Arizona State 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
crapcycle

New

Arizona State 2012

Post by crapcycle » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:36 am

My cycle ends with the beginning of this thread.

thefalls

New

Re: Arizona State 2012

Post by thefalls » Tue May 05, 2009 10:51 am

Massive scholarship offer makes me 99 percent sure I'll join you in the fall; I plan to visit ASU this weekend (never been to Phoenix/Tempe) to make sure ...

crapcycle

New

Post by crapcycle » Tue May 05, 2009 12:20 pm

thefalls wrote:Massive scholarship offer makes me 99 percent sure I'll join you in the fall; I plan to visit ASU this weekend (never been to Phoenix/Tempe) to make sure ...
just go to the top of south mountain and all will be clear

if you're from the east coast your mind will be made right there

thefalls

New

Post by thefalls » Tue May 05, 2009 12:33 pm

crapcycle wrote:
thefalls wrote:Massive scholarship offer makes me 99 percent sure I'll join you in the fall; I plan to visit ASU this weekend (never been to Phoenix/Tempe) to make sure ...

I can't wait to see the area in person. Any suggestions for places to eat/things to do while I'm in town?

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Tue May 05, 2009 2:01 pm

thefalls wrote:
crapcycle wrote:

I can't wait to see the area in person. Any suggestions for places to eat/things to do while I'm in town?
Four Peaks Brewery; Mill Avenue; Old Town Scottsdale; If you're in town this friday drop by Roosevelt avenue at night to catch First Fridays in downtown PHX...pretty sweet

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EBrown1

New

Post by EBrown1 » Tue May 12, 2009 10:28 am

Anyone know where you're living yet? Apartment recs would be really helpful.

LizLemon

New

Post by LizLemon » Sun May 17, 2009 3:05 am

I'm in too and it's very likely that I will attend! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some $$$.

thefalls

New

Post by thefalls » Sun May 17, 2009 11:22 am

EBrown1 wrote:Anyone know where you're living yet? Apartment recs would be really helpful.
I second this ... coming from New England, so I know jack about the area. What are some good locations??

LizLemon

New

Post by LizLemon » Sun May 17, 2009 12:30 pm

There are a couple of recommendations on the ASU law school blackboard.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ubermensch

New

Post by ubermensch » Sun May 17, 2009 1:41 pm

Hey guys, I just graduated from ASU and I'm still living in the area until August. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Regarding housing, don't limit your search to the immediate ASU area. I'm renting a large 2001 house with hardwood floors and a big pool, and my share of rent is only 350. I'm about 15 minutes from campus, but the drive is worth it for me.

Mr. Costello

New

Post by Mr. Costello » Mon May 18, 2009 11:18 am

ubermensch wrote:Hey guys, I just graduated from ASU and I'm still living in the area until August. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Regarding housing, don't limit your search to the immediate ASU area. I'm renting a large 2001 house with hardwood floors and a big pool, and my share of rent is only 350. I'm about 15 minutes from campus, but the drive is worth it for me.
Hey, Ubermensch (love your screenname, BTW), did you just graduate undergrad or law school?

readysetgo

New

Post by readysetgo » Mon May 18, 2009 1:41 pm

also, depending on how well you're able to focus, it may not be a good idea to live right around asu since it tends to get pretty loud and rowdy. I'm thinking about living downtown and just taking the light rail to asu (since I'm pretty sure asu students get free passes). I think it's only a 15-20 minute ride...not too bad.

paprbck2

New

Post by paprbck2 » Mon May 18, 2009 3:16 pm

I'm also looking at living somewhere in downtown Phoenix and taking the light rail to ASU. I'm not moving out there until late July/early August though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ubermensch

New

Post by ubermensch » Mon May 18, 2009 5:56 pm

Mr. Costello wrote:
Hey, Ubermensch (love your screenname, BTW), did you just graduate undergrad or law school?

Just graduated from undergrad. Heading to ND for law.

LizLemon

New

Post by LizLemon » Mon May 18, 2009 11:48 pm

Hey Uber,

Realistically, how far is Scottsdale from campus? It says 8 miles on mapquest, but talk to me in terms of minutes. I want to live out there but I'm concerned about the traffic.

Mr. Costello

New

Post by Mr. Costello » Mon May 18, 2009 11:57 pm

LizLemon wrote:Hey Uber,

Realistically, how far is Scottsdale from campus? It says 8 miles on mapquest, but talk to me in terms of minutes. I want to live out there but I'm concerned about the traffic.
+1...

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Tue May 19, 2009 1:13 am

Depends on what part of scottsdale you live in. 15 min to get to campus for the southern part of Scottsdale--MAX--....parking and getting to class is a whole other thing though :lol:

Lots of people live in Scottsdale, especially the part north of the 202 freeway and south of Indian School road. There are a bunch of homes, complexes, and condos in that area and you'll have no problem finding cheap places in the depressed market. Traffic has really gotten better of late after the completion of the light rail. I think this has more to do with the lack of construction than the light rail itself, but still--about two years ago it was impossible to go up and down Rural rd.

(I went there for undergrad too, and still live in the area so feel free to ask questions)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LizLemon

New

Post by LizLemon » Tue May 19, 2009 1:24 am

SparkyLives wrote:Depends on what part of scottsdale you live in. 15 min to get to campus for the southern part of Scottsdale--MAX--....parking and getting to class is a whole other thing though :lol:

Lots of people live in Scottsdale, especially the part north of the 202 freeway and south of Indian School road. There are a bunch of homes, complexes, and condos in that area and you'll have no problem finding cheap places in the depressed market. Traffic has really gotten better of late after the completion of the light rail. I think this has more to do with the lack of construction than the light rail itself, but still--about two years ago it was impossible to go up and down Rural rd.

(I went there for undergrad too, and still live in the area so feel free to ask questions)
Yikes. Is parking on campus that bad? Thanks for your reply! I'm hoping to come out to AZ sometime soon to tour the campus and look for a place to live.

ubermensch

New

Post by ubermensch » Tue May 19, 2009 2:12 am

LizLemon wrote:
Yikes. Is parking on campus that bad? Thanks for your reply! I'm hoping to come out to AZ sometime soon to tour the campus and look for a place to live.
What do you mean by "bad?" The parking lots are a reasonable 5-10 minute walk from the law school, and while parking passes are expensive (nigh $600 the last time I checked), I never had a hard time finding a space.
Driving to/from school can be a hassle due to traffic. It has improved, but is still annoying especially on rural between southern and McKellips. Obviously some times of day are much worse than others.

South Scottsdale is convenient, and it's where I lived during most of my time at ASU. I lived in Sycamore Creek Apartments on Thomas and 68th, and it usually took me about 15 minutes to get to school (though I was on an R6 :twisted: )
I have also lived in Woodland Springs Apartments on Thomas and Hayden, but I would avoid these apartments as I had pest issues. (and they're a little ghetto)

SparkyLives

Bronze

Post by SparkyLives » Tue May 19, 2009 4:51 pm

Parking with a parking pass is very easy, actually (Lot 59 is probably the furthest from the LS, but there's a pretty convenient shuttle). However, as Uber mentioned it's also very pricy.

I managed to go all four years without a parking pass (lived on campus frosh year). I racked up some parking tickets and wasted a lot of time searching for spots but all total I ended up paying less than I would have had I purchased a pass those last three years. So parking is a giant pain in the ass without a pass, generally convenient but expensive with one.

I lived at Hayden Square, which I definitely recommend, my second year and then in Chandler, which I also recommend, my last two years.

thefalls

New

Post by thefalls » Wed May 20, 2009 10:20 am

Is the pass a hang-tag or a vehicle sticker? (Wondering if there is any possibility I could carpool with someone and split the cost of a parking pass without having to drive my car every time.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ubermensch

New

Post by ubermensch » Wed May 20, 2009 1:27 pm

thefalls wrote:Is the pass a hang-tag or a vehicle sticker? (Wondering if there is any possibility I could carpool with someone and split the cost of a parking pass without having to drive my car every time.)
It's a hang-tag, but it's registered to an individual car and supposedly you're in deep shit if they catch you using one linked to another car.
That said, about a year ago I found one on the ground and used it to park my car on campus while my bike was in the shop, and didn't have any issues.

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Wed May 20, 2009 4:33 pm

Has anyone else talked to admissions regarding obtaining AZ residency for 2L as a 1L non-resident? The Director of Admissions explained to me that the university's financial aid/residency staff is very good in this regard and many 1Ls end-up obtaining residency for their final two years. Those who fail to do so are usually those who aren't meticulous in following the university's instruction, she affirmed.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has an explanation for why this is the case at ASU, while at U of A most out-of-staters don't obtain residency until 3L, if at all. I have heard from at least two current UA law students that it is nearly impossible to obtain residency for 2L without owning property in AZ.

If anyone can shed some light on the truth behind this apparent paradox, it would be much appreciated. Being from wayyyyy out of state, I have no real way of knowing which school, if either, is painting a more accurate picture.

thefalls

New

Post by thefalls » Wed May 20, 2009 4:45 pm

sanpiero wrote:Has anyone else talked to admissions regarding obtaining AZ residency for 2L as a 1L non-resident? The Director of Admissions explained to me that the university's financial aid/residency staff is very good in this regard and many 1Ls end-up obtaining residency for their final two years. Those who fail to do so are usually those who aren't meticulous in following the university's instruction, she affirmed.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has an explanation for why this is the case at ASU, while at U of A most out-of-staters don't obtain residency until 3L, if at all. I have heard from at least two current UA law students that it is nearly impossible to obtain residency for 2L without owning property in AZ.

If anyone can shed some light on the truth behind this apparent paradox, it would be much appreciated. Being from wayyyyy out of state, I have no real way of knowing which school, if either, is painting a more accurate picture.
Here's a tip: find out whether these two UA students had been supported by their parents in the year before they entered law school. AZ residency rules clearly state you cannot rely on your parents for financial support for two years before you re-classify.

Here are the in-state classification requirements, from ASU's residency page:

1. I am financially independent and:

I established a domicile in Arizona and have been physically present continuously for twelve months prior to the start of the semester for which I am requesting residency, and
I have not been claimed as a tax dependent by any other individual in the last two tax years, and
I have demonstrated the intent to be an Arizona resident for twelve months, and
I have been completely self-supporting during the last two years, including paying my own tuition and living expenses from self-generated funds.

(http://students.asu.edu/residencyreclassificationsurvey)

ubermensch

New

Post by ubermensch » Wed May 20, 2009 6:15 pm

thefalls wrote:
1. I am financially independent and:

I established a domicile in Arizona and have been physically present continuously for twelve months prior to the start of the semester for which I am requesting residency, and
I have not been claimed as a tax dependent by any other individual in the last two tax years, and
I have demonstrated the intent to be an Arizona resident for twelve months, and
I have been completely self-supporting during the last two years, including paying my own tuition and living expenses from self-generated funds.

(http://students.asu.edu/residencyreclassificationsurvey)
This is a big one. Change your driver's license the second you get here. If you have a car, get the registration changed. Open a bank account here and close the others if you can. Cut as many ties to your home state as you can, and begin new ties in AZ. These issues WILL be addressed on your petition.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”