Effectve way to get 0L legal experience and contacts? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
eye

Bronze

Effectve way to get 0L legal experience and contacts?

Post by eye » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:51 pm

I don't know anyone in the legal field and would like to make some contacts. I'm looking to get any kind of legal experience and get a better idea of what I want to do after law school.

Is it acceptable to do cold walk ins and ask for internship/volunteer opportunities? I'm thinking just get a whole bunch of leads from the phone book and internet and follow accordingly.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

sapp

Bronze

Re: Effectve way to get 0L legal experience and contacts?

Post by sapp » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:32 pm

I'd start by talking to friends/family/coworkers etc. You'd be surprised how many people know someone that practices law and usually you can get a connection that way.

Other than that you can try the phonebook/email/call approach or search the way you would search for any job.

I've heard that http://www.martindale.com is a great directory for attorneys (and free!).

Sobriquet

New

Post by Sobriquet » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:06 am

I would also look at volunteer opportunities through Idealist.org. In this economy, you are probably going to get a public interest job your 1L summer and it definitely helps if you have some volunteer, non-profit type experience/interest on your resume, even if you eventually want to work at a law firm.

eye

Bronze

Post by eye » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:45 pm

Thanks for the links!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”