Denied Matching Aid at Berkeley Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
teachlearn

New

Denied Matching Aid at Berkeley

Post by teachlearn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:12 pm

Thanks for the help guys. Deleting the post to make myself feel better :)
Last edited by teachlearn on Wed May 06, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DavidMorales

New

Re: Denied Matching Aid at Berkeley

Post by DavidMorales » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:26 pm

Sorry about the scholarship. I also got denied a reconsideration for financial aid from a school i would have attended. That being said, a dream school is a dream school and That was never at the top of my list.. my suggestion is go to boalt.

teachlearn

New

Post by teachlearn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:26 pm

Thanks for your advice... i appreciate it :)

Anjacks

New

Post by Anjacks » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:33 pm

I'm kind of in the same situation. And I'm going to the school that offered money. I do agree that a dream school is a dream school and you gotta make yourself happy, but I started to get bitter at the administration at my "dream" school. It made me feel like they didn't care because they were matching others left and right. So I decided I'd be okay at the school that wanted me a little more. Sometimes I wish I had the courage to just take out the loans, but my schools are really comparable so it really made no sense. I just wanted to give you another opinion. I think either choice is justifiable! So you shouldn't feel silly for giving up the dough.

DavidMorales

New

Post by DavidMorales » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:41 pm

Anjacks wrote:I'm kind of in the same situation. And I'm going to the school that offered money. I do agree that a dream school is a dream school and you gotta make yourself happy, but I started to get bitter at the administration at my "dream" school. It made me feel like they didn't care because they were matching others left and right. So I decided I'd be okay at the school that wanted me a little more. Sometimes I wish I had the courage to just take out the loans, but my schools are really comparable so it really made no sense. I just wanted to give you another opinion. I think either choice is justifiable! So you shouldn't feel silly for giving up the dough.
That's true. I know, specifically, that the administration's attitude at my "dream school" has disappointed and turned away a great many admitted students this year, and almost got me to withdraw immediately. Each school's really different.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:43 pm

Not trying to sound insensitive but I'd pack my bags for Philly get directions to Geno's and buy some Penn law tshirts. You have a full scholarship to a school that's equivalent to Boalt. I know they were your dream school but you have to realize that law schools are a business and that this is an investment for your future. You really shouldn't get attached to school outside of HYS if that's an option. When the schools are this comparable you just have to let it go. My take on it is that maybe they were your dream school but you weren't their dream student. At Penn it's the other way around. Not to be harsh but that's the way it is. Try to keep things in perspective. Also you probably built up Boalt in your head based off of brochures and location and all types of insignificant things like that. This is law school, the things that you should be worrying about are 1. Career prospects (equal at Penn) 2. Financial Aid (MUCH better at Penn) then 4. fit

teachlearn

New

Post by teachlearn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:46 pm

Thanks for the advice everybody. It was such a disappointment, and I found their curt email response almost offensive. Did anyone else get a negative impression of their finaid office? I also was a bit offended by the long lines to talk to them at admitted students weekend. At the same time, I'm not sure this is reflective of the entire school. The students I talked to said that they had negative experience with that office and nonetheless loved the school. Is this reflective of the culture?

Rock of Love

New

Post by Rock of Love » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:53 pm

I'm in the same boat. Trying to decide as well between a full ride at a lower-ranked school and Berkeley after also being disappointed by the lack of a matching (or any merit) scholly. Luckily, however, I qualified for grant money that equals the amount I asked for in the matching request. While it's the same monetary amount, I feel a kind of sting that I didn't get any kind of merit amount after receiving tempting scholly offers from equal or even higher ranked schools.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:54 pm

regardless of how much you love the school, it would be unwise to turn down a full ride at Penn for anything short of HYS. And even then there should be some considerations based on career goals.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

teachlearn

New

Post by teachlearn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:55 pm

Rock of Love wrote:I'm in the same boat. Trying to decide as well between a full ride at a lower-ranked school and Berkeley after also being disappointed by the lack of a matching (or any merit) scholly. Luckily, however, I qualified for grant money that equals the amount I asked for in the matching request. While it's the same monetary amount, I feel a kind of sting that I didn't get any kind of merit amount after receiving tempting scholly offers from equal or even higher ranked schools.
What grant money did you find and where do I find it? :)

thedogship

Bronze

Post by thedogship » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:57 pm

Take the scholarship at stipend and don't look back. A free law education from Penn is asinine to turn down just because you might prefer to go to Berkeley. Being able to graduate with a Penn degree and no debt is amazing. Def not worth taking on large loan amounts to be at UCB.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:58 pm

teachlearn wrote:
Rock of Love wrote:I'm in the same boat. Trying to decide as well between a full ride at a lower-ranked school and Berkeley after also being disappointed by the lack of a matching (or any merit) scholly. Luckily, however, I qualified for grant money that equals the amount I asked for in the matching request. While it's the same monetary amount, I feel a kind of sting that I didn't get any kind of merit amount after receiving tempting scholly offers from equal or even higher ranked schools.
i'm sure that's need based and you would've already gotten an email about it if you qualified.

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:01 am

That sucks about Berkeley. Definitely talk to them.

I'd go with Penn, in your case. Any other schools in the running?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

teachlearn

New

Post by teachlearn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:01 am

legends159 wrote:
teachlearn wrote:
i'm sure that's need based and you would've already gotten an email about it if you qualified.
Thanks... :)

Rock of Love

New

Post by Rock of Love » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:04 am

teachlearn wrote:

Yeah, completely need based, I am poor :D

teachlearn

New

Post by teachlearn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:06 am

Rock of Love wrote:
teachlearn wrote:

Yeah, completely need based, I am poor :D
Haha. Well you won't be for long with a boalt degree :)... Btw, the rock of love is probably the most entertaining show i've ever watched. How much botox and plastic surgery has bret michaels had?

teachlearn

New

Post by teachlearn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:07 am

And p.s. rock of love, how the f- did Boalt deny you aid with your incredible stats? 176 on the lsats... wowza!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

prelaw

Bronze

Post by prelaw » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:13 am

Very similar thing happened to me. I can't say I sobbed when I found out, but Berkeley was my first choice at some point. I sent in a Darrow to be matched, expecting at least a partial match. I got nothing. I'll let the dream die. It isn't worth the debt.

elliej

New

Post by elliej » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:24 am

Same for me. I was so disappointed. I submitted a 75k scholarship to Chicago for matching. Does anyone know of someone who had a larger (1/2 to full ride) matched? I know a few people I went to undergrad with who submitted for matching scholarships and the ones who submitted smaller scholarships got them and the other who submitted a near-full ride didn't get anything. I wonder if it's a bit of a game to figure out which scholarship to send in to match.

teachlearn

New

Post by teachlearn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:28 am

elliej wrote:Same for me. I was so disappointed. I submitted a 75k scholarship to Chicago for matching. Does anyone know of someone who had a larger (1/2 to full ride) matched? I know a few people I went to undergrad with who submitted for matching scholarships and the ones who submitted smaller scholarships got them and the other who submitted a near-full ride didn't get anything. I wonder if it's a bit of a game to figure out which scholarship to send in to match.
I actually heard that from two 1Ls. One had asked why they didn't get any money, and it was supposedly too big to match.

teachlearn

New

Post by teachlearn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:30 am

prelaw wrote:Very similar thing happened to me. I can't say I sobbed when I found out, but Berkeley was my first choice at some point. I sent in a Darrow to be matched, expecting at least a partial match. I got nothing. I'll let the dream die. It isn't worth the debt.
Yeah, I didnt sleep much last night, and this decision is stressing me out... so I've been pretty dramatic.

Also, it's probably more a reaction to the fact that my significant other hates philly and has made it clear that is not a great option... so we've been having a rough time :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hegemonhobbes23

New

Post by hegemonhobbes23 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:31 am

I got my offered match - 72k - I was suprised to say the least. I think you can't and shouldn't read into it - it's really just a luck thing. I think it helped that I had some legacy at Boalt.

teachlearn

New

Post by teachlearn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:34 am

hegemonhobbes23 wrote:I got my offered match - 72k - I was suprised to say the least. I think you can't and shouldn't read into it - it's really just a luck thing. I think it helped that I had some legacy at Boalt.
DId you submit an optional essay/supporting materials? thanks :)

river85

New

Post by river85 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:53 am

That's really rough... I have to say, as much as I love Berkeley (and imho it is a smidge better than Penn in many ways :) ), I would take the money from Penn and try not to look back. That is seriously way too much to turn down, if I had the option of graduating without debt I would be over the moon.

Jay Obee

New

Post by Jay Obee » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:06 am

You have to take the money at Penn. Just out of principle, you can't attend a school that won't even negotiate with you where there is a full scholarship to a peer school. It is a slap in the face. It is much better to love someone who loves you back. And you have an Ivy League school that is every bit as good as Berkeley waiting for you with bags full of cash in each hand.

And-by Robolettter? Really? Do you really want to attend a school that responds to your consideration-worthy situation with a roboletter? This is exactly why I can't go back to a UC. I'm very much looking forward to the luxuries of a private education, including an administration that sees you as more than just a number.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”