Vanderbilt 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
vapula

New

Re: Vanderbilt 2012

Post by vapula » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:52 pm

An off topic question: how hard it is for law student's significant other find an engineering job in Nashville? Or the area around Nashville? My bf graduated this year with a civil engineering degree and he is seriously thinking moving to Nashville with me, if he can find a job there. Given the economy right now, we don't know what's going on with Nashville's job market. But we would really love to stay in Nashville during law school and maybe even stay longer after I graduate.

Thanks!

Jojo

New

Post by Jojo » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:15 pm

Not ignoring this, I just have no idea. Sorry.

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:59 pm

Passing along an interesting email from one of our esteemed international law professors. I'm guessing the link works for admitted students.

And vapula: don't know about the civil engineering sector in Nashville but contact the school and see if they can help. Vanderbilt is the second largest employer in the city behind HCA, and the law school also has good ties with the mayor and city government in general. Admissions are very sincere about helping out SO's and I'd imagine they'd put you in touch with the right folks if they can swing it.

-------------------------------
To all – I do hope that you are having a great experience wherever you may be this summer.

This email is just to remind you that the deadline for submitting applications to the Department of State for externships during the spring semester 2010 [roughly Jan to mid-late May] is July1, 2009. The process is at this link -- http://careers.state.gov/students/programs.html [you want the student internships section].. The Vanderbilt International Legal Studies Program has already arranged a tentative spring externship with the Office of the War Crimes Ambassador in Washington, which will be restricted to a student who excels in the International Criminal Law offering during the fall semester. That office will be listed under the Secretary’s Bureau – each applicant will be required to list three preferred offices, embassies in order, and I am available to assist/advise students over email …

The link above is for the range of offerings around the world and in Washington, to include the Embassy Hague, and Embassy Geneva [which have exceptional opportunities available in the Legal offices]. All other State Department Legal externships must be applied for at a separate link [deadlines for permanent jobs are September 30, and for externships March 31 for the fall semester and May 31 for following spring [NOTE è the L process is a completely independent process – hence some students may want to submit applications at both locations] –

As a courtesy, and to facilitate my efforts to assist your placements – if you choose to apply, or have applied, I would appreciate receiving an email with your three preferences listed in order … GOOD LUCK !!!

jayhawkai

New

Post by jayhawkai » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:02 pm

edit: wrong thread
Last edited by jayhawkai on Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vapula

New

Post by vapula » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:35 pm

observationalist wrote:Passing along an interesting email from one of our esteemed international law professors. I'm guessing the link works for admitted students.

And vapula: don't know about the civil engineering sector in Nashville but contact the school and see if they can help. Vanderbilt is the second largest employer in the city behind HCA, and the law school also has good ties with the mayor and city government in general. Admissions are very sincere about helping out SO's and I'd imagine they'd put you in touch with the right folks if they can swing it.

-------------------------------
To all – I do hope that you are having a great experience wherever you may be this summer.

This email is just to remind you that the deadline for submitting applications to the Department of State for externships during the spring semester 2010 [roughly Jan to mid-late May] is July1, 2009. The process is at this link -- http://careers.state.gov/students/programs.html [you want the student internships section].. The Vanderbilt International Legal Studies Program has already arranged a tentative spring externship with the Office of the War Crimes Ambassador in Washington, which will be restricted to a student who excels in the International Criminal Law offering during the fall semester. That office will be listed under the Secretary’s Bureau – each applicant will be required to list three preferred offices, embassies in order, and I am available to assist/advise students over email …

The link above is for the range of offerings around the world and in Washington, to include the Embassy Hague, and Embassy Geneva [which have exceptional opportunities available in the Legal offices]. All other State Department Legal externships must be applied for at a separate link [deadlines for permanent jobs are September 30, and for externships March 31 for the fall semester and May 31 for following spring [NOTE è the L process is a completely independent process – hence some students may want to submit applications at both locations] –

As a courtesy, and to facilitate my efforts to assist your placements – if you choose to apply, or have applied, I would appreciate receiving an email with your three preferences listed in order … GOOD LUCK !!!

Well, that's good to know. I was just wondering whether it would be appropriate to ask the admissions...we are probably going to be there in late July, and see what happens. We really love Nashville! Thank you for assuring me that I should ask such question to the admissions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rezipsa

Bronze

Post by rezipsa » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:06 pm

FYI, the tentative fall 1L schedule (w/ profs) is up:
--LinkRemoved--

You can nab outlines here. HTH!
--LinkRemoved--

Rising 2L's and 3L's, our fall schdule (replete /w short course listings) is up too.
--LinkRemoved--

New

Post by 1848 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:44 pm

thanks rezipsa. does anyone know when we'll find out what section we're in?

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:57 pm

1848 wrote:thanks rezipsa. does anyone know when we'll find out what section we're in?
3Ls get to pick based on who we like. Karaoke the week before classes start is how we usually separate the As from the Bs. I was Section B and we had a better group, even though they gave us 8am Torts on Fridays.

vapula

New

Post by vapula » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:16 pm

1848 wrote:thanks rezipsa. does anyone know when we'll find out what section we're in?
same question here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vapula

New

Post by vapula » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:16 pm

observationalist wrote:
3Ls get to pick based on who we like. Karaoke the week before classes start is how we usually separate the As from the Bs. I was Section B and we had a better group, even though they gave us 8am Torts on Fridays.
That made me feel happy that I'll be living some where 5 minutes walking to school...

jenesaislaw

Silver

Post by jenesaislaw » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:30 pm

Interesting, looks like Sherry and George are separating into two sections for Life of the Law.

Also, there's no way that that is the final schedule for incoming 1Ls. I'd expect it to change.

Jojo

New

Post by Jojo » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:59 pm

We didn't find out sections until a few days before classes started. If I remember correctly it was the night orientation finished? something like that. Anyway, don't expect to find out for a long time. This may be a self-fulfilling prophecy based on reputation, but the general trend is that section A gets better grades and is full of gunners and section B is more laid back and fun to be in. Obviously, impossible to know with the no ranking and the fact that you can't experience the other sections, but still interesting.

vapula

New

Post by vapula » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:39 am

Jojo wrote:We didn't find out sections until a few days before classes started. If I remember correctly it was the night orientation finished? something like that. Anyway, don't expect to find out for a long time. This may be a self-fulfilling prophecy based on reputation, but the general trend is that section A gets better grades and is full of gunners and section B is more laid back and fun to be in. Obviously, impossible to know with the no ranking and the fact that you can't experience the other sections, but still interesting.
I am curious how they seperate sections to make sure such things would happen...would it be unfair to know that one secion gets better grades and the other does not? Or it is simplely because they make sure people in section A will definitely perform better than the other one? How can they tell?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:34 pm

vapula wrote:
Jojo wrote:We didn't find out sections until a few days before classes started. If I remember correctly it was the night orientation finished? something like that. Anyway, don't expect to find out for a long time. This may be a self-fulfilling prophecy based on reputation, but the general trend is that section A gets better grades and is full of gunners and section B is more laid back and fun to be in. Obviously, impossible to know with the no ranking and the fact that you can't experience the other sections, but still interesting.
I am curious how they seperate sections to make sure such things would happen...would it be unfair to know that one secion gets better grades and the other does not? Or it is simplely because they make sure people in section A will definitely perform better than the other one? How can they tell?
I asked them about this when I was a 1L and the response is that each group is supposed to be split the same way across a number of metrics. It's why they don't announce the sections until the last minute... they're waiting to see who all is here. LSAT/gpa medians will definitely be about the same, as will scholarships, WL-accepts, sex, age, ethnicity, geographical location, musical pitch (joke!), and any other qualifications they want to hold constant across the sections. What they don't have a way to account for is who plans on buckling down all semester and who prefers some semblance of normalcy, and that's where the two sections often become less balanced since they're both prone to reinforcing from the actions of your peers. That makes sense... they can control for all the stats that factor into getting accepted into law schools based on applications, but usually not for personality unless they've met everyone.

I guess it's possible that this year they could divide the groups up more evenly based on the interview reports for those who did them, but that seems like an impossible task. So long as they aren't providing students with a competitive disadvantage in one section over the other, they've done the best they can.

rezipsa

Bronze

Post by rezipsa » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:52 am

FYI, pls find below the 2008 OCI req list and schedule scenario (the .pdf versions were removed, but I managed to locate the .xls versions). Can someone IM/email me when the 2009 version is up? Cheers.

--LinkRemoved--

--LinkRemoved--

vhalcyon

New

Post by vhalcyon » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:14 am

vapula wrote:An off topic question: how hard it is for law student's significant other find an engineering job in Nashville? Or the area around Nashville? My bf graduated this year with a civil engineering degree and he is seriously thinking moving to Nashville with me, if he can find a job there. Given the economy right now, we don't know what's going on with Nashville's job market. But we would really love to stay in Nashville during law school and maybe even stay longer after I graduate.

Thanks!
i have several friends that got civil engineering jobs in nashville after graduation (i was a vandy undergrad) so i know its possible. what the job market is like is anyone's guess. not much help, sorry.

and i know that the a/b split wont happen until late. we had the schedule up around this time but the class rolls werent populated to (i think im right) the thursday or friday before class started.

also... go to venice. its awesome.

rezipsa

Bronze

Post by rezipsa » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:13 pm

I think my section had more gunners. Equal amounts of preppiness though...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vhalcyon

New

Post by vhalcyon » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:34 pm

cmon rez. it took several of us to cancel out one of the B kids. but we certainly tried.

rezipsa

Bronze

Post by rezipsa » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:43 pm

vhalcyon wrote:cmon rez. it took several of us to cancel out one of the B kids. but we certainly tried.
Go 'Dores!

mvk216

New

Post by mvk216 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:11 pm

Everyone,

I wanted to let everyone know about a house that I'll be leasing for the coming year with a bedroom up for grabs. The place is in the west end neighborhood and only about a 6 minute drive to campus. It has it's own parking, a backyard, large living room, 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and is 2300 sq ft. Everything is recently renovated and the address is on Murphy Rd about a block from West End Ave. I've posted a link to a picasa album you'll can take a look. Rent is $1800/month so that would be $600 per person + 1/3 utilities. There is also a $600 deposit which will be applied to the last month's rent. The house also has a basement, central air and brand new appliances throughout. The lease will be for 10 months which should work out nicely for anyone looking to get a summer job next year away from Nashville (the lease is for August 1 - May 31). So far the two bedrooms are taken by me and a friend (both 0Ls) with the third still available.

Anyone who's interested or has questions feel free to PM me. Please provide a little background about yourself. Thanks.

-Mike

--LinkRemoved--

booker09

New

Post by booker09 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:44 pm

hi all, i just off the WL, and have until tomorrow (monday) to decide on Vandy. i was wondering if anyone knew what the fall semester courses are for first years? i believe it's on the Accepted Students' Site, but i don't have any log-in info yet (haven't turned in a deposit)

the general website (not the Accepted Students site) says there are 10 required 1L courses, but one of them (Life of the Law) is P/F..which made me wonder how the credits are distributed between the 2 semesters?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DSTned4Law

New

Post by DSTned4Law » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:43 am

1L courses are not posted yet and I don't think will be for another couple of weeks. Orientation is August 17 so there's plenty of time. Sections haven't even been decided yet. And there isn't any log-in information necessary for the Admitted Student Site. It can be found here:

--LinkRemoved--

Life of the Law is worth 1 credit, not pass/fail. And, taken off one of the other msg boards:

For the Class of 2011:
All, Pre-Semester
Life of the Law (1)
Section A, Semester 1
Torts (4), Reg State (4), Civ Pro (4), Legal Writing I (2).
Section B, Semester 1
Contracts (4), Reg State (4), Civ Pro (4), Legal Writing I (2).
Section A, Semester 2
Contracts (4), Property (4), Constitutional (3), Criminal (3), Legal Writing II (2).
Section B, Semester 2
Torts (4), Property (4), Constitutional (3), Criminal (3), Legal Writing II (2).

booker09

New

Post by booker09 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:58 am

DSTned4Law wrote:1L courses are not posted yet and I don't think will be for another couple of weeks. Orientation is August 17 so there's plenty of time. Sections haven't even been decided yet. And there isn't any log-in information necessary for the Admitted Student Site. It can be found here:

--LinkRemoved--

Life of the Law is worth 1 credit, not pass/fail. And, taken off one of the other msg boards:

For the Class of 2011:
All, Pre-Semester
Life of the Law (1)
Section A, Semester 1
Section B, Semester 1
Section A, Semester 2
Contracts (4), Property (4), Constitutional (3), Criminal (3), Legal Writing II (2).
Section B, Semester 2
Torts (4), Property (4), Constitutional (3), Criminal (3), Legal Writing II (2).
thanks! i didn't know Life of the Law was a pre-semester class... what does that mean? it's taken during orientation or something? Also, didn't know there were only 2 sections, and that they didn't take the same classes each semester. good to know

booker09

New

Post by booker09 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:19 am

oh yeah and another thing. can anyone comment on the racial makeup of the student body? obviously, at all law schools, minorities are a minority. but i just have this idea of Vanderbilt being super white, more so than Emory or Duke. the stats on Vanderbilt's website seem to support; only 20% minorities (albeit a small overall class)

and, i really don't mean to offend, but while a lot of ppl seem to like that Vanderbilt is a southern school, i find that a huge turn off. DISCLAIMER: no, i am not being a provincial yankee here. i live in GA, so i know what (a part of) the south is like.

[will be posting in the "decision at Vanderbilt!!" thread, sorry for the repeat post]

DSTned4Law

New

Post by DSTned4Law » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:35 pm

booker09 wrote:
DSTned4Law wrote:1L courses are not posted yet and I don't think will be for another couple of weeks. Orientation is August 17 so there's plenty of time. Sections haven't even been decided yet. And there isn't any log-in information necessary for the Admitted Student Site. It can be found here:

--LinkRemoved--

For the Class of 2011:
All, Pre-Semester
Life of the Law (1)
Section A, Semester 1
Section B, Semester 1
Section A, Semester 2
Section B, Semester 2
thanks! i didn't know Life of the Law was a pre-semester class... what does that mean? it's taken during orientation or something? Also, didn't know there were only 2 sections, and that they didn't take the same classes each semester. good to know

Yeah. It's only taken from August 18 - 21st (Orientation week). And yes. The entering class is typically no more than 190 students so only 2 sections are needed for such a small group.
booker09 wrote:oh yeah and another thing. can anyone comment on the racial makeup of the student body? obviously, at all law schools, minorities are a minority. but i just have this idea of Vanderbilt being super white, more so than Emory or Duke. the stats on Vanderbilt's website seem to support; only 20% minorities (albeit a small overall class)

and, i really don't mean to offend, but while a lot of ppl seem to like that Vanderbilt is a southern school, i find that a huge turn off. DISCLAIMER: no, i am not being a provincial yankee here. i live in GA, so i know what (a part of) the south is like.

[will be posting in the "decision at Vanderbilt!!" thread, sorry for the repeat post]
I attended an HBCU in Georgia for undergrad so I understand what you mean. I will say that from my experience at Vandy's admitted student wknd, yes, there's an overwhelming (or at least it was for me, coming from an HBCU after all) amount of "the majority" at the school. But you're going to have that anywhere you go unless you're attending Howard Law. And you're probably going to feel like Vandy is "super white" compared to Emory or Duke because those schools have a larger student body, so there will clearly be more minorities. And though Vandy is a southern school - I think what sets it apart from most is that the student body/faculty/staff is just RIDICULOUSLY nice. I know you've heard that a thousand times over, but it's true. And the white people I encountered in the Nashville area were just as nice. Basically, you won't feel like the klan and/or a lynch mob is after you, lol. Don't worry. It's in the South, but aside from the incessant country music - it doesn't really feel like it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”