Secondary IP Markets Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dreman510

Bronze

Secondary IP Markets

Post by dreman510 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:59 pm

Obviously it is a niche field (more specifically-patent).
But after NYC, DC, Houston, SF, and Boston, are there any other cities with somewhat sizable patent law markets?

sanpiero

Silver

Re: Secondary IP Markets

Post by sanpiero » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:05 pm

you forgot one of the biggest (chi)

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:07 pm

sanpiero wrote:you forgot one of the biggest (chi)
Yea my bad, I realized that after...
I guess I was thinking more along the lines of areas like Philly, South Florida, SoCal, Atlanta, NJ?

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:11 pm

seattle and denver should have decent ip markets given their prevalent industries

phoenix has a decent ip market (intc and mot have offices here)

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:04 am

sanpiero wrote:seattle and denver should have decent ip markets given their prevalent industries

What are the prevalent industries in seattle and denver?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:21 am

dreman510 wrote:
sanpiero wrote:seattle and denver should have decent ip markets given their prevalent industries

Don't know about Seattle, but there's biotech in Denver.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:06 am

dreman510 wrote:

amazon, boeing, and microsoft alone should allow seattle a good deal of IP activity

denver has a number of large telecom companies

yeast master

New

Post by yeast master » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:13 am

I've heard that the Research Triangle in NC has a decent amount of IP. I can't remember the name of the firm, but I found one in the area with a bunch of bio PhD's.

basetommyball

New

Post by basetommyball » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:33 am

Dallas and Houston. Plenty of patent work for energy companies. They also provide great opportunity for TR and TM issues.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:55 am

basetommyball wrote:Dallas and Houston. Plenty of patent work for energy companies. They also provide great opportunity for TR and TM issues.
Do you know if there's much biotech IP work in those cities?

yeast master

New

Post by yeast master » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:56 am

Oops. Didn't mean to be anonymous. The last post is mine.

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
basetommyball wrote:Dallas and Houston. Plenty of patent work for energy companies. They also provide great opportunity for TR and TM issues.
Do you know if there's much biotech IP work in those cities?
Is it safe to assume that any city with sizable, respectable research hospitals has some form of biotech/pharmaceuticals going on?

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:07 am

One more question-any city where a pharmaceutical company is headquartered, is there going to be significant patent work there?
For instance-Johnson & Johnson and Merck are both in NJ-does that mean there is a lot of patent work in NJ?
Wyeth is in Philly...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:34 am

dreman510 wrote: Is it safe to assume that any city with sizable, respectable research hospitals has some form of biotech/pharmaceuticals going on?
No. There will be drug trials and research going on, but you want to be where the companies that commercialize such research are.
dreman510 wrote: One more question-any city where a pharmaceutical company is headquartered, is there going to be significant patent work there?
For instance-Johnson & Johnson and Merck are both in NJ-does that mean there is a lot of patent work in NJ?
Wyeth is in Philly..
"a lot" is too strong a qualifier to hang on one drug company. Yes, Wyeth will generate IP work, but probably enough to keep a few lawyers at one firm busy.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:52 am

dreman510 wrote:One more question-any city where a pharmaceutical company is headquartered, is there going to be significant patent work there?
Wyeth is in Philly...
Not really. Just because a company is headquartered somewhere doesn't mean that the IP work will be done there. For instance, I'd imagine the majority of NJ pharm IP would go to NYC or DC. It really isn't that strange, for big and powerful companies, to use IP firms on the other side of the country. The firms tend to be located in larger cities: DC, CHI, SilVal, NYC, LA, HOU, with decent markets also in like ATL, STL, even a little in DET. Your best bet is to look at the larger cities, even if not the premier markets, since more firms will be found there...

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:01 am

starstruck393 wrote:
dreman510 wrote:One more question-any city where a pharmaceutical company is headquartered, is there going to be significant patent work there?
Wyeth is in Philly...
Not really. Just because a company is headquartered somewhere doesn't mean that the IP work will be done there. For instance, I'd imagine the majority of NJ pharm IP would go to NYC or DC. It really isn't that strange, for big and powerful companies, to use IP firms on the other side of the country. The firms tend to be located in larger cities: DC, CHI, SilVal, NYC, LA, HOU, with decent markets also in like ATL, STL, even a little in DET. Your best bet is to look at the larger cities, even if not the premier markets, since more firms will be found there...
So LA has decent Patent practices?

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:05 am

dreman510 wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
Wyeth is in Philly...
Yea, not as much as SF-SilVal, but still a large amount. If I had to rank IP markets, I'd probably have LA at 5, behind DC, SF-SilVal, Chi and NYC, in that order...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:26 pm

starstruck393 wrote:
dreman510 wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
Wyeth is in Philly...
Yea, not as much as SF-SilVal, but still a large amount. If I had to rank IP markets, I'd probably have LA at 5, behind DC, SF-SilVal, Chi and NYC, in that order...
NYC at #4, behind Chi?

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:36 pm

dreman510 wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:
dreman510 wrote:
starstruck393 wrote:One more question-any city where a pharmaceutical company is headquartered, is there going to be significant patent work there?
Wyeth is in Philly...

NYC at #4, behind Chi?
That's my opinion, yea. Chi seems to have a more developed IP culture going on. NYC's no slouch with IP, but I'd say the market in Chicago is bigger...

matrix637

New

Post by matrix637 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:53 pm

Which one of these areas/schools do you think offer greater job prospects for biotech patent? Houston UofH, SilVal Santa Clara or LA Loyola?

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:13 pm

matrix637 wrote:Which one of these areas/schools do you think offer greater job prospects for biotech patent? Houston UofH, SilVal Santa Clara or LA Loyola?
The big question is where do you want to practice. I'd say, in an abstract, IP sense, the order is Santa Clara, UH, Loyola LA. Santa Clara probably has the best IP program out of the three, and is in the best IP market, but UH is the best overall school, and isn't bad for IP (I know a Chi biglaw partner who does biotech IP and went to UH, for instance). Loyola seems to be lacking behind. But location is big. Santa Clara would win in SilVal, UH in TX, and Loyola would most likely beat out Santa Clara in LA.

Objectively, I think the best biotech market out of those would be SilVal, but you'd also have the stiffest competition, whereas UH would give the best odds competition wise. I'd personally pick between those, based on which area you'd rather be in...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”