i want V10 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: i want V10

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:02 pm

I work as a legal assistant at a V10 firm and I have spoken to many of the attorneys who are involved in recruiting about this very issue. For some reason it doesn't sound nearly as hard as some of you let on. If you go T14, particulary Harvard, Yale, NYU, or Columbia, and have a good rank, you seem to have a really good shot. One 6th year told me that she interviewed a guy from UVA who had a 3.4 who she really liked but said that she wouldn't be able to sell the higher-ups on him because his gpa was too low.

That said, I think I'd off myself if I ever worked here as an attorney.

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:07 pm

Out of curiosity: why?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:10 pm

NewHere wrote:
Out of curiosity: why?
Days Nights and Weekends.

Alea Iacta Est

New

Post by Alea Iacta Est » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:13 pm

BradyToMoss wrote:The "recommended" curve hands out "H" to 37% of students (in reality the number is higher). If H is like most any other school, there must be a solid amount of kids finishing up with "Straight H's".
Do you go to HLS? In my experience both of your points are completely false

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I work as a legal assistant at a V10 firm and I have spoken to many of the attorneys who are involved in recruiting about this very issue. For some reason it doesn't sound nearly as hard as some of you let on. If you go T14, particulary Harvard, Yale, NYU, or Columbia, and have a good rank, you seem to have a really good shot. One 6th year told me that she interviewed a guy from UVA who had a 3.4 who she really liked but said that she wouldn't be able to sell the higher-ups on him because his gpa was too low.

The thing is that anyone can see this just by doing firm searches at V10 firms websites. What you are saying matches up with the results when you do this, but for some reason people on here never do that and just go by the TLS hearsay and call firm searches "dumb" and "don't account for self selection".

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:17 pm

Plutonium wrote:I want to work V10, I'm entering law school in the fall.

WHAT do I need to do??

So far, I know:

-Grades should be superb

Other than that, I HAVE NO IDEA!!

HELP!
This is quite an assumption ... most everyone assumes that their grades will be superb entering law school ... I call flame or your just an idiot!

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Post by Space_Cowboy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:20 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
Plutonium wrote:I want to work V10, I'm entering law school in the fall.

WHAT do I need to do??

So far, I know:

-Grades should be superb

Other than that, I HAVE NO IDEA!!

HELP!
This is quite an assumption ... most everyone assumes that their grades will be superb entering law school ... I call flame or your just an idiot!
OP is looking for V10 while either going to Temple, Villanova or Drexel for law school (http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4#p2370438). The best advice for V10 seems to be to go to a better law school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:06 pm

awesomepossum wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Be top 5% and Law Review at Harvard OR go to Yale.

It's not QUITE that bad. I'm about top 25% at Michigan and I had a V10 offer....which I turned down for a V15 offer.

I know other folks who aren't anywhere near top 5% at Michigan who had V10 and V5 offers as well.
In fairness, Skadden is not very selective, and Skadden is a huge firm, so I'm guessing it accounts for lots of the V10 offers out there to people with less elite credentials.

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:

It's not QUITE that bad. I'm about top 25% at Michigan and I had a V10 offer....which I turned down for a V15 offer.

I know other folks who aren't anywhere near top 5% at Michigan who had V10 and V5 offers as well.
In fairness, Skadden is not very selective, and Skadden is a huge firm, so I'm guessing it accounts for lots of the V10 offers out there to people with less elite credentials.
why is this anonymous?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:

Please, those stats can get you Davis Polk, Sullivan, Simpson, Cleary, and Weil at the MBVP level. About the only V10's where those stats would automatically disqualify an MBVP student would be Wachtell, Cravath, and the non NYC based V10 firms (Cov DC and Kirkland). Top 5 percent at HLS is literally a lock for the V10 unless that person has some sort of problem.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:20 pm

kurama20 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:

Please, those stats can get you Davis Polk, Sullivan, Simpson, Cleary, and Weil at the MBVP level. About the only V10's where those stats would automatically disqualify an MBVP student would be Wachtell, Cravath, and the non NYC based V10 firms (Cov DC and Kirkland). Top 5 percent at HLS is literally a lock for the V10 unless that person has some sort of problem.
So top 25% at top-ten school, and you're good at pretty much all the V10 except Wachtell, Cravath, CovB, and Kirkland? What about for those? Top 10%?

Space_Cowboy

Bronze

Post by Space_Cowboy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:
So top 25% at top-ten school, and you're good at pretty much all the V10 except Wachtell, Cravath, CovB, and Kirkland? What about for those? Top 10%?
This is anonymous because....

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:03 am

Space_Cowboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
This is anonymous because....
Most annoying feature ever. I can't keep threads like this straight because of all they anonymous posts.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:45 am

I'm not saying it's black and white or claiming there is an exact GPA that will get you hired (contrary to what people say there is more to getting a job than that), but having "only" top 25 percent grades at MBVP is not what will keep you from getting hired at least one of the V10 save the ones bolded firms. For those bolded firms those grades at MBVP may cause you not to be hired (especially at Wachtell). But anyway just look at the firms so you can see for yourself. You'll see that many of them have associates from schools at the MBVP level who aren't "top 5 percent" etc.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:05 am

kurama20 wrote:
I'm not saying it's black and white or claiming there is an exact GPA that will get you hired (contrary to what people say there is more to getting a job than that), but having "only" top 25 percent grades at MBVP is not what will keep you from getting hired at least one of the V10 save the ones bolded firms. For those bolded firms those grades at MBVP may cause you not to be hired (especially at Wachtell). But anyway just look at the firms so you can see for yourself. You'll see that many of them have associates from schools at the MBVP level who aren't "top 5 percent" etc.

Kirkland isn't THAAT hard to get. I'm actually not sure about the others since I didn't apply myself.

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:07 am

awesomepossum wrote: Kirkland isn't THAAT hard to get. I'm actually not sure about the others since I didn't apply myself.
Hell even better! :) People sort of overestimate the V10 in terms of difficulty of getting hired. I was thinking more of the DC office though. What about that one?

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:07 am

DavidYurman85 wrote:Could be pretty hard coming from Drexel/Villanova/Temple. But good luck!
titcr

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:41 am

Right, Kirkland isn't that hard to get, and neither is Covington NY. (Covington DC is a different story.)

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:47 am

NYU, Chicago, and Columbia place quite well V10 (especially Cravath, Davis Polk, Skadden, and Kirkland Ellis). At nearly every New York V10 CLS equals or surpasses HLS in number of associates. Not saying CLS > HLS, but clearly V10 is quite open to CCN students.

awesomepossum

Silver

Post by awesomepossum » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:48 am

kurama20 wrote:
awesomepossum wrote: Kirkland isn't THAAT hard to get. I'm actually not sure about the others since I didn't apply myself.
Hell even better! :) People sort of overestimate the V10 in terms of difficulty of getting hired. I was thinking more of the DC office though. What about that one?

I don't really have a good sense of how hard DC is. I had heard that DC was relatively harder to get but I know quite a few people who got DC jobs. They could all have spectacular grades but I doubt it. I'm sure someone who did OCI for DC offices would have a better idea.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:12 pm

n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:24 pm

kurama20 wrote:
Penn top third (probably more like 20-25 but I really don't know). This year was an anomaly with Kirkland all around though. They seemed less interested in grades and focused largely on fit (I've talked to people going to the NYC and Chicago offices as well).
Last edited by Georgiana on Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:39 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Georgiana

Silver

Post by Georgiana » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:44 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
The fledgling impression I'm getting is that DC is harder to break into if you're near the median at a T14, but that once you have good grades the positions aren't especially harder to get than comparable NYC positions. This could be extremely off base, but it fits with the limited data sets I've been exposed to.
Wrong.
+1

The "problem" with DC is that they take on much smaller classes than NYC so not only do you have to have the grades but you also have to be a good fit with the firm because they're taking 10-20 summers and not 50+. One bad summer can really ruin the experience in a small group.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:08 pm

n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”