1L Summer- Need Advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer- Need Advice

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:18 pm

Hi- I've been on this forum for a while, but I am doing this anon. because my classmates are on here as well. I need advice for this summer- I was in the top 15% of my class at a T2 school, I am taking a class this summer so I have to stay in this area. I was offered a research position with my professor from last semester, and I have a job a small law firm that I have been working at during the year. So my question is, should I do the research position and continuing working with the firm I am at. Or should I take the research position and try and get a job in another field of law (since I have not yet decided what I am going to do)?

Also as a side note: I had an internship last summer with the legal department of a corporation (if that means anything)

Thanks for the advice!

Georgiana

Silver

Re: 1L Summer- Need Advice

Post by Georgiana » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:16 pm

Unless you want to find a job in another field, I think being an RA and working in a small firm is fine. You'll continue to build relationships with people at the firm and also have a professor you can get a LOR from if you decide you want to clerk. You can always look for another job and if you find something you like better, tell the firm that you'll come back during the school year.

Anonymous User

Re: 1L Summer- Need Advice

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:19 pm

Ask your professor if you can do research for him part-time while working at the firm or some other position in the summer. This is what I'm doing. There's a very good chance that he doesn't need or even want anywhere near 40 hours/wk of your time.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”