Thurgood Marshall School of Law (TSU) Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Topha12

New

Thurgood Marshall School of Law (TSU)

Post by Topha12 » Sun May 24, 2009 2:56 pm

So is anyone else attending TMSL in Houston? :D

wrobinett

New

Re: Thurgood Marshall School of Law (TSU)

Post by wrobinett » Sun May 24, 2009 5:36 pm

I've been accepted to both TSU and STCL. Struggling with the choice.

Topha12

New

Post by Topha12 » Mon May 25, 2009 11:44 am

Are you already in the Houston area?

LBHTX

New

Post by LBHTX » Mon May 25, 2009 2:12 pm

It should not be a struggle. STCL is hands down a better school than TSU. The average GPA for TSU is under a 3.0. If you were accepted to both, go to South Texas.

ClaimsAdjuster3

New

Post by ClaimsAdjuster3 » Fri May 29, 2009 12:56 am

The bar passage rate for TSU law grads is dismal, while the bar passage rate at STCL is almost as high as UT. Case closed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

H3Bearkat

New

Post by H3Bearkat » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:56 pm

I've been accepted and am starting in the fall. I hope this school doesn't suck as much as people say. I figure as long as I pass the bar, and put in the extra study to do so, in the end I will still have a J.D.

H3Bearkat

New

Post by H3Bearkat » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:27 pm

Hi guy!!! Say something!

Just kidding. (Not really)
The semester is rolling along and midterms just ended....(or will end tomorrow for Section 1) How's everyone feeling. I am so glad I am at law school.

AngeLaDona

New

Post by AngeLaDona » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:31 pm

H3Bearkat wrote:I've been accepted and am starting in the fall. I hope this school doesn't suck as much as people say. I figure as long as I pass the bar, and put in the extra study to do so, in the end I will still have a J.D.
I am contemplating attending TMSL. How is it going for you as a 2L?

Medina_2730

New

Post by Medina_2730 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:14 pm

I am a graduate of Thurgood Marshall, Class of 87'. In those days the GPA for admissioins was less than that presently required. During my period of enrollment, I discovered that all Law Schools use the same reading material. What I did find was that in other schools Professors stood and lectured. The responsibility was solely on the student. Of course, having the higher eschelon of students, it was expected a high return on the final bar exam.
At Thurgood, whether you are of the higher eschelon or not, the Professors teach, not lecture. If you will accept there teaching,(many who are still teaching from taught back in 1984), they will assist you in reaching your goal to enter the legal profession.
I woould like to say that I did not have a high GPA, was married and had two children at the time. I could not afford BarBri, Finklestein or any other bar review course. I relied on my notes acquired while attending school and passed the bar.
24 years later I am thankful to Thurgood for allowing to attend and reach my goal. I have had a firm of Eleven attornies, I have sat as a judge, I am a certified mediator, and love everyday that I am able to practice this profession.
So, my recommendation to you is to attend, pay attention, bend with the instruction, and at end, know that you will have covered everythiing that you will need to pass the bar exam.
I wish you the best.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

life_kluda

New

Post by life_kluda » Fri May 13, 2011 12:29 am

Hello all:

I have been accepted into TMSL 2011 fall. Not sure about going. I did obtain a 4.01 gpa from ASU since I live in AZ. But, I have heard pretty bad things about TMSL. Any thoughts?

Medina_2730

New

Post by Medina_2730 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:14 am

Stop worrying about what people say. The truth of the matter is that TMSL has had a history of accepting individuals whose GPA's and LSAT scores wuld barely qualify them to other schools. During the early period the bar passage rate, first time, was low. However, on the breakdown of performance by the ABA accreditation committee, for students with an overall GPA over 3.25 and 75 percentile on the LSAT, the bar passage rate was over 90%.

Most professional schools are based on individual coompetitiveness and responsibility. TMSL teaching methodology will give you everything you need, whether you have a 4.00 GPA or a 2.00 GPA.

Good Luck

Jackal

New

Post by Jackal » Tue May 17, 2011 11:03 pm

As far as TMSL goes, it is a school for men and women with a bit more enterprise. The school is not fancy, but will get the job done. Also, the cost is unbeatable. Cost is important in the midst of so fe legal jobs. One can better cope with a $60,000 or less job (which most law grads are getting) when their law school debt is minimal compared to other Texas law schools. Personally, I graduated with $25,000 of debt.

Currently, if you arrive in the top of the class your second yer is free and your third is half off. I have buddies at South Texas and Univ. Of Houston who do not have jobs (I do) and have nearly three times more debt. If you are not a go getter the school is not for you because its still developing its "bells and whistles". So, if you come do well and you will benefit.

On another note, as I looked around BarBri yesterday, you cant help but notice Thurgood provides the balance of diversity to the Bar. Politics aside, lets not forget where the bulk of the bad light of Thurgood comes from. Years of racial hatred and formed entitlement. Its not happenstance that Hispanic and Black attorneys are always asked if they went to Thurgood.

ladyj

New

Post by ladyj » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:36 pm

Thurgood is great. The professors truly care about the students. They are willing to help when needed even if you are not in their class. You will learn what you need. Some professors are even instructors for bar prep course for Barbri and PMBR.

ladyelegance1

New

Post by ladyelegance1 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:31 pm

ladyj wrote:Thurgood is great. The professors truly care about the students. They are willing to help when needed even if you are not in their class. You will learn what you need. Some professors are even instructors for bar prep course for Barbri and PMBR.
I am currently applying and have heard great things about TMSL. My gpa and lsat score was not super but my desire is greater. I hope I have a chance of getting in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”