NYU 3L's can't get jobs... video about it Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
avacado111

Bronze

NYU 3L's can't get jobs... video about it

Post by avacado111 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:27 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RHha6fYzhY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xHbMHh9XDk

this if from abovethelaw.com...

the full post is:

--LinkRemoved--

Wow... the econ. sucks.

avacado111

Bronze

Re: NYU 3L's can't get jobs... video about it

Post by avacado111 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:44 pm

oops... maybe I posted this in the wrong division... should I have posted this on the lounge?

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:45 pm

What's a Co-League?

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:47 pm

UT & NYU= some very intelligent people doing some very stupid things

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:48 pm

meh. You're always going to find kids that didn't get jobs/got the shaft. My guess is they either didn't do too well academically or just unfortunately bid on the wrong firm. It's a risk we all take. I don't think it's the norm, by any stretch of the imagination, at NYU.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:04 pm

dbt wrote:meh. You're always going to find kids that didn't get jobs/got the shaft. My guess is they either didn't do too well academically or just unfortunately bid on the wrong firm. It's a risk we all take. I don't think it's the norm, by any stretch of the imagination, at NYU.
I kind of agree with this.... but one person on the video has been searching for a job for about a year.

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:18 pm

avacado111 wrote:
dbt wrote:meh. You're always going to find kids that didn't get jobs/got the shaft. My guess is they either didn't do too well academically or just unfortunately bid on the wrong firm. It's a risk we all take. I don't think it's the norm, by any stretch of the imagination, at NYU.
I kind of agree with this.... but one person on the video has been searching for a job for about a year.
yea I didn't really watch much of the video so I don't know. I think common knowledge at this point is that if you got no-offered or were let go early from a firm you are kinda out in the cold. Which is awful, but I don't think it's particular to NYU, and I doubt I'm going out on a limb if I said that Harvard students are having the same problems.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:23 pm

I noticed one student mentioned he did not have any ties to NYC.

In any given situation, if there are two students, A and B, and A has ties to a market (but with lower grades than B) and B does not, A always wins (barring extreme connections - family friend type).

There are a few exceptions, but you get the general idea.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:36 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:I noticed one student mentioned he did not have any ties to NYC.

In any given situation, if there are two students, A and B, and A has ties to a market (but with lower grades than B) and B does not, A always wins (barring extreme connections - family friend type).

This doesn't really apply in NYC. Everyone in New York just assumes that everyone wants to live there. It's the most self-important city on the planet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:15 am

Renzo wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:I noticed one student mentioned he did not have any ties to NYC.

This doesn't really apply in NYC. Everyone in New York just assumes that everyone wants to live there. It's the most self-important city on the planet.
better than ca places not letting outsiders in lol
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:17 am

underdawg wrote:
Renzo wrote:

better than ca places not letting outsiders in lol
I think it's actually that CA firms are constantly getting burned by students taking a callback just to get a free vacation in the sun.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:20 am

maybe they're overcompensating now
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BetterCallSaul

New

Post by BetterCallSaul » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:33 am

the interview subjects seemed nice enough, but oh my god I want to strangle this Chuck character

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:40 am

underdawg wrote:maybe they're overcompensating now
Yeah, that's what I mean. Once bitten twice shy.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:26 am

Chuck has created quite a reputation for himself. Hope he likes this filmmaking gig because that's all he's going to get.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:14 am

wiseowl wrote:Chuck has created quite a reputation for himself. Hope he likes this filmmaking gig because that's all he's going to get.
I met chuck at an alumni lunch a few months ago. He was a networking mofo. I wouldn't have taken him for the group action, make a documentary type.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:33 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:42 pm

What I am wondering is... Is that Kurama? Was he a self-hating NYU 3L all along? :lol:

What an egomaniac. Read the threatening letter he sent to the Student Bar Association. It's priceless.

"I’ve also signed up to be on the class gift committee so I can use my legendary fund raising skills to make this school rich. However, on the flip side (if you pull out of this party), I will now be NYU Law’s worst critic and make sure the school drops to 20 on the U.S. News ranking"

"You really want to talk to Revesz and your board before you do anything, as they will not forgive if you make the mistake of trying to butt heads with me."

"By the way Dean Revesz, by virtue of your age, you should that people like me ALWAYS end up rich and famous, thus NYU Law does not want to get on my bad side now"

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:03 pm

Renzo wrote:

In the past I would agree completely.

I agree that people assume people in law school in New York would like to stay.

I'm just saying that:

Kid A has ties
Kid B does not

Kid A wins (flawless victory).

It is a little more complicated from that, but from what I have personally experienced what I have heard from students from other schools, it seems right.

It would lend an answer to why students who attend schools that feed into markets outside that state are generally decimated (Wash U and Notre Dame seem to have the most said about them).

It simply seems as though a student with ties to Chicago who attends any of those schools would have a massive advantage over a his/her classmates that do not.

Put yourself in the shoes of a hiring partner. If everything was completely equal (which it never is - but it can be close enough), would you hire a kid with ties or a kid without?

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:10 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Renzo wrote:

In the past I would agree completely.

I agree that people assume people in law school in New York would like to stay.

I'm just saying that:

Kid A has ties
Kid B does not

Kid A wins (flawless victory).

It is a little more complicated from that, but from what I have personally experienced what I have heard from students from other schools, it seems right.

It would lend an answer to why students who attend schools that feed into markets outside that state are generally decimated (Wash U and Notre Dame seem to have the most said about them).

It simply seems as though a student with ties to Chicago who attends any of those schools would have a massive advantage over a his/her classmates that do not.

Put yourself in the shoes of a hiring partner. If everything was completely equal (which it never is - but it can be close enough), would you hire a kid with ties or a kid without?
Not seeing this at all.

Maybe in a small market, where firms have a complex about taking on someone from a T10 school or whatever and worrying they'll bolt for a big city firm.

But in top markets -- Chicago, DC, New York -- they're going to take the students from the top schools, with the best grades, who they like the best.

There's an interview portion in Law School Confidential about this. The author interviewed a hiring partner from Ropes Gray who said he didn't care at all about local ties, which he indicated is typical of big firms, while a hiring partner from a small New Hampshire firm pretty much said he required a New England connection.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:13 pm

People like this chuck are a black eye for the entire profession. I sincerely hope MB rescinds his offer and gives it to some deserving candidate.

I can't watch this video or read his email with an open mind. Fuck this kid.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FrankReynolds

Bronze

Post by FrankReynolds » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:29 pm

This dude is in my class but I don't recall him ever speaking.

Good lord is he a loony toon.

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:49 pm

Renzo wrote: I think it's actually that CA firms are constantly getting burned by students taking a callback just to get a free vacation in the sun.
I personally know three people who did this. Only one was even semi-considering the firm before the trip.

And you don't need ties for DC or a global alpha city market - NYC/CHI/LA. LA with the proviso of the above callback abuse. It's all about the money and these are normally considered good places to live for young professionals.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:12 pm

I always thought the major market firms didn't care about ties as much because most of them are (still) heavily leveraged and are counting on associates jumping ship after 2-5 years anyway. Whereas many smaller market firms are legitimately looking for partner potential, and therefore personality, fit, and ties matter more, and grades matter slightly less.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:31 pm

This clown is a terrible writer - anyone read the letter he wrote to protest the cancellation of his party? I don't think he is fit to be a lawyer in the first place. I hope he gets a reality show at some point, though. He would work really well in that environment.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”