DOJ or assistant DA jobs with a criminal history? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DOJ or assistant DA jobs with a criminal history?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:05 pm

I would like to get a job with the DOJ or maybe as an assistant DA. The problem is I have a DUI on my record, as well as a documented history of drug and alcohol problems (like I checked myself into a rehabilitation facility).

I received my DUI just after I turned 18 (roughly seven years ago) and I have been in ‘recovery’ for more than four years now. FWIW, the DUI is the one and only offense I've ever been charged with. I know the DOJ requires a fairly extensive background check. Will my past problems prohibit me from consideration? How about as an assistant DA?

BTW, I've already looked for answers to these questions without much luck. I was hoping to hear from folks that have been through the process.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous User

Re: DOJ or assistant DA jobs with a criminal history?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:30 pm

Bump...

Anyone?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:14 pm

I don't think anyone here will know for sure--not a lot of AUSA's on this board, and anyone who's been rejected probably won't step up and say it. My guess is that you'd be ok if it's really the only time you've ever been in trouble. They want to be sure you aren't A) a security risk and B) a dirtbag. You have a long history of being clean, and can attribute the incident to alcoholism rather than moral turpitude.

climber

New

Post by climber » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:12 pm

For a civil job in a non-national security area, the DOJ only checks for 7 years. You don't even have to report anything. I can't remember what the deal with criminal was. In the old days it was all non-national security except for a tiny office in DC. Now that they are been fighting terrorism, you might need a 10 year background check. It's not a bar, but it might be an issue. FWIW, new AUSAs have to do a park police/dept. of interior/DoD day about once a month where you prosecute speeding tickets and DUIs on U.S. property. Fun stuff. Some hard asses might have a problem with your past DUI, but a lot won't care. The only people who had issues were the recent dope smokers while in law school. That $50 fine ended up being a killer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”