Told to Wear "Casual" Clothes to an Interview Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
the fledgling

Bronze

Told to Wear "Casual" Clothes to an Interview

Post by the fledgling » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:32 pm

Hello TLS (it's been a while).

I have an interview tomorrow with a member of a major music company's legal department. We'll be meeting at my law school and he made a point of telling me that this was an "informal meeting" and I should "dress casually."

My question is what does this mean?

Casual like put-together-fashionable casual (tailored jeans, silk shirt, and heels)? Or business-casual (skirt, silk shirt, heels)? Given the industry (music) and my email conversations so far, I'm leaning towards the former. Your thoughts are much appreciated :D

charlesjd

Bronze

Re: Told to Wear "Casual" Clothes to an Interview

Post by charlesjd » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:35 pm

Business casual is usually the same thing as formal minus the tie. Jeans are a no no. I was told business casual for an interview, but decided to go formal. When I got there everyone else was formal too. It never hurts to look your best. It is up to you though, as career office.

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:37 pm

Without a doubt, I would go conservative business casual. You will feel like a moron if you notice you're underdressed. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a little over dressed.

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:40 pm

I'm in NY. The vibe I get is that's it not business casual and the person I'm meeting with may be the current intern... That combined with the industry is making me think that I should go trendier, but I see everyone's point so far. I've been overthinking this.

Oblomov

Bronze

Post by Oblomov » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:43 pm

charlesjd wrote:Business casual is usually the same thing as formal minus the tie. Jeans are a no no. I was told business casual for an interview, but decided to go formal. When I got there everyone else was formal too. It never hurts to look your best. It is up to you though, as career office.
Formal means black tie.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:44 pm

For what its worth, I had an interview in New York after undergrad with a major edit studio...I was told the same thing in regards to dress and wore very dark jeans, low heels, and a dressy but simple cardigan with my hair pulled half back. I fit completely in in the office and the woman interviewing me actually said, "thank god you didn't wear a suit like some of the kids who walk in there. We're not a bank, for gods sake."

I got the job, too, in case that helps as well.

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:49 pm

Pearalegal wrote:For what its worth, I had an interview in New York after undergrad with a major edit studio...I was told the same thing in regards to dress and wore very dark jeans, low heels, and a dressy but simple cardigan with my hair pulled half back. I fit completely in in the office and the woman interviewing me actually said, "thank god you didn't wear a suit like some of the kids who walk in there. We're not a bank, for gods sake."

I got the job, too, in case that helps as well.
Having worked in the media industry in NY for a couple of years before LS, this is precisely what I'm worried about - especially since I won't be going to the office - I'm just meeting a member of the legal department at my school.

I could go with a skirt and silk shirt, black tights and heels/booties.... I have to look through my closet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”