Just Above the Median at OK School Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Just Above the Median at OK School

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:11 am

I just finished first semester at a Top-50 school in a fairly diluted legal market (San Francisco.) It seems as a result of being just above the median (3.2 was my final GPA if this helps), clerkships are most likely out of reach and public agencies are probably not going to bite either. Im interested in getting into big-law (which I understand will be contingent on doing very, very well this spring.) I understand the goal of 1l summer is to get some good experience and just generally to have something to talk with employers about at OCI, etc. Given my situation where all would you look for summer employment? I am straight out of undergrad with no work substantial work experience. Any help is appreciated. thanks.

dresden doll

Platinum

Re: Just Above the Median at OK School

Post by dresden doll » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:32 am

There's tons of judges out there. I'd shoot for a judicial externship, seriously. Not all of them are all that prestigious or that difficult to come by.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:04 am

Im gonna try to slide into a externship through some local connections but if that doesn't work out I'll probably be looking at smaller firms, solo practitioners, etc. I mean are large/mid-size firms really going to care what I did (aside from judicial externships) as long as its legal and helpful in developing my lawyering skills?

Tree

New

Post by Tree » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:08 am

Really, just don't work at Pizza Hut. Anything legal will be alright.

Whatever options you are considering, just ask yourself whether you feel you would be able to discuss that experience with an interviewer next fall.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:45 am

Whatever options you are considering, just ask yourself whether you feel you would be able to discuss that experience with an interviewer next fall.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I kind of figured this was the case. What type of work are you similarly situated folks looking for in terms of summer work?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”