corporate, or is there any kind of lateral motion among large firms?
Concentration doesn't matter. Go to Harvard, get a job at Wachtell, wash out then get a favorable partner-track job at a lesser firm. Note that there are only 17 firms that average more than $1m PPP: --LinkRemoved--

Although very senior partners at lower firms will make more than the average PPP, you're unlikely to hit $1 million/year at any point working at a firm not on that list.

cutiewiddlebebe

Bronze

Post by cutiewiddlebebe » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:07 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:

Incorrect. I included that bit because people inevitably say some variation of "have fun never seeing your kids/wife/friends."

fiftyonefifty

New

Post by fiftyonefifty » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:09 pm

push cocaine. watch the movie blow to get started

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:10 pm

Drew2010 wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:

No.. but it will buy me a pretty damn nice boat...
+1
Did you really just fake-quote then +1 it?

epic

Spaceman Spiff

Bronze

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:15 pm

In all seriousness, I presume your lack of desire for emotional entanglements is a manifestation of sociopathy. This is the only explanation I can think of that for the desire of the accumulation of wealth without purpose, save for attaining an extraordinary amount of objects, which would be easier to do in a business environment.

cutiewiddlebebe

Bronze

Post by cutiewiddlebebe » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:18 pm

Spaceman Spiff wrote:In all seriousness, I presume your lack of desire for emotional entanglements is a manifestation of sociopathy. This is the only explanation I can think of that for the desire of the accumulation of wealth without purpose, save for attaining an extraordinary amount of objects, which would be easier to do in a business environment.
I want to use the money to fund the production of my album, which will cost upwards of $2 million dollars. Thus, my only career goal is to make enough money to fund my only personal goal. Nothing else matters beyond that.
Last edited by cutiewiddlebebe on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hannibalhamlin61

New

Post by hannibalhamlin61 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:19 pm

Rayiner - I think the information in that link of yours is a decade old.

Back in the good old Hale & Dorr days. Still, I'm not sure if the prospects would look better or worse if that was done with current figures.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:20 pm

You could also make a career of chasing ambulances, suing companies, suing the government, and hope to get lucky with one of those.

hannibalhamlin61

New

Post by hannibalhamlin61 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:21 pm

cutiewiddlebebe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:In all seriousness, I presume your lack of desire for emotional entanglements is a manifestation of sociopathy. This is the only explanation I can think of that for the desire of the accumulation of wealth without purpose, save for attaining an extraordinary amount of objects, which would be easier to do in a business environment.
I want to use the money to fund the production of my album, which will cost upwards of $2 million dollars. Thus, my only career goal is to make enough money to fund my only personal goal. Nothing else matters beyond that.
Oh man, I think I just stepped in shit. And by shit I mean this thread.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:29 pm

This thread is ridiculous, but if that is truly your only career goal then don't go to law school. Get an MBA from Harvard, get into VC and startups. Much less stable then law, much more likely to earn that kind of money.

Ahh, I stand corrected by the guy below me. Drug running is TCR.
Last edited by Flanker1067 on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:30 pm

hannibalhamlin61 wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:

Hilarious.

The answer is obvious and has already been stated ITT. Drug running.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cardnal124

Bronze

Post by cardnal124 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:33 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
hannibalhamlin61 wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:

Hilarious.

Seriously, $2 million to produce your first album? What the hell are you talking about?

Flame

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:40 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
hannibalhamlin61 wrote:
cutiewiddlebebe wrote:

Hilarious.

Clearly not the best choice for one million per year. OP could make a few quick scores (not without a lot of risk), but when OP gets gready is when he'll get killed or caught. Do it once or twice for a good score, he/she could be fine.

Of course, then there is the whole moral and legal aspects of this.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:42 pm

Ha, it's the best per year, even if it is most likely < 5 years till death/prision.

BigFatPanda

Bronze

Post by BigFatPanda » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:45 pm

I think you should go to Business school instead of law school: You're guarantee to make 1 mil/year even when the economy went to hell because you would be taking a private jet to DC and ask for bail out money to cut yourself a 1 million dollar bonus as a pat on your own back for a job well done in swindling taxpayer's money.

All else fails, work as lawyer for the Mexican drug cartel, that would get you 1 million----or specialize in celebrity divorce-----or go to SOmalia and become a lawyer for the pirates-----even better, working for Osama Bin Laden as his personal counsel when he gets captured, i think he's a millionaire or something.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”