Background Checks: DUI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Background Checks: DUI

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:50 pm

I have a DUI on my record. It's the only blemish. I don't even have any other points against my license, and my academic record and work experience is solid. It was a one-time mistake, etc., etc., etc. (I know - that's what they all say!).

I notice some judicial internship programs have "background checks" that may not take place until a month into employment.

Can this cost me my internship???

Anonymous User

Re: Background Checks: DUI

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:40 pm

Bump.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:08 pm

Bump. Any advice?

MysticalAmethyst

New

Post by MysticalAmethyst » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:17 pm

Be honest about it. Was it along time ago? If it was just say how much you have grown as a person, and are more responsible. All of this is if you even make it as far as being invited to background checks. Things happen and attorneys and judges also sometimes make mistakes, just be honest.

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:45 pm

Depends on the hiring agency too. some are more stringent than others. FBI, USAO, DA are probably more strict than a judicial position. Agree w/ above poster though--just don't lie or fudge it in any way, be sincere and regretful and you'll be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:03 pm

You will be fine. I had a DUI in undergrad and disclosed it to my law school. I had internships with a fed dist ct judge and a federal appellate court judge, both of which required FBI background checks. It was never an issue. In fact, I was never asked about it at all.

EDIT: holy crap this post originated in 2009!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:24 pm

I passed the USAO CRAZYYYYY background check with a DWAI (driving with ability impaired), which is not a crime, but a traffic infraction in NY. I also passed the background check at a V10 firm when I was a paralegal with the same blemish. Although its not a crime, it definitely comes up, at least for USAO I had to disclose it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:07 am

Would matter if the DUI occurred recently and you are still on probation, even though all requirements and fines under the terms of probation are completed?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”