How can anyone WANT to do BigLaw? read reviews Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BetterCallSaul

New

Re: How can anyone WANT to do BigLaw? read reviews

Post by BetterCallSaul » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:56 pm

jitsrenzo wrote:
BetterCallSaul wrote:See, I would be content digging ditches all day if I knew I was being useful. What would suck is being told to dig a ditch, then fill it in, then re-dig it, then fill it in...that's biglaw.
How is it that you're so convinced of this?
Do you know anyone in biglaw who can/will talk frankly about the work they do? I know more than a handful and what I wrote above comes up over and over when they talk about work. Sure, I exaggerated and they've got some shining moments, but the "my work is pointless and duplicated" complaint dominates.
jitsrenzo wrote:
BetterCallSaul wrote:It's not that the work isn't "important" enough for my big brain, it's that my work would be useless. I would rather go some place where I'm needed, even if it means taking a pay cut and doing "paralegal" work half the time--so long as I'm actually serving a purpose.

Edit: I don't begrudge anyone who does it for the money. Law school is expensive and money is great. Just not my bag.
Where you're "needed"? They don't really NEED you anywhere, especially a place that does lower level "paralegal" work as you say.
Smaller firms and public interest orgs need lawyers who are "lawyers" but who are not afraid of copy machines.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:02 pm

Here's a point for you: If you know that work is being duplicated, point it out to your supervisor, and score some points. If the supervisor isn't amicable to having it pointed out (if they are intentionally duplicated work to overbill, for example,) then hush up and be thankful for your $160k.

And Good God, you act like lawyers in biglaw firms don't get their hands dirty with copying machines. Newsflash: shuffling everything off on paralegals is a quick way to get yourself hated, and paralegals absolutely have the lawyers by the balls. Piss your paralegals off, and you're going to find your work environment is incredibly unpleasant.

Jay-Electronica

Bronze

Post by Jay-Electronica » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:02 pm

Its all for pecuniary gain, and people will justify it anyway they can. Mo' Money Mo' Money Mo' Money

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:08 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Its all for pecuniary gain, and people will justify it anyway they can. Mo' Money Mo' Money Mo' Money
99% of people work for pecuniary gain. As many people in this thread have pointed out, people work almost as much as biglaw hours for 1/3-1/2 biglaw pay.

BetterCallSaul

New

Post by BetterCallSaul » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:22 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:Here's a point for you: If you know that work is being duplicated, point it out to your supervisor, and score some points. If the supervisor isn't amicable to having it pointed out (if they are intentionally duplicated work to overbill, for example,) then hush up and be thankful for your $160k.
This is the situation my friends are in. They're working for the $$$ and looking to bail in the next few years for slightly less money and a lot more purpose--for now, they do butt loads of pro bono to make the rest bearable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BobSacamano

Bronze

Post by BobSacamano » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:04 pm

Kiersten1985 wrote:Because some people aren't afraid of hard work?

And some people genuinely enjoy the work that they do. Sure, document review for months on end isnt' appealing to anyone but there's always the chance you'll go to trial or pick up a sweet pro bono case. If you generally like law and find it interesting, it's not bad.

Let's face it, you're not scrubbing toilets 24/7.
Ahhhh, to be an 0L again... :lol:

(just poking fun... but really, the vast, vast, VAST majority of BigLaw associate work not be further from "interesting." Drafting pleadings is boring, tedious work.

chloe18

New

Post by chloe18 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:38 pm

nealric wrote:I'm not sure why the OP thinks Skadden represents all biglaw firms.

You will work quite a bit at any biglaw firm, but 55-60hrs a week (though often more like 45 one week and 65 the next) is more typical.
I'm not sure why you think that I think that Skadden represents all biglaw firm. I never said that :|

Thanks to everyone who posted.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:41 pm

And some people genuinely enjoy the work that they do. Sure, document review for months on end isnt' appealing to anyone but there's always the chance you'll go to trial or pick up a sweet pro bono case. If you generally like law and find it interesting, it's not bad.

going to trial?

lol
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:42 pm

BobSacamano wrote:

Ahhhh, to be an 0L again... :lol:

(just poking fun... but really, the vast, vast, VAST majority of BigLaw associate work not be further from "interesting." Drafting pleadings is boring, tedious work.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:43 pm

Last edited by Holly Golightly on Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:52 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
ToTransferOrNot wrote: C: Eventually, the kind of work you do in big firms really is "better work" than smaller firms, though you do have to put in your gruntwork time, as with any office heirarchy aside from the top management consulting firms.
Yeah...I worked at a small firm that regularly goes up against biglaw, and this is complete and utter bullshit.
I suppose I should note that I'm coming at things more from a corporate/transactional/bankruptcy angle. Small firms do small-time work in those fields, for the most part. Litigation can be a different beast.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:57 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote: I suppose I should note that I'm coming at things more from a corporate/transactional/bankruptcy angle. Small firms do small-time work in those fields, for the most part. Litigation can be a different beast.
Okay, I can see that. I was talking lit.
Last edited by Holly Golightly on Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:17 pm

Kohinoor wrote: Image

??? Either I am missing something obvious or this is too nerdy for me. Explain?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rupert.pupkin

New

Post by rupert.pupkin » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:21 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote: Image

??? Either I am missing something obvious or this is too nerdy for me. Explain?
nose candy

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:21 pm

Ha, that is pretty good.

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:41 pm

I'm not sure why you think that I think that Skadden represents all biglaw firm. I never said that
It was strongly implied. The jist of the original post was basically:

Look how awful biglaw is! Here, read this rant about Skadden.

chloe18

New

Post by chloe18 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:46 pm

nealric wrote:
I'm not sure why you think that I think that Skadden represents all biglaw firm. I never said that
It was strongly implied. The jist of the original post was basically:

Look how awful biglaw is! Here, read this rant about Skadden.
Here's what was strongly implied:
"Of course not ALL lawfirms are like this, there are exceptions (like with everything else in this universe). However, generally MANY biglaw firms do have environments similar to Skadden."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”