Jewelry/watches at interviews? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Jewelry/watches at interviews?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:34 am

I am pretty aware and follow the three pieces rule. I typically wear pearl earrings, a string of pearls, (either white pearls or black pearls) and a watch. I always thought this was OK until I went to a business casual event and a girl said to me "I cannot believe you wear that watch for events like this." It is my dress watch, not my everyday Fossil watch. Is there a general rule on what types of jewelry/watches are OK? I tend to dress quite conservatively for interviews (read low heels, and a knee length black or navy skirt suit and a button down shirt with collar tucked in).

annapavlova

Bronze

Re: Jewelry/watches at interviews?

Post by annapavlova » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:40 am

What bitch would actually say something like that to you? Did you tell her she had an ugly face?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:41 am

annapavlova wrote:What bitch would actually say something like that to you? Did you tell her she had an ugly face?
Actually this is probably an excellent point, even though I tend to like her. The fact that I didn't think of this is probably related to my extreme OCI pre-stress.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
annapavlova wrote:What bitch would actually say something like that to you? Did you tell her she had an ugly face?
Actually this is probably an excellent point, even though I tend to like her. The fact that I didn't think of this is probably related to my extreme OCI pre-stress.
Probably! Just relax. I bet your watch is hot ;).

Edit: errr. How did I anonymous myself? It's Anna. Your watch is hot.

insidethetwenty

Bronze

Post by insidethetwenty » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:13 am

This probably doesn't help you, but for guys I always thought some kind of D1 sport championship ring would be a pretty cool piece of jewelry to wear...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:17 am

insidethetwenty wrote:This probably doesn't help you, but for guys I always thought some kind of D1 sport championship ring would be a pretty cool piece of jewelry to wear...
No male would notice the ring another guy is wearing. No male would notice the ring a woman is wearing unless it is an engagement ring or wedding ring.

/watches for guys can be more important

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:22 am

holydonkey wrote:
insidethetwenty wrote:This probably doesn't help you, but for guys I always thought some kind of D1 sport championship ring would be a pretty cool piece of jewelry to wear...
No male would notice the ring another guy is wearing. No male would notice the ring a woman is wearing unless it is an engagement ring or wedding ring.

/watches for guys can be more important
Guys will notice an NCAA national championship ring or Professional championship ring ...at least for major sports (football, basketball, baseball) the rings are huge and shinny with colorful stones, lol....I have meet people with them and im a guy who is blind to fashion and i noticed them very quickly, as did everyone else in the room. That said I don't know how much i would wear one b/c of how big they are (see ostentatious).

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:39 am

Agreed. You should have pushed her in the street. A watch looks fine/appropriate in business settings. If anything, it sends the signal to employers that you might care about being on time!

AtticusFinch

New

Post by AtticusFinch » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:44 am

Renzo wrote:
Agreed. You should have pushed her in the street. A watch looks fine/appropriate in business settings. If anything, it sends the signal to employers that you might care about being on time!
:lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:03 am

underachiever wrote: Guys will notice an NCAA national championship ring or Professional championship ring ...at least for major sports (football, basketball, baseball) the rings are huge and shinny with colorful stones, lol....I have meet people with them and im a guy who is blind to fashion and i noticed them very quickly, as did everyone else in the room. That said I don't know how much i would wear one b/c of how big they are (see ostentatious).
They're gigantic and gaudy (although pretty cool keepsakes), if I were a guy I would never wear this in a profession setting.

OP, I'm sure your watch was fine ... that's a ridiculous thing for someone to criticize unless it was a velcro casio.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:17 am

missvik218 wrote:
underachiever wrote: Guys will notice an NCAA national championship ring or Professional championship ring ...at least for major sports (football, basketball, baseball) the rings are huge and shinny with colorful stones, lol....I have meet people with them and im a guy who is blind to fashion and i noticed them very quickly, as did everyone else in the room. That said I don't know how much i would wear one b/c of how big they are (see ostentatious).
They're gigantic and gaudy (although pretty cool keepsakes), if I were a guy I would never wear this in a profession setting.

OP, I'm sure your watch was fine ... that's a ridiculous thing for someone to criticize unless it was a velcro casio.
The championship rings are gaudy, but the normal athletic rings can be nice conversation starters. One of my friends played basketball at UT, and all athletes that play a varsity sport for at least one year are given a T Ring upon graduation. He told me that people always ask him which sport he played in college, even though he looks like a regular person (he isn't 6'6" or anything like that). He also said that the ring started conversations that helped him land his current job in Austin.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:25 am

Always err on the side of conservative in interviews. Is the watch that noticeable? Are the interviewers going to look at it and miss something that you are saying? If not, keep wearing it. I just never wear a watch to interviews. I arrive early, and there is usually a clock there. You want to be looking at your surroundings to find out as much as you can about the organization. You can bring things up from this in your interview. Look at the business, not your watch. The same thing with texting. Do not text before an interview. It sounds crazy I would mention it, but many people do this!!! It shows that you are not interested in the position. You want to show employers that you are thinking about your interview. Minimal makeup and minimal jewelry. I usually wear a small pair of diamond study earrings and that it is it. Brown mascara and brown eyeliner so that I can wear makeup but not look like I have too much. One spray of purfume if you must, but no purfume is better. Just trying to help :).

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:25 am

Thirteen wrote:
missvik218 wrote:

The championship rings are gaudy, but the normal athletic rings can be nice conversation starters. One of my friends played basketball at UT, and all athletes that play a varsity sport for at least one year are given a T Ring upon graduation. He told me that people always ask him which sport he played in college, even though he looks like a regular person (he isn't 6'6" or anything like that). He also said that the ring started conversations that helped him land his current job in Austin.
Very true!! I was imagining Conference Championship or World Series rings and thinking NOOOOOO!!!! While something like that is obviously a great achievement and worth being proud of, wearing it in a professional setting just seems ostentatious and out of place. The Varsity Athlete ones are smaller and more tasteful, and you're right definitely a good conversation piece.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”