How to respond to a request to interview Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawschool7777

Bronze

How to respond to a request to interview

Post by lawschool7777 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:13 pm

Hello, I know this sounds like a newb question, but what is the best way to respond to an email from a judge requesting an interview in terms of format and substance? Should it be short and to the point? Thank you

CE2JD

Silver

Re: How to respond to a request to interview

Post by CE2JD » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:04 pm

lawschool7777 wrote:Should it be short and to the point?
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the answer to this question is almost universally "yes."

turkfish

New

Post by turkfish » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:11 pm

No, you should feel free to give some detail about your interest in the law and working for him. If the interview is a conversation, sending him a longer e-mail is sort of a way to extend the interview. Of course don't write a novel, but you should probably explain that you're excited to interview. It also might be a good idea to read through some of his opinions and briefly mention some of your favorites.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:26 pm

turkfish wrote:No, you should feel free to give some detail about your interest in the law and working for him. If the interview is a conversation, sending him a longer e-mail is sort of a way to extend the interview. Of course don't write a novel, but you should probably explain that you're excited to interview. It also might be a good idea to read through some of his opinions and briefly mention some of your favorites.
No. I disagree 100% with this post.

But talk to sealocust and others who have experience interviewing with judges.

gglr24

New

Post by gglr24 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:29 pm

I agree. Be brief, polite, and of course say yes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:18 pm

Being brief and polite is important. TI think it would look weird to respond with additional information about yourself - that's what the interview is for, neh?

I'd recommend scheduling the interview for as soon after you get the offer as possible, because it shows strong interest.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:10 pm

Respond with a long essay about how the Constitution has been under attack for most of the past decade and how you hope to save the whales.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”