one week "clerkship" Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jobq48

New

one week "clerkship"

Post by jobq48 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:52 am

I have been accepted to do a one week unpaid clerkship (I assume its more like an observational opportunity) with a local judge over winter break. Has anyone ever done anything like this? I just want to know what to expect and if it lead to you getting an offer to work there over the summer. I am a 1L if that helps. Thanks

TTT-LS

Silver

Re: one week "clerkship"

Post by TTT-LS » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:40 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xnegd

Bronze

Post by Xnegd » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:48 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
jobq48 wrote:I have been accepted to do a one week unpaid clerkship (I assume its more like an observational opportunity) with a local judge over winter break. Has anyone ever done anything like this? I just want to know what to expect and if it lead to you getting an offer to work there over the summer. I am a 1L if that helps. Thanks
It isn't a "clerkship." It is an externship or internship.
I've always wondered what the difference between and Extern and an intern. I see that all the time on resumes...

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:14 pm

Xnegd wrote:I've always wondered what the difference between and Extern and an intern. I see that all the time on resumes...
I always thought of an extern as a person who shadows someone or otherwise merely observes the workplace, usually for a short time (<month), and an intern as someone who actually works (even if the quality & quantity of the work is meh and the duration is short).

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:37 pm

Aeroplane wrote:
Xnegd wrote:I've always wondered what the difference between and Extern and an intern. I see that all the time on resumes...
I always thought of an extern as a person who shadows someone or otherwise merely observes the workplace, usually for a short time (<month), and an intern as someone who actually works (even if the quality & quantity of the work is meh and the duration is short).
I've always thought an extern worked a position while doing something else, usually school, while an intern was a full time (thus usually summer) position. I've definitely seen it both ways though.

And I've even heard of 'clerking' for law firms, I think at some point the terms can get really interchangeable? Or maybe I'm just way off base?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:48 pm

thesealocust wrote:And I've even heard of 'clerking' for law firms, I think at some point the terms can get really interchangeable? Or maybe I'm just way off base?
Usually it's smaller law firms that call their summer students "clerks". I've also heard "clerks" used by in-house legal departments. The terms are interchangeable in casual conversation but OCS told me to be careful to use the right one for each firm I apply to. They said that if you apply to a "summer associate" position at a small firm that calls it "clerking" they will be turned off and/or think that you're expecting biglaw when that's not what they are.

nylaw23

New

Post by nylaw23 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:58 pm

Law Schools call them externships because you are doing work/learning somewhere else. The place that you are externing at, usually refer to your position as an internship. Therefore, the same thing can be an externship and an internship. It depends on who's perspective it is

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:01 pm

jobq48 wrote:I have been accepted to do a one week unpaid clerkship (I assume its more like an observational opportunity) with a local judge over winter break. Has anyone ever done anything like this? I just want to know what to expect and if it lead to you getting an offer to work there over the summer. I am a 1L if that helps. Thanks
Well, the best way to figure out what you'll be doing is to ask the judge. But if you didn't ask right after the initial offer, I probably wouldn't go back and ask now.

My guess:
You will probably just sit in court most of the day and observe proceedings. Judge may talk to you after proceedings to tell you what he/she thought was good/bad lawyering or may discuss issues with you. Maybe you could write a memo or do some targeted research, but in one week's time, I suspect you won't be doing much of that.

I would do it unless you have something better to do over your break. Couldn't hurt your chances for a summer job, right? (Unless, of course, the judge or his/her staff doesn't like you).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”