below median 1L grades... what are my summer options? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
happycheeks

New

below median 1L grades... what are my summer options?

Post by happycheeks » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:50 am

So I go to a TTT in California that has a grading curve in the upper 2.0. My first semester GPA is, unfortunately, 1.99. What are my options for this summer?

and no, this post is not a joke :oops:
I knew the material and did pretty well on midterms and practice tests throughout the semester (random practice tests I found and those that profs handed out and went over). However, I was going through a lot - for a legitimate reason - at the time leading into and during finals so that's basically why I did so badly. For what it's worth, Torts and Civ Pro were what ultimately killed my GPA.

Thanks all.

happycheeks

New

Re: below median 1L grades... what are my summer options?

Post by happycheeks » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:53 am

oh and no one needs to mention that I have no chance at biglaw. Either way it's not something I ever wanted to pursue anyway, though I'm not exactly sure what I want either so I'm still trying to figure things out. Thanks again everyone.

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:54 am

i never wanted to bang that super hot chick i saw on the subway yesterday either. not for me
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

happycheeks

New

Post by happycheeks » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:58 am

underdawg wrote:i never wanted to bang that super hot chick i saw on the subway yesterday either. not for me
lol, thanks I needed the laugh... no but seriously, I speak from experience. The lifestyle and the stress... I just don't have it in me.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:01 am

Are you sure this profession is for you? Are you racking up large amounts of debt?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:05 am

honestly, you either have to be one charming motherfucker...or you need to consider dropping out. seriously. what kind of job are you looking for anyway, after law school. not big law can mean anything from federal prosecutor to...i dunno, something considerably easier.
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:08 am

happycheeks wrote:So I go to a TTT in California that has a grading curve in the upper 2.0. My first semester GPA is, unfortunately, 1.99. What are my options for this summer?

I knew the material and did pretty well on midterms and practice tests throughout the semester (random practice tests I found and those that profs handed out and went over). However, I was going through a lot - for a legitimate reason - at the time leading into and during finals so that's basically why I did so badly. For what it's worth, Torts and Civ Pro were what ultimately killed my GPA.

Thanks all.
Pro:
You're a 1L so you can do anything or nothing this summer.
Con:
With a 1.99 at a TTT you need something amazing on your resume this summer.
With a 1.99 at a TTT in California, I can't imagine you being in the running for even the least appealing jobs in the industry. You have the median and above students from like 12 other schools competing with you.

happycheeks

New

Post by happycheeks » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:09 am

Bankhead wrote:Are you sure this profession is for you? Are you racking up large amounts of debt?
Sorry, just wondering which part of my posts you are referring to so I can better answer your question. Nonetheless, yes I'm sure this profession is for me. Specifically, I'm mostly interested in small firms or in-house (both of which I worked for during and after college), but I'm just not quite sure which area of law yet. I am alright financially/debt-wise.

happycheeks

New

Post by happycheeks » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:14 am

Kohinoor wrote:
happycheeks wrote:So I go to a TTT in California that has a grading curve in the upper 2.0. My first semester GPA is, unfortunately, 1.99. What are my options for this summer?

Thanks all.
Pro:
You're a 1L so you can do anything or nothing this summer.
Con:
With a 1.99 at a TTT you need something amazing on your resume this summer.
With a 1.99 at a TTT in California, I can't imagine you being in the running for even the least appealing jobs in the industry. You have the median and above students from like 12 other schools competing with you.
Thanks for the honesty. In the long-run though, would I be okay if I pull up my 1L grades? Like I said, I did great on other tests (top 10% after midterms -- should I include that in my resume? sounds silly to do so) but unforeseeable circumstances seriously interfered with finals.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:31 am

happycheeks wrote:
Bankhead wrote:Are you sure this profession is for you? Are you racking up large amounts of debt?
Sorry, just wondering which part of my posts you are referring to so I can better answer your question. Nonetheless, yes I'm sure this profession is for me. Specifically, I'm mostly interested in small firms or in-house (both of which I worked for during and after college), but I'm just not quite sure which area of law yet. I am alright financially/debt-wise.
You answered the questions just fine.

Perhaps you could get a research assistant position. Are you close with any particular profs?

Just work your connections. Contact every attorney and judge you know. You could volunteer to clerk for free at a law firm.

JackRyan

New

Post by JackRyan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:51 am

Bankhead wrote:
happycheeks wrote:

Perhaps you could get a research assistant position. Are you close with any particular profs?

Just work your connections. Contact every attorney and judge you know. You could volunteer to clerk for free at a law firm.
+1

tome

Bronze

Post by tome » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:48 pm

I think a 1.99 is mathematically impossible after only 4-6 grades. What gives?

happycheeks

New

Post by happycheeks » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:45 pm

JackRyan wrote:
Bankhead wrote:
happycheeks wrote:

+1
Thanks. I'm fairly close with my LRW professor and I have some contacts from work experience during/after college. I've made a preliminary list of other possible leads also so we will see how that works out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

happycheeks

New

Post by happycheeks » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:53 pm

tome wrote:I think a 1.99 is mathematically impossible after only 4-6 grades. What gives?
Oh, believe me. It's possible. I have five classes... 2.6 in one class, 2.2 in another... and the rest are below 2.0. My Torts and Civ Pro grades are also not only based on the final. Class participation for those classes were also graded on a curve and I suck in class.

IStillPlayVideoGames

New

Post by IStillPlayVideoGames » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:33 pm

happycheeks wrote:
tome wrote:Class participation for those classes were also graded on a curve and I suck in class.
How the hell do you grade class participation on a curve?! I can see that turning every 1L class into a shit show right quick.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”