How do you get into elite law firms?? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Muckduck

Bronze

Re: HOW DO YOU GET INTO ELITE LAW FIRMS?

Post by Muckduck » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:35 am

Renzo wrote:
Muckduck wrote:Depends on the firm, but the cut off is certainly not T14.

For instance, I know that DPW recruits from BYU, which is ranked in the 40's. It seems as if lawyers are sent to their alma maters to recruit. Depending on how ritzy the school is determines how deep in the class they are willing to look. E.g. It seems as if only the top 10% at BYU get looked at, but the top 50% at T3 are in the running.
Davis Polk has exactly ONE BYU grad listed on its website. Top 10% seems to be a huge overestimate.
Looked at =/= hired...

I know the lawyer who is sent there to do the interviews.

The Brainalist

Bronze

Re: HOW DO YOU GET INTO ELITE LAW FIRMS?

Post by The Brainalist » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:23 pm

CG614 wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Man, I hope whatever alt Kurama is using these days sees this. His head is going to explode when he sees UChi is closer to Rutgers than NYU in total number.

Yeah, I mean read into it what you want, but it is interesting. I am debating NYU vs Columbia, and there is something to be said about the job placement at CLS.
Are you guys totally crazy? What is odd about Columbia having four times as many people placed into a top firm in its own city, especially when Columbia is twice as big and only about 20% take employment in NY/NJ/PA from Chicago (2008)? http://www.law.uchicago.edu/prospective/careerstats

rando

Silver

Re: How do you get into elite law firms??

Post by rando » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:10 pm

FunkyJD wrote: Explain what you mean by this. Does transferring to a higher-ranked school adversely affect your job search? How so? I'm trying to understand how this works.

For example ... if your goal was to work for a V100 firm ... if you went to a Tier 2 school, and had the grades to transfer to T14 school after your first year ... would you be better off staying at that Tier 2 and maxing our your grades there, doing law review, etc; or would it be worth it professionally to try and transfer to a T14 school?
Transfers got killed this year even if they participated in their new school's OCI. They mostly didn't get onto law review and firms just didn't hire them.

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:22 pm

rando wrote: Transfers got killed this year even if they participated in their new school's OCI. They mostly didn't get onto law review and firms just didn't hire them.
Is this something you can back up? I know five people who transferred to T6's and all of them got V100 firms.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:30 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:
rando wrote: Transfers got killed this year even if they participated in their new school's OCI. They mostly didn't get onto law review and firms just didn't hire them.
Is this something you can back up? I know five people who transferred to T6's and all of them got V100 firms.
Same way that you back it up. I personally know transfers at NMVPD that completely struck out. This isn't new news.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RealTalk

New

Post by RealTalk » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:58 pm

In terms of prestigious NYC firms its seems like Harvard, Columbia, and Yale are in a category of their own.

Then you have NYU and UChi. And then it seems like its a crapshoot between the rest of the top 14. No real separation beyond the top 6.

Stanford obviously isn't prominently figured because of self-selection by their students away from NYC.

Look at the websites of the top firms and check out where their lawyers went to school. Its easy to see that there is a clear separation between HYCN and everyone else.

For example in Wachtell: 49 went to Harvard.....and 49 went to Columbia.....after that no other school except Yale comes close

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:07 pm

RealTalk wrote:In terms of prestigious NYC firms its seems like Harvard, Columbia, and Yale are in a category of their own.

Then you have NYU and UChi. And then it seems like its a crapshoot between the rest of the top 14. No real separation beyond the top 6.

Stanford obviously isn't prominently figured because of self-selection by their students away from NYC.

Look at the websites of the top firms and check out where their lawyers went to school. Its easy to see that there is a clear separation between HYCN and everyone else.

For example in Wachtell: 49 went to Harvard.....and 49 went to Columbia.....after that no other school except Yale comes close
A) Illogical to explain away Stanford's lack of NYC presence with self-selection but not apply that to Chicago to some extent as well.

B) Wachtell is almost always a bad example. NYC BigLaw is a massive group of firms. Wachtell is a relatively small firm with far-from-normal hiring.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:03 pm

For V5 or V10 firms, is no journal experience (no law review, no secondary journal) a deal-breaker coming from YLS?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For V5 or V10 firms, is no journal experience (no law review, no secondary journal) a deal-breaker coming from YLS?

absolutely not. got no journal experience, am at a lower school, and got a V5.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 270910 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For V5 or V10 firms, is no journal experience (no law review, no secondary journal) a deal-breaker coming from YLS?
Too specific for us to answer. YLS and its lack of grades means there's probably some other rough sort of selection criteria. It might be with enough Hs or HPs or gold stars or temporary tattoos or whatever it is they give out you'd be good w/o a journal. Doubt you'll find much guidance from TLS though...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:39 pm

Same way that you back it up. I personally know transfers at NMVPD that completely struck out. This isn't new news.
Okay, "knowing" transfers doesn't mean that "most" didn't get jobs (I'm not sure if you meant that qualifier to extent to jobs, or just to not making law review, but I think you meant it to cover jobs too, since it's almost a tautology that most transfers don't make LR at their new school).

i know most of the transfers at my T6, and can say that most got nice cushy biglaw jobs. There wre a few who struck out, but they're definitely in the single digits, and definitely nowhere near enough to constitute "most" of the transfer class.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:25 am

RVP11 wrote:
RealTalk wrote:In terms of prestigious NYC firms its seems like Harvard, Columbia, and Yale are in a category of their own.

A) Illogical to explain away Stanford's lack of NYC presence with self-selection but not apply that to Chicago to some extent as well.

B) Wachtell is almost always a bad example. NYC BigLaw is a massive group of firms. Wachtell is a relatively small firm with far-from-normal hiring.
the stereotypical stanford student doesn't want to kill herself working at wachtell. she chose stanford over harvard for a reason

the stereotypical chicago student jizzes in his pants at the thought
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:28 am

How do you get into elite law firms??

Bring knee pads and lube.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:33 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”