Villanova Law Class of 2012! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
General Tso

Gold

Re: Villanova Law Class of 2012!

Post by General Tso » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:02 pm

scared and sober I just started a poll for you over on the law student's forum.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =3&t=69483

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:08 pm

scared and sober wrote:
Why do you insist that the kinds of shitty attorney jobs posted on craigslist are common for the legal industry?

Because I am a TTT grad myself and have been an attorney for 4 years. These jobs are not only "common," they are the norm for the non-Top 5% at diploma mills like 'Nova. You're going to find all this out for yourself in a couple of years, and wish you'd listened to me.

It is so sad watching you guys make this mistake. Its like a car accident- hard to look at and hard to look away from. You can't begin to imagine how grim your prospects at a job are going to be coming out of a Tier 2.

The thing is, its hard to even land one of these 40 K gutter jobs. My first job paid 45 K and when I left they got over 115 resumes for the gig! Why not talk to some 2nd and 3rd years at 'Nova that aren't puppets for the school's propoganda machine. I can guarantee you won't like what you hear.
Why are you applying for open positions? I mean openly advertised positions. Why aren't you networking, interning, meeting people, getting to know local officials, etc.?

I just told you...80% of people don't find their jobs by applying to these kinds of positions. It's not just the legal field where advertised positions are swamped with applications. When I was in high school I applied to be a bag boy at my local Kroger's in a small town (~13k people). There was about a 5 or 6 inch high stack applications for that position. There were well over 100 applications in that stack. You know how I landed the job? I went to church with one of the Customer Service Managers, and they put in a good word with the store manager.

EVERY field will be swamped with applications if you seek a job in this manner. You need to meet with a career coach and reevaluate your job search strategy.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:10 pm

Networking landed my brother a job in small town MS. He graduated bottom of his class at a TTT. He's only making around 45k but that is good money in MS and the work is easy. He's doing child support payment enforcement for a local government agency.

It didn't take him long to find this job. Only a month or so.

Jezebel

New

Post by Jezebel » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:50 pm

LOL @ scared and sober trolling message boards. I honestly can't imagine how boring your life is if this is what you do for fun in your spare time. If I wasn't going to Nova, I would never even bother reading this board. Sad...

I'd suggest to everyone on here to not respond to scared and sober. Just ignore. Ignore and the troll will get bored and leave

Jezebel

New

Post by Jezebel » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:55 pm

scaredstiff165 wrote:I just got some time to look at the email we received about the new curriculum. What do y'all think? Does anyone know what the 1L curriculum was like before the change?
I was wondering if someone would comment about the letter. I got it last week. I was going to contact someone I know who is a 2L and ask him how it differs. I find it very interesting they tell us about the curriculum change AFTER we send in our seat deposit. Not that it would make me change my mind, but it seems like something that maybe should have been addressed :?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:58 pm

Jezebel wrote:LOL @ scared and sober trolling message boards. I honestly can't imagine how boring your life is if this is what you do for fun in your spare time. If I wasn't going to Nova, I would never even bother reading this board. Sad...

I'd suggest to everyone on here to not respond to scared and sober. Just ignore. Ignore and the troll will get bored and leave
He won't leave. He's been banned before. He's been warned to keep his posts in the Bad Economy stickied thread.

He keeps coming back...he's got some kind of sick complex where he thinks its his mission to scare the little kiddies straight.

Mods will eventually ban his current username, but trust me, he'll be back within a week or 2.

stioseco

New

Post by stioseco » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:11 pm

What's the new curriculum going to be like?

Jezebel

New

Post by Jezebel » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:27 pm

stioseco wrote:What's the new curriculum going to be like?
From the letter
"Summary--You will still take the five traditional first year courses (Civil Procedure, Contracts, Criminal Law, Property and Torts) but in a new, intensive one-semester design. You will participate in a transactional practicum designed into one of the spring semester courses. You will study Constitutional Law in the spring semester and you will select an elective course from a menu of specially designed first-year electives, also offered in the spring semester. The practicum does not replace, but rather dovetails with our top-rated legal writing and research programs. You will learn research skills and strategies from our JD Librarian Legal Research Instructors in the fall, and you will take Legal Analysis, Writing and Oral Advocacy I and II in the fall and spring, respectively.

This redesign, the first phase of a major curriculum initiative, responds to current research into law curricula nationwide, major studies of legal education including the Carnegie Report and the CLEA Best Practices Report, the changing face of the profession, but most important an in-depth analysis of our own aspirations, culture and mission."

It goes into lots of detail about the changes but this is the basic outline

scaredstiff165

New

Post by scaredstiff165 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:32 pm

They actually did mention the new curriculum at the ASD but they didn't go in to great detail.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stioseco

New

Post by stioseco » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:40 pm

did they mention the electives?

n4sir1999

New

Post by n4sir1999 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:05 pm

When is everyone going to make moves towards philly for good?

scaredstiff165

New

Post by scaredstiff165 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:12 pm

I can't start a new lease until my current lease is up so probably August 1st.

rvill7

New

Post by rvill7 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:39 pm

August...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jezebel

New

Post by Jezebel » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:27 pm

so let's get that fbook group set up... if someone agrees to help me with it, i'll do it. i just don't want to be the person to try to do it on her own and then fail haha

besides, i'm super curious to know who all of you are. at least on fbook we get real names and profiles to peruse when bored at work :D

rvill7

New

Post by rvill7 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:34 pm

Go for it, I'm here for you.

Jezebel

New

Post by Jezebel » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:22 pm

rvill7 wrote:Go for it, I'm here for you.
excellent. i'm sending you a PM with my actual name.

ObLaDiObLaDa

New

Post by ObLaDiObLaDa » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:08 pm

I'm interested in the group as well. Now that we know we're all going to be attending school together, can't hurt to find out more than just our TLS names and avatars.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jezebel

New

Post by Jezebel » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:19 pm

ObLaDiObLaDa wrote:I'm interested in the group as well. Now that we know we're all going to be attending school together, can't hurt to find out more than just our TLS names and avatars.
Check the wall for the VLS 2012 Class. I posted the link for the new student-run group. I sent out as many message invites as I could before fbook accused me of spamming...

Jezebel

New

Post by Jezebel » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:32 pm

Also, guys, send me a message on fbook with your TLS user name so I know who you are! You clearly know who I am... (the creator of the new fbook group)

budafied

New

Post by budafied » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:29 pm

Hey everyone, just reminding again of housing. I'll be in the graduate school, but i'd be more than happy to share housing with a law studetn, as i may be doing law after grad school. I guess it'd give me a chance to see what its really like.

PM me or email johnlabuda@gmail.com if you may be interested...

ObLaDiObLaDa

New

Post by ObLaDiObLaDa » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:33 am

Villanova sent me an email telling me they updated my award letter so I freaked out thinking maybe they increased my scholarship, but I've logged on and I can't tell any difference in my letter.

Weird.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

scaredstiff165

New

Post by scaredstiff165 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:48 am

ObLaDiObLaDa wrote:Villanova sent me an email telling me they updated my award letter so I freaked out thinking maybe they increased my scholarship, but I've logged on and I can't tell any difference in my letter.

Weird.
same here.

ObLaDiObLaDa

New

Post by ObLaDiObLaDa » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:50 am

Huh. Wonder why they did that. I even checked it against the old one I had been sent, and every thing is exactly the same.

scaredstiff165

New

Post by scaredstiff165 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:08 pm

So I started looking for apartments and def want to live close to school and where other law students are staying. Has anyone leased yet or decided where they're going to live?

perconte1

New

Post by perconte1 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:11 pm

Hey everybody, I'm really torn between villanova and Case Western. I really don't know much about the philly area, I was only there once for about a few hours.
Do you guys mind sharing why YOU have decided on villanova? Are you all confident in the opportunities available after graduation, as well as the quality of life in Pennsylvania? I'm from Las Vegas, and i'm excited about a new change, but I'm a bit scared about what has been said about Nova. Plus, with all of the schools in the area that compete for jobs, I wonder if Nova will be more of a degree factory for those not in the top 10%. Please share your thoughts guys. On the plus side, when I visited I got an incredible vibe from the students. They were all so nice, and I can tell from this forum that you guys are pretty outgoing and excited about Nova. Good luck to all of you.

P.S. Looks like it's good news for Nova where Arlen Specter is concerned. I heard that since Gov. Rendell was so instrumental in his conversion, that his wife has a shot at a supreme court nomination when it becomes available. That would be incredible for Villanova. I heard it from the talking heads of the news shows so maybe it's useless information, but hey you never know

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”