Seton Hall 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
sad truth

New

Re: Seton Hall 2012

Post by sad truth » Sat May 30, 2009 12:16 pm

Congrats on Seton Hall! Are you lemmings aware that the school plunged 11 points in the 2010 US News Rankings? That was the biggest drop in the #51 to #100 range. The word is out on how bad things are for Hall grads. The school is simply a boiler room to make unethical, subhuman scum like the Valvoline Dean Pat Hobbs filthy rich.

Here is the type of gutter-scraping shitjob you can expect out of a sewer like SH:

--LinkRemoved--

There are a few "traffic ticket" boiler room offices in Jersey City and Newark too. My friend from class of 2005 started at 30,000 a year out of SH, and now she works in a nail salon.

The biggest thing most of you don't realize is that if you start at a 30 K shitjob you will never gain the experience to move on and make more $$$. That's because all you're going to know is shitlaw: personal injury, insurance defense, traffic court, etc. All decent "midlaw" firms prefer to hire Top 14 grads who are ex-Biglaw, not gutter grads from toilets like SH who scrounge their way up from traffic court. Most midlaw firms handle matters that allow them to offer a legitimate salary, like securities law or higher-end bankruptcy. How do you intend to learn these areas by clerking in traffic court or working at a trip n' fall ambulance chasing slime-shop for 30 K out of SH?

The typical SH grad's career prospects are nothing short of abysmal. Of course, none of you will listen. You'll go into mountains of debt and "work hard" and "network" with the other pathetic traffic-court losers this diploma mill has graduated and hope to make it big. Good luck. See you all on JDU in about 36 months!

sad truth

New

Post by sad truth » Sat May 30, 2009 4:38 pm

Seton Hall is famous for placing people in NJTCC (NJ Traffic Court Clerkships). They inflate their employment numbers by 30-40% by dumping a good amount of losers into this sewer. Those TCC's pay a whopping 35 K and most of the judges are nasty, ignorant trolls who clawed & sucked their way up thru the corrupt NJ Democrat political machinery. My one friend said her judge never even learned her name all year- he called her "toots" and used to get loaded in his office and smoke cigarettes in there. Another buddy did a TCC and was unemployed for 16 months after it ended. He's now working in his dad's restaurant as a bartender. It's a complete lie that these judges can somehow "hook it up" with a decent gig once your TCC is done. News flash: these judges are total scum and could give a crap less if you live or die, much less waste their golf and hooker time trying to score a gig for some Seton Hall loser. The beauty of it is that Seton Hall gets to wash their hands of these grads and stick the traffic court judge with trying to find work for these losers.

Only a tiny fraction of top 5% gunners get real clerkships (federal and appellate) from SH. Most people I knew who didn't go the TCC route ended up in personal injury or insurance defense making well south of 50 K, or in dead-end temp doc review gigs which have now mostly been outsourced to India. About a dozen kids from my class are already out of law altogether. Most career counselors advise leaving a JD off your resume altogether since non-legal employers tend to hate lawyers and view them as nasty, dumb, and hard to get along with. So feature this: you waste 3 years and 100 K and a summer studying for the bar all to get a "credential" that you're told to leave off your resume! It's like a strech in jail or similar embarassment when you have a TTT school like SH as your alma mater!

Just check the attorney bios of the larger NJ firms like McCarter, Sills Cummis, Cozen, etc. Far fewer SH grads than you think ever get into these places. You'll need Top 5% and law review to have a shot at these NJ "biglaw" places. NYC you can totally forget about. No NYC firms even waste their time trolling SH since the school is in a shitty area and has declined so sharply in the rankings of late. By the time you guys get out it may well be 3rd tier, which is where it really belongs. Schools don't drop 11 points in the rankings for nothing. The word is out that this place is a scam and worthless diploma mill that charges Mercedes prices for a rusted out Yugo with 4 flat tires. Very few SH grads will have anything one could call a "career." Almost 5 years out most of my buddies are still well below 75 K at crappy boiler-room firms like Stark & Stark (another grinder where SH also-rans go to be abused and degraded for 50 K or less doing fender-bender cases). I can't think of a worse way to spend 3 years than hanging around a dangerous, filthy dump like Newark listening to the washed-up drunken hacks and blowhards that pass for professors at this sewer blather on about fedual England's property law and other worthless dreck so you can come out heavily in debt and make 35 K as a traffic court clerk!

jd joke degree

New

Post by jd joke degree » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:52 am

Wow, check out Seton Hall's wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =294827354

KilledByLG

New

Post by KilledByLG » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:21 am

Where have all my fellow lemmings gone?

2012 Section B here - anyone else having trouble logging into the SH e-mail system?

lawgrl09

New

Post by lawgrl09 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:21 pm

sad truth wrote:Seton Hall is famous for placing people in NJTCC (NJ Traffic Court Clerkships). They inflate their employment numbers by 30-40% by dumping a good amount of losers into this sewer. Those TCC's pay a whopping 35 K and most of the judges are nasty, ignorant trolls who clawed & sucked their way up thru the corrupt NJ Democrat political machinery. My one friend said her judge never even learned her name all year- he called her "toots" and used to get loaded in his office and smoke cigarettes in there. Another buddy did a TCC and was unemployed for 16 months after it ended. He's now working in his dad's restaurant as a bartender. It's a complete lie that these judges can somehow "hook it up" with a decent gig once your TCC is done. News flash: these judges are total scum and could give a crap less if you live or die, much less waste their golf and hooker time trying to score a gig for some Seton Hall loser. The beauty of it is that Seton Hall gets to wash their hands of these grads and stick the traffic court judge with trying to find work for these losers.

Only a tiny fraction of top 5% gunners get real clerkships (federal and appellate) from SH. Most people I knew who didn't go the TCC route ended up in personal injury or insurance defense making well south of 50 K, or in dead-end temp doc review gigs which have now mostly been outsourced to India. About a dozen kids from my class are already out of law altogether. Most career counselors advise leaving a JD off your resume altogether since non-legal employers tend to hate lawyers and view them as nasty, dumb, and hard to get along with. So feature this: you waste 3 years and 100 K and a summer studying for the bar all to get a "credential" that you're told to leave off your resume! It's like a strech in jail or similar embarassment when you have a TTT school like SH as your alma mater!

Just check the attorney bios of the larger NJ firms like McCarter, Sills Cummis, Cozen, etc. Far fewer SH grads than you think ever get into these places. You'll need Top 5% and law review to have a shot at these NJ "biglaw" places. NYC you can totally forget about. No NYC firms even waste their time trolling SH since the school is in a shitty area and has declined so sharply in the rankings of late. By the time you guys get out it may well be 3rd tier, which is where it really belongs. Schools don't drop 11 points in the rankings for nothing. The word is out that this place is a scam and worthless diploma mill that charges Mercedes prices for a rusted out Yugo with 4 flat tires. Very few SH grads will have anything one could call a "career." Almost 5 years out most of my buddies are still well below 75 K at crappy boiler-room firms like Stark & Stark (another grinder where SH also-rans go to be abused and degraded for 50 K or less doing fender-bender cases). I can't think of a worse way to spend 3 years than hanging around a dangerous, filthy dump like Newark listening to the washed-up drunken hacks and blowhards that pass for professors at this sewer blather on about fedual England's property law and other worthless dreck so you can come out heavily in debt and make 35 K as a traffic court clerk!

I'm tired of these rants (see above). I spent two years as a paralegal at a BigLaw firm in Philadelphia and worked closely with attorneys in our New York and New Jersey offices as well as attorneys from other BigLaw firms in those areas. No one has shown any negativity toward my decision to go to SHU and, in fact, I've received nothing but positive feedback from my coworkers and colleagues, current SHU students, and SHU alums.

In case you haven't been following the threads on Above the Law, a lot of firms are letting employees go and/or delaying incoming associates regardless of school, class rank, etc. New graduates are having to turn to contract jobs or other avenues of income because there are hiring freezes all over the map. Not only that, but guess what? Even in a good economy, you will need to be in the top 5% and on law review to make it to BigLaw anyway ... unless you come from the very top-ranked USNWR schools. What a shock! :wink:

If these prophets of doom and gloom, such as sad truth and jd joke degree, would include their name, law school, class year, and firm (or temp agency since you prophesize contract jobs) to add some credit to their postings, then I'm more likely to take stock of what they say. Until then, spare me, this thread, and other TLS users these rants.

In other news... I'm really psyched that classes start next month. I've found an apartment near the school and I'm moving there next week! :D PirateNet is working just fine for me, KilledByLG. Call up the help desk if your problem persists.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

maudlinstreet

Bronze

Post by maudlinstreet » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:27 pm

Hi everyone! I'm a writer here at TLS and I'd like to interview some current or former Seton Hall students on the law school. I'd ask you questions about the law school culture, academics, etc. and incorporate those into the new Seton Hall profile that I'm working on. If you have the time to answer a few questions, then please send me a PM!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”