Drexel Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Mulliganstew

Bronze

Drexel Class of 2012

Post by Mulliganstew » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:46 pm

On the off chance that I'm not the only person here who sent in their deposit to Drexel, I figured I'd start up the thread.
Last edited by Mulliganstew on Thu May 07, 2009 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

pany1985

Bronze

Re: Drexel Law Class of 2012

Post by pany1985 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:50 pm

I'm not going to Drexel, but (in the spirit of today's rankings obsession) I'm curious when they're gonna be in the USNWR for the first time

Anyone know?

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:57 pm

A Drexel 3L said he was discussing it with Rutgers students and they came to an agreement that they'd be above Rutgers but below Temple. I'd guess low 80's.

But, yeah the next couple years they'll debut.
Last edited by Mulliganstew on Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PhillyLawGirl

New

Post by PhillyLawGirl » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:11 pm

They won't be ranked until they're officially accredited...probably 2010/2011 USNWR. But, I'd say somewhere between Temple (59) and Rutgers (77).

I sent in my deposit a few weeks ago to Drexel.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:25 pm

PhillyLawGirl wrote:They won't be ranked until they're officially accredited...probably 2010/2011 USNWR.
TITCR

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:15 pm

I can't wait to find out where we'll debut. :mrgreen:

phillaw

New

Post by phillaw » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:07 pm

I saw somewhere on the ABA site that provisional accreditation lasts 3-5 years.
http://www.abanet.org/legaled/resources ... eppweb.pdf

Since USN only ranks fully accredited schools, I think that pushes Drexel back to appearing in the April 2012 USN edition at the earliest. So just before the fall 2009 cohort graduates.

KiwiApple

New

Post by KiwiApple » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:08 pm

pany1985 wrote:I'm not going to Drexel, but (in the spirit of today's rankings obsession) I'm curious when they're gonna be in the USNWR for the first time

Anyone know?

Before UCI.

pany1985

Bronze

Post by pany1985 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:07 pm

Well obviously

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

santdani

New

Post by santdani » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:55 am

I sent in the deposit. There s still a chance I ll put off Law school for a year though; thanks by the way to Mulliganstew and Phillylawgirl for actively selling me on Drexel on my St. John's vs Drexel thread!

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:21 pm

Drexel's amazing. The deans of admission already know my name. :shock:

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:48 pm

Were any of you at the chat last night?

equinox

New

Post by equinox » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:13 pm

I haven't made a final decision yet, but after touring Drexel Law recently and talking to students there, I have to say that many of my doubts were put to rest. The faculty is outstanding, the students are friendly, the city is awesome - I found very little to find fault with (and I'm generally very apt to find fault). The so-called "risks" of it being a new school and so on were really eating away at me, until I visited.

BTW, i missed the online chat but read the chat log they sent out - very informative, I thought. I am impressed with their willingness to address tough questions head on - that's what they need to do to build credibility, and they're doing a pretty good job of it, at least in my book.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

murphyslaw12

New

Post by murphyslaw12 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:57 am

I've been reading these board for awhile, but I literally registered just now so that I could post here that I am mailing my deposit today! So excited!

Hausey

New

Post by Hausey » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:07 pm

Hey everybody, current Drexel 1L here.

If you need anything, feel free to e-mail me: hause.kyle at gmail.com.

BiotechKid

New

Post by BiotechKid » Fri May 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Just got back from the admitted students event today, it was a very nice event. Got some very interesting faculty...

A lot of anecdotal remarks about the love their students are receiving in the philadelphia law community, hard to decide whether or not to believe it of course (but I'm inclined to believe most of it). Seems that being the only law school that has very strong ties to the Philly bar association is paying off (all the current students mentioned the amazing networking opportunities they have had from attending bar association events and young lawyer events)... local attys that are alumni from Drexel undergrad probably help too

Now I just have to decide between coasts I guess :?

murphyslaw12

New

Post by murphyslaw12 » Sun May 03, 2009 3:16 pm

Biotechkid - I was going through the same "which coast?" debate earlier in the cycle. Are you now just deciding between drexel and one other school? Did your deposit deadline not come yet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Tue May 05, 2009 1:31 pm

I'm honestly getting really excited. I'm moving to Philly the second weekend of June. Taking a trip there in a few weeks to find an apartment. :shock:

murphyslaw12

New

Post by murphyslaw12 » Tue May 05, 2009 4:59 pm

I am very excited as well! I cannot wait to start looking for an apartment :) I live outside Philly now but I will be moving into the city itself sometime this summer. I was hoping to move by the time the Philly 4th of July celebration starts, but we'll see if that works out...Do you have an idea of which neighborhoods/areas of the city you'll be looking into?

Blake.Roth

New

Post by Blake.Roth » Tue May 05, 2009 5:19 pm

Inaugural class member willing to answer any questions if any of you incoming students have some that need answering.

blake.d.roth at gmail

Mulliganstew

Bronze

Post by Mulliganstew » Wed May 06, 2009 7:34 am

murphyslaw12 wrote:I am very excited as well! I cannot wait to start looking for an apartment :) I live outside Philly now but I will be moving into the city itself sometime this summer. I was hoping to move by the time the Philly 4th of July celebration starts, but we'll see if that works out...Do you have an idea of which neighborhoods/areas of the city you'll be looking into?
I'm looking at University City down between Walnut and Baltimore around 47th, Powellton Village (I was told a lot of law students live there.), and Collingswood in Jersey.

There's also a place I'm considering in Center City close to the river, but I don't think I can afford it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hypermeganet

Bronze

Post by hypermeganet » Wed May 06, 2009 8:08 am

Mulliganstew wrote:
murphyslaw12 wrote:I am very excited as well! I cannot wait to start looking for an apartment :) I live outside Philly now but I will be moving into the city itself sometime this summer. I was hoping to move by the time the Philly 4th of July celebration starts, but we'll see if that works out...Do you have an idea of which neighborhoods/areas of the city you'll be looking into?
I'm looking at University City down between Walnut and Baltimore around 47th, Powellton Village (I was told a lot of law students live there.), and Collingswood in Jersey.

There's also a place I'm considering in Center City close to the river, but I don't think I can afford it.
Walnut and 47th = not so good. Baltimore and 47th = good. That area (Clark Park) literally can change block to block in terms of safety. In fact, most of UCity is that way outside of the confines of Penn/Drexel's main campus area. And it's really far from Drexel. ~17 blocks or so from the law school. Powelton Village is right on Drexel's northern border (32nd-36th and Race area). Much more convenient, a bit safer, but loaded with undergrads. Collingswood is far, too, but if you don't mind driving in daily, it could be ok.

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Wed May 06, 2009 9:54 am

hypermeganet wrote:
Mulliganstew wrote:

Walnut and 47th = not so good. Baltimore and 47th = good. That area (Clark Park) literally can change block to block in terms of safety. In fact, most of UCity is that way outside of the confines of Penn/Drexel's main campus area. And it's really far from Drexel. ~17 blocks or so from the law school. Powelton Village is right on Drexel's northern border (32nd-36th and Race area). Much more convenient, a bit safer, but loaded with undergrads. Collingswood is far, too, but if you don't mind driving in daily, it could be ok.
Well, I do think Baltimore and 47th is ok for Drexel - it's 10 minutes by the 34 trolley (runs on Baltimore), and it stops near the law school. Powelton Village is full of undergrads, and be careful the closer you approach Powelton - and I wouldn't live past it. Some people do, but it's not really worth the risk to safety and lack of anything around it to make it worthwhile.

I think Center City is great. But, it might be a better choice for 2L/3L when you have more time to do stuff and might be doing a co-op working in downtown. Also, as for Collingswood - you'd either have to drive, or I know people who commute in from there who do PATCO to 8th St. and then the El to 34th, but that might be around 30-35 minutes. Drexel isn't the best campus for parking.

murphyslaw12

New

Post by murphyslaw12 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:40 am

I would love love love to live in Old City, but I don't know if being on a student's budget would make that a very wise choise... I also really like the Fairmount/Art Museum area (the Ben Franklin Parkway area is one of my favorite parts of the city, visually). I read that chatlog thinger from last week and, if I remember correctly, the admissions people said that students live in both of these areas...does anyone living in the city now have any idea if there are affordable options in either of these areas?

murphyslaw12

New

Post by murphyslaw12 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:41 am

Hausey wrote:Hey everybody, current Drexel 1L here.

If you need anything, feel free to e-mail me: hause.kyle at gmail.com.

BTW - Hey Kyle, this is Rachel that emailed you a few weeks ago!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”