What to say when emailing acquaintances of acquaintances? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What to say when emailing acquaintances of acquaintances?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:42 pm

I am a 3L with no job but in a decent sized market and at a school that places strongly in that market. I have a list of names from a professor of attorneys at some smaller and midsized firms to contact, and he told me to say that he gave me their names.

But really, what do I say? "Hi, I'm a 3L and Prof. Z told me to contact you. JOB PLZ!"

gglr24

New

Re: What to say when emailing acquaintances of acquaintances?

Post by gglr24 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:58 pm

The employer is going to know that you are contacting them for a job. The key is to be polite and unassuming in your request.

Just let them know that Professor X recommended you contact them and that you were wondering if they had any advice in your search for employment. If they have potential openings, they will let you know. Maybe include some of the things you are looking for in a firm and your interests. I wouldn't attach the resume/CL until they respond. Just my opinion.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”