How behind am I? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
underachiever

Bronze

How behind am I?

Post by underachiever » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:46 am

So I have been rejected by all 25 firms I applied to (local markets in home state that has no jobs to begin with) and I applied to 4 US attorney offices and 50 judges (home state & where I went to college) last week and have heard nothing....So will I be working traffic court this summer? Any advice?

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: How behind am I?

Post by thesealocust » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:48 am

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:54 am

underachiever wrote:last week
You do understand that this takes time?

Did you apply with all of your grades?

(I only have one at the moment)

:-(

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:12 pm

USAO at SF/DC/NYC is too late.

Judges at NYC/DC may be too late. Nor Cal isn't because they require grades as part of their policy.

Biglaw is not too late either at major markets because some (the ones that are hiring) don't make decisions w/o grades and I've noticed that there have been job openings recently (or at least hints of it).

Government jobs are not too late, deadlines are in March. Though some are rolling.

Public interest is not too late, deadlines are in Feb/March. Though some are rolling.

So yeah, no need to panic. Once you have all your grades and know how you stand, start the mass mailing.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:23 pm

legends159 wrote: start the mass mailing.
I believe 79 applications indicates that the mass mailing has begun.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:24 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
mass mail your transcript out to places you've applied to. And then broaden the type of jobs you're willing to take to potentially include PI/fed and state Gov't/state judges etc.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:26 pm

legends159 wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
mass mail your transcript out to places you've applied to. And then broaden the type of jobs you're willing to take to potentially include PI/fed and state Gov't/state judges etc.
You're talking to the OP, right?

Because I was just teasing.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:35 pm

yeh OP

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:34 pm

all isn't lost but you're pretty behind. i've sent out almost 250 apps to 5 different markets where i have some sort of tie. the judges i have talked to seem ready to get this over with and are hiring all the time. Firms, by and large, aren't hiring.

Focus on apps you can email, I guess. You sacrifice the formality and personal touch of a written letter but you save a ton of time and money.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:43 pm

This scares me. I've only applied to 10 places, got 2 interviews coming up. I guess I need to start moving on the whole getting employed thing.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:all isn't lost but you're pretty behind. i've sent out almost 250 apps to 5 different markets where i have some sort of tie. the judges i have talked to seem ready to get this over with and are hiring all the time. Firms, by and large, aren't hiring.

Focus on apps you can email, I guess. You sacrifice the formality and personal touch of a written letter but you save a ton of time and money.
You wrote your cover letter?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:34 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:all isn't lost but you're pretty behind. i've sent out almost 250 apps to 5 different markets where i have some sort of tie. the judges i have talked to seem ready to get this over with and are hiring all the time. Firms, by and large, aren't hiring.

You wrote your cover letter?
i had a 3 paragraph letter; if it was a firm i tried to make at least one paragraph tailored to the firm. if it was a judge theres a little less i can do other than geography and interest differences.

but yes, i printed and signed every letter unless the firm had an online app or they absolutely demanded email.

CCA

New

Post by CCA » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:08 pm

I also did judge applications 2 weeks ago and some judges were quick to respond. I immediately got about 10 rejections, 1 state judge interview, and 1 federal judge who was waiting for grades. The last few days I heard nothing and I am also wondering if many of the judges are done with hiring?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:20 pm

legends159 wrote:USAO at SF/DC/NYC is too late.
False. USAO for NYC is definitely still accepting applications. Many of them are interviewing on campus (see: they are interviewing at my school in ~2 weeks), too, so check to see if they are coming to your school. And according to their offices, their official deadlines are all in February.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
legends159 wrote:USAO at SF/DC/NYC is too late.
False. USAO for NYC is definitely still accepting applications. Many of them are interviewing on campus (see: they are interviewing at my school in ~2 weeks), too, so check to see if they are coming to your school. And according to their offices, their official deadlines are all in February.
for those of us who go to schools where they're not doing OCI it may be too late. I know they reserve slots for OCI though.

postitnotes

Bronze

Post by postitnotes » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:52 pm

legends159 wrote:
Judges at NYC/DC may be too late. Nor Cal isn't because they require grades as part of their policy.
While I more or less agree with the first sentence, I disagree with the second. Nor Cal federal judges do not require grades as part of their policy. Many do, but it is not policy. I know people who have been hired by Nor Cal judges without grades.

I think OP should only be really concerned if he wants firm work or a federal externship. PI and government deadlines are usually in late January/February.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:10 pm

Don't feel terrible, I sent out 100 resumes and so far have 1 interview lined up.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:40 pm

yeah apparently OCS wasn't clear about the grade policy w/r/t judges which sucks for me. Apparently everyone but me got the "hint" "hint" that even the grade policy doesn't apply to all, and those who adhere to the grade policy will still take and interview students w/o grades.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”