UVA degree in New England Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
eljay

New

UVA degree in New England

Post by eljay » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:02 pm

Hey There,

I'm getting ahead of myself here, but whatever. So, I'm a Virginian attending UVA law next fall . . . grew up and have family in New England . . . ultimate goal of practicing in New England . . . optimally Boston and northward . . . especially Portland. I'm interested in biglaw, at least until I can pay down my loan debt . . . guess Pierce Atwood is the closest thing Portland gets to "biglaw" . . . I assume UVA is a portable degree, but does anyone know any UVA alums practicing in Boston or Portland? What are the extra steps I need to take while in law school to locate a job in a more geographically distant city such as Boston, as opposed to one in DC or NYC?

Thanks!

CE2JD

Silver

Re: UVA degree in New England

Post by CE2JD » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:30 pm

UVA it TTT.

eljay

New

Post by eljay » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:00 pm

Thanks man! What a help!

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:28 pm

If you are willing to do the leg work back in portland, i'm sure it UVA could get you there. But dont expect them to come to your OCI.

you also could have gone to UMaine, for free or cheap instate tuition. They dominate most of the firms in Maine, even the big ones.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:30 pm

eljay wrote:Hey There,

I'm getting ahead of myself here, but whatever. So, I'm a Virginian attending UVA law next fall . . . grew up and have family in New England . . . ultimate goal of practicing in New England . . . optimally Boston and northward . . . especially Portland. I'm interested in biglaw, at least until I can pay down my loan debt . . . guess Pierce Atwood is the closest thing Portland gets to "biglaw" . . . I assume UVA is a portable degree, but does anyone know any UVA alums practicing in Boston or Portland? What are the extra steps I need to take while in law school to locate a job in a more geographically distant city such as Boston, as opposed to one in DC or NYC?

Thanks!
Transfer to Harvard.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:26 am

CE2JD wrote:UVA it TTT.

I was under the impression a UVA JD would enable me to secure any job, anywhere, for any amount I desired. Are you telling me I was misinformed...?

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:33 am

doritos are delicious, but so artificial.

it should have some mobility. maybe consider doing your summers in portland? it will take a lot of extra effort throughout law school, but will probably make it significantly easier when you graduate since you'll already have connections.

and get good grades. that never hurts.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:33 am

Thanks!
Make good grades. UVA can get you into Boston but you probably need above average to good grades. Thats just a guess with no actual knowledge though. CE2JD could probably answer this properly but he isn't very nice. 8)

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:43 am

jawsthegreat wrote:

Thanks!
Make good grades. UVA can get you into Boston but you probably need above average to good grades. Thats just a guess with no actual knowledge though. CE2JD could probably answer this properly but he isn't very nice. 8)
CE's probably asleep like the lame-o McLoserpants he is, so I'll give it a shot:

UVA it TTT.

[To answer OPs post: UVA is a school with legitimate national pull. As long as you can demonstrate a personal connection to a region, the UVA degree will take you there. 'Family in boston' + JD from UVA = job in Boston. The better your grades the easier to get the job and the more prestige / $$$ / options you'll have, but you can definitely get a job in Boston from basically any class rank at UVA. To put it in LOLCats language: National school is national.]

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

eljay

New

Post by eljay » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:15 am

Thanks all!

jackgrf

New

Post by jackgrf » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:02 pm

thesealocust wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:

Thanks!
CE's probably asleep like the lame-o McLoserpants he is, so I'll give it a shot:

UVA it TTT.

[To answer OPs post: UVA is a school with legitimate national pull. As long as you can demonstrate a personal connection to a region, the UVA degree will take you there. 'Family in boston' + JD from UVA = job in Boston. The better your grades the easier to get the job and the more prestige / $$$ / options you'll have, but you can definitely get a job in Boston from basically any class rank at UVA. To put it in LOLCats language: National school is national.]
any class rank? what weed have you been smoking? there are tons of unemployed t14 students below median who cant even hack secondary markets

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”