what's the lowest salary one can expect with a JD? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

what's the lowest salary one can expect with a JD?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:02 am

worst case scenario with a JD, what salary are we talking?

iYale

New

Re: what's the lowest salary one can expect with a JD?

Post by iYale » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:03 am

Nothing

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:worst case scenario with a JD, what salary are we talking?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wa ... ted_States

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:16 am

Last edited by beesknees on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:20 am

in some places, I know salaries for first-year lawyers with no experience are drifting backwards towards the $30,000 mark. I know a couple people from my class of 09 at a t1 who are making 32 and 35.5 at two small firms. i make 50k as a first year

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:23 am

Have you ever given temp attorney jobs a thought (As in the $35 or so hourly wage plus overtime charge that they usually get). But I guess the wages earned should be calculated sparingly since these jobs are nevertheless temporary. If someone could spit out a realistic calculation of how much an active temp attorney (temp attorneys who search for projects on a regular basis) makes, that would be wonderful.

narkizopoint

Bronze

Post by narkizopoint » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:24 am

close your eyes and what do you see?

dutchstriker

Bronze

Post by dutchstriker » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:26 am

EdmundBurke23 wrote:Have you ever given temp attorney jobs a thought (As in the $35 or so hourly wage plus overtime charge that they usually get). But I guess the wages earned should be calculated sparingly since these jobs are nevertheless temporary. If someone could spit out a realistic calculation of how much an active temp attorney (temp attorneys who search for projects on a regular basis) makes, that would be wonderful.
Would you like to borrow my calculator?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:28 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:34 am

dutchstriker wrote:
EdmundBurke23 wrote:Have you ever given temp attorney jobs a thought (As in the $35 or so hourly wage plus overtime charge that they usually get). But I guess the wages earned should be calculated sparingly since these jobs are nevertheless temporary. If someone could spit out a realistic calculation of how much an active temp attorney (temp attorneys who search for projects on a regular basis) makes, that would be wonderful.
Would you like to borrow my calculator?
Well I didn't mean that I can't multiply numbers. Asians, such as myself, grew up multiplying things in our heads in order to avoid being beaten by wooden stix by ur oriental parents.

I just wanted someone knowledgeable to share with us the number of hours that an active temp attorney can secure in order to earn his hourly/over-time wages. This would require not just the total number of hours that she would be able to work, but also the number of hours that she would generally do in a given week.

MF248

Bronze

Post by MF248 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:35 am

0, zero

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:46 am

Some firms pay 145k instead of 160k.

Zapatero

Silver

Post by Zapatero » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:57 am

Depending on loans, I'd say -$500/month.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ChrisC

New

Post by ChrisC » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:00 am

From craigslist:

Entry level plaintiff's civil litigator wanted (San Diego)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-02-12, 5:11PM PST
Reply to: job-yz8sj-1598503040@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for 0-2 year attorney for ENTRY LEVEL POSITION in busy downtown civil litigation firm that practices exclusively personal injury.

Email:

1. Cover letter
2. Resume
3. Writing sample
4. References

The starting salary is $10/hour to start, full time.
If this starting wage is too low, please do not respond.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:03 am

I really cannot imagine anyone taking that. I mean, I work as a temp and make nearly double that.

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:29 am

Flanker1067 wrote:I really cannot imagine anyone taking that. I mean, I work as a temp and make nearly double that.
I'm wondering if foreign language doc review temps are really able to rake out $60/hour.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:34 am

Flanker1067 wrote:I really cannot imagine anyone taking that. I mean, I work as a temp and make nearly double that.
BAM! It's 2014 and you're fresh out of law school. You've had trouble finding a job but two offers have suddenly opened up which is a godsend since you're $180,000 in debt. You can do temp work for $20 and give up any chance of every paying off your loans or doing anything beyond scraping by OR you can do legal work for $10 and receive job training and maybe one day you hang your own shingle and make 200k a year.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:46 am

Kohinoor wrote:
BAM! It's 2014 and you're fresh out of law school. You've had trouble finding a job but two offers have suddenly opened up which is a godsend since you're $180,000 in debt. You can do temp work for $20 and give up any chance of every paying off your loans or doing anything beyond scraping by OR you can do legal work for $10 and receive job training and maybe one day you hang your own shingle and make 200k a year.
Temping is really looked down upon, at least in this market. RM told me that his firm (the elusive midlaw) would think twice about hiring someone who had been a contract attorney. It's kind of a cruel standard IMO, because recent grads need to start chipping away at that debt somehow.

James Bond

Gold

Post by James Bond » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:47 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Temping is really looked down upon, at least in this market. RM told me that his firm (the elusive midlaw) would think twice about hiring someone who had been a contract attorney. It's kind of a cruel standard IMO, because recent grads need to start chipping away at that debt somehow.
Did he say why? I mean, I can guess and all, but did he give the concrete reasons?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:49 am

beesknees wrote:Unemployment benefits??
You don't get unemployment if you never had a job in the first place.

ccs224

Bronze

Post by ccs224 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:55 am

Nothing, minus loan payments, so around -$2000 a month or so, depending.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Zapatero

Silver

Post by Zapatero » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:58 am

ccs1702 wrote:Depending on loans, I'd say -$500/month.
ccs224 wrote:Nothing, minus loan payments, so around -$2000 a month or so, depending.

First the name, now the posts. Not cool, dude. I was a bit more conservative, though.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:09 am

ccs1702 wrote:
ccs224 wrote:Nothing, minus loan payments, so around -$2000 a month or so, depending.

First the name, now the posts. Not cool, dude. I was a bit more conservative, though.
Seriously? If both of you are going to stick around her for more than a few hundred posts, one of you is going to have to fix that. I'll never keep you straight.

ccs224

Bronze

Post by ccs224 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:27 am

Renzo wrote:
ccs1702 wrote:

Seriously? If both of you are going to stick around her for more than a few hundred posts, one of you is going to have to fix that. I'll never keep you straight.
Just remember that I'm the one with the cute cat who is always right. The other is Mr. Bean.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:30 am

James Bond wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Did he say why? I mean, I can guess and all, but did he give the concrete reasons?
I'm not certain why. This profession is obsessed with prestige, which should surprise no one. Given the state of the legal market, it probably no longer reflects badly on someone if they can't get a better job right away.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”