Cardozo Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
jd joke degree

New

Re: Cardozo Class of 2012

Post by jd joke degree » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:33 am

There's a log-jam of deferred Biglaw associates from the Top 14, many aren't starting until 2012 at this point! Even schools like GW (which is much higher ranked than 'Bozo) are facing massive OCI cancellations:

--LinkRemoved--

I love this quote:

The cancellation list at GW just gets longer each day...
DPW still has GW on its own (brand-new) website, but apparently they're not coming anymore. Can't blame them, no need to reach down into the 30s in this economy and the folks at top law schools are vying for a firm job already. No surprise that DLA and Orrick pulled out, they probably don't need any more attorneys on payroll as it is.

See, lemmings? No need for Biglaw to dip down into the 30s ranked schools like GW anymore. The few slots they have to fill will be going to the upper half of Top 14 schools, period. There are going to be more happy faces at Sloan-Kettering's bone cancer ward than at 'Bozo 2010 OCI!

Some toilets like Brooklyn Law are even inviting the document review temp staffing agencies to come in to OCI. As you know, temp attorney jobs are dead end, boring, offer no health insurance, and pay between $25 and $30 an hour. This is less than a Fed Ex driver gets. Many of you would be better off just learning a trade like welding or auto repair. Law is dead for all but the super-elite. If 'Bozo was the best school you could score into, take it as a warning sign that you aren't cut out for this industry.

newportlady

New

Post by newportlady » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:41 am

"Which begs the question: why are you not being similarly hysterical in the Fordham, Brooklyn, NYLS, etc., etc., etc. threads?"

Oh, I see. Cardozo administration troll.

Don't you feel the slightest level of remorse for leading people into financial suicide?

Comrade 72

New

Post by Comrade 72 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:50 am

Oh, I see. Cardozo administration troll.
Uh, no. I think I've been pretty clear about who I am. Why don't you just answer the question?

newportlady

New

Post by newportlady » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:53 am

Document Review positions are few and far between. They are low paying, dead-end, and don't provide for any advancement or benefits. Even if you were lucky enough to work on one of these all year (which is becoming ever more unlikely, I know people that are now unemployed months in between each gig), you would only net under 60K a year and have to pay for your own benefits. Check out craigslist or any other legal employment website, and you will see that many of them now require several years worth of legal experience for shitty jobs that offer no advancement or benefits. How are you going to pay back three years of nyc rent compounding at 8.5% interest under these conditions, let alone pay for your own health insurance, save for retirement, or save for a down payment? Just do the math. You are about to use NON-DISCHARGEABLE debt to pay for an obscenely inflated asset.
Last edited by newportlady on Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Comrade 72

New

Post by Comrade 72 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:57 am

How are you going to pay back three years of nyc rent compounding at 8.5% interest under these conditions?
From Wikipedia:
[French Foreign] Legionnaires can choose to enlist under a pseudonym ("declared identity"). This disposition exists in order to allow people who want to start their lives over to enlist.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jd joke degree

New

Post by jd joke degree » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:25 pm

Wow, check out this oldie but goodie:

http://temporaryattorney.blogspot.com/2 ... state.html

Read the many comments to this story from recent 'Bozo grads. Doesn't sound too pretty for most of them, does it?

I'm not just here trolling. I sincerely wish you'd all call 'Bozo ASAP and withdraw. Email me at temp.esq@gmail.com if you'd like to speak privately. You're making a mistake that you'll regret for the rest of your life. Career services is not going to do anything for you if you aren't Top 5% and law review. There is one attoreny for every 120 people in NY State, and that ratio gets worse all the time. Ask yourself how many lawyers you've needed in your life? Then open up the NYC yellow pages and count the sheer number of lawyers already out there. You guys are boarding the Titanic after it struck the iceberg. The legal industry is sinking fast and is in much worse shape than the general economy. And the debt you're taking on is staggering.

If you really want to do this, why not just go to CUNY? It doesn't place any worse than 'Bozo and is about 1/4 the price. The major mistake 0 L's make is to assume that rankings outside the Top 14 have any meaning. They don't. Once you miss the Top 5% at 'Bozo, you'll be scrounging for the same rinky-dink craigslist gigs that the NYLS, BLS, St Johns and Hofstra crew are. These boiler room firms that do insurance defense, personal injury, and other gutter areas could care less where you went to law school. The work in these areas is beyond easy and mostly just cut n' paste crap that $5 an hour secretaries slap together. The shitlaw firms only hire you because they need someone to appear in court and cover the calendar.

And even these "calendar monkey" jobs are vanishing because many shitlaw firms also have much less business than they used to, and simply use per diem lawyers (outside counsel) to cover depositions and appearances. Per diem lawyers are dirt cheap- there's a guy on craiglist who gets $50 for an appearance and $125 for a deposition. And you have ZERO chance of getting a per diem gig because you will have no practical experience coming out of law school.

I'm telling you the hard truth that I know you don't want to hear. But you should hear it, and heed my advice. Don't go to 'Bozo.

newportlady

New

Post by newportlady » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:44 pm

Don't listen to anonymous naysayers then. Do your own research.

Why don't you go to craigslist and scout out entry level attorney and document review positions? Email the recruiters and kindly explain your situation in that you are seeking advice before you plop down over 100K. I am sure some of them would be willing to give you a somewhat honest picture of how bad the job market has really been in recent years. Ask them what types of projects they are staffing right now, the general pay, and what sort of credentials you need to land them. Don't rely on what any "career center counselor" at your law school has to tell you. It has been well documented in the media that these people play fast and loose with the statistics, and their primary job is to paint the school in the best possible light so that they can get next year's class of loan paying lemmings into the door.

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:46 pm

jd joke degree wrote:You guys are boarding the Titanic after it struck the iceberg.
this made me laugh, but other than that, you've made your point, so please, kindly

why aren't you banned already? i mean, i know you've been banned but keep making new accounts, but i'd think by now they'd have IP banned you or something to that effect

Comrade 72

New

Post by Comrade 72 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:47 pm

Don't listen to anonymous naysayers then. Do your own research.
If I promise to do exactly that, will that suffice to make you and all your various identities go away?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

VictoryFord

New

Post by VictoryFord » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:07 pm

this is ridiculous

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:26 pm

VictoryFord wrote:this is ridiculous
+1. Condescension is so obnoxious. Cardozo students know. We all know. We can't change the economy, but some of us are pursuing a legal education for reasons unrelated to raking in the benjamins.

kow613

New

Post by kow613 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:20 pm

mjustice wrote:
Comrade 72 wrote: Other business: how many of us are in NYC already? Among those that are, is anyone interested in having a mini-TLS meetup pre-orientation and get a head start on forming a clique of underachieving, doc review-bound losers?
As a fellow incoming Cardozo 1L, I will be living in NY at the beginning of August. I think a pre-orientation meet-up is a great idea, especially since I am so unfamiliar with the area. My knowledge of the city is limited to the abundance of shops selling "I <3 NY" T-Shirts (Ok, I am kidding, but I have never lived there before).

On another note: The housing search is a little bit frustrating. Have any of you used a particular no-fee broker? Or have you just relied on websites such as villagevoice.com?
Hey try using craigslist or urbansherpany.com those are two good bets for finding a place

kow613

New

Post by kow613 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:26 pm

Has anyone received loan information from Cardozo yet?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mjustice

New

Post by mjustice » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:17 pm

kow613 wrote:Has anyone received loan information from Cardozo yet?
You should have received a letter in the mail about your Stafford eligibility (likely the full 20,500/yr sub+unsub). On that same document will list if you got an institutional loan (rare) and any other aid/grant info. If you have no received this, just give the finaid office a call and they'll send it ASAP.

Assuming you have taken care of the FAFSA, visit here. You can apply for Direct Stafford and GradPLUS loans through these links. I haven't received any feedback about my submittals, however, but this will be necessary to get loans.

BTW: Thanks for the housing websites. Urbansherpany seems pretty good!

Edit: You need to go here to see your total GradPLUS eligibility. You will need to put a specific number on the GradPLUS application by semester amount. Just need to take the final number on the site and subtract all stafford loans and other aid.

kow613

New

Post by kow613 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:31 pm

Thanks for the help.

In every email or letter they send us they keep mentioning how the class is full, yet I keep seeing on TLS that people are getting in off the waitlist and being offered spots. think this is dishonesty or things are changing?

Gianna26

New

Post by Gianna26 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:41 am

kow613 wrote:Thanks for the help.

In every email or letter they send us they keep mentioning how the class is full, yet I keep seeing on TLS that people are getting in off the waitlist and being offered spots. think this is dishonesty or things are changing?
I just got in, and was told they are "full" and have been for awhile, but the dean had discretion to offer me a seat. I'm not sure if that helps, but for what it's worth i got the class is full comment as well.

If anybody has an New York related questions, needs help w/ city stuff, feel free to PM me. I've lived here pretty much all my life and would be happy to help.

Also i'm 99% sure that i will be joining you guys in the fall; waiting on a potential WL decision from Fordham, but i have to commit by next week so not much time.

Anyway, i'm looking forward to it! (despite the crazy ranting in this thread lol)

Comrade 72

New

Post by Comrade 72 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:04 pm

Everyone get their section assignments, etc?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”