LSU 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
gittar03

New

LSU 2012

Post by gittar03 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:05 pm

Just wanted to start a post for everyone who made the decision to start at LSU this fall. A bit about you, where you're looking to live in BR, favorites places in BR, whatever.

Me:
24, male, from Dallas, TX.
Looking for ANYwhere to live within walking distance to the law school (this is harrrrrd for my price range)
Loved Chimes. Had my first oyster shot there and almost threw up. Good times.

Objection

Silver

Re: LSU 2012

Post by Objection » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:11 pm

gittar03 wrote:Just wanted to start a post for everyone who made the decision to start at LSU this fall. A bit about you, where you're looking to live in BR, favorites places in BR, whatever.

Me:
24, male, from Dallas, TX.
Looking for ANYwhere to live within walking distance to the law school (this is harrrrrd for my price range)
Loved Chimes. Had my first oyster shot there and almost threw up. Good times.
What is your price range? Baton Rouge isn't too expensive. I'd highly recommend trying to get one of the on-campus apartments (ECA or WCA). They're not fancy living, but 4 bedroom/2 bathroom/living room/kitchen on campus for a bit over $700 month (it goes directly to your fee bill). ECA is probably within a 2 minute walk from the law school. WCA is a bit further (probably closer to 10-12 minutes, even though it's on campus). They may be full, however.

I can ask around and see where some of my friends are living and get price ranges. I go to LSU UG.

indeed?

New

Post by indeed? » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:24 pm

I just mailed off my deposit so it looks like I am officially going to LSU!

21, female, atlanta. I have not started looking for housing but will be doing so ASAP. I am all about walking to campus so please PM if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks for starting this thread, gittar and thanks for the on-campus apartments information, Objection.

Go Tigers!

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:14 pm

*Geaux :wink:

I actually just got an off-campus housing advertisement in the mail yesterday. I'll post the prices listed later.

UGAVII

New

Post by UGAVII » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:42 pm

21 Male UGA undergrad. Ill be headed to Baton Rouge if UGA doesnt want me. It is nice to know some other GA people may be making the trek to Red Stick.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gittar03

New

Post by gittar03 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:56 pm

indeed? wrote:I just mailed off my deposit so it looks like I am officially going to LSU!

21, female, atlanta. I have not started looking for housing but will be doing so ASAP. I am all about walking to campus so please PM if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks for starting this thread, gittar and thanks for the on-campus apartments information, Objection.

Go Tigers!
I'll be visiting Baton Rouge on Easter weekend to visit some apartments... I'll post whatever I find out when I get back!

MLong

New

Post by MLong » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:25 pm

Wow, I feel old. I am 32 this Sunday, female from Lake Charles, LA.

Not sure where I'll live yet, but will figure that out based upon how financial aid goes.

After visiting the Chancellors home at the cocktail reception, I can tell you - I would live in his yard. What a beautiful home.

And, Gittar- you should have been there. They had it catered and even though I hate oysters, the ones they served were probably one of the best things I've ever tasted.

emv

New

Post by emv » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:39 pm

I went LSU for UG (graduated in dec. 07) and personally I would not recommend living on campus. ECA is the complex closest to the Law school and is particularly loud and overrun with undergrads (and I think its pretty expensive for what you get). My personal favorite area to live is the Garden and Merchant Districts where you can find pretty cheap homes for rent (especially with a roommate). The north part of campus is pretty sketchy and the south part where the large apartment complexes are pretty terrible and loud (I lived in Oakbrook and Brightside). There are tons of great places if you look on craigslist, the daily reveille, and the advocate (my bf is living in a 3 br house with a huge backyard for $1100). Also, you don't want to live too far away because traffic can be pretty miserable early in the morning and at 5pm.

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:22 pm

ECA is the complex closest to the Law school and is particularly loud and overrun with undergrads (and I think its pretty expensive for what you get)
ECA is loud?

Either you have super sensitive ears, I have super unsensitive ears, or we lived in two different ECAs.

Yeah, there are parties occasionally, and yeah, someone will slam a door occasionally but uh...that happens everywhere.

Maybe it's because I live on the 3rd floor?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

emv

New

Post by emv » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:38 pm

Objection wrote:
ECA is the complex closest to the Law school and is particularly loud and overrun with undergrads (and I think its pretty expensive for what you get)
ECA is loud?

Either you have super sensitive ears, I have super unsensitive ears, or we lived in two different ECAs.

Yeah, there are parties occasionally, and yeah, someone will slam a door occasionally but uh...that happens everywhere.

Maybe it's because I live on the 3rd floor?

I'm probably uber-sensitive and I lived on the first floor with super rowdy neighbors who used to sneak a dog into their apt. All I'm saying is that, in my experience, living in the garden district was my personal favorite. To each his own...

MLong

New

Post by MLong » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:41 pm

Congrats LSU 2012! We've made it up in the ranks from #88 to #75!!

Let's see if this fine class can't move it up a bit more!!!

GaGirl09

New

Post by GaGirl09 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm

I'll be starting at LSU in the fall, too! I'm 22 and from Georgia. Looks like there's a pretty substantial pack of us making our way down there.

gittar03

New

Post by gittar03 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:46 pm

What is everyone doing for the summer? I'm tempted to find classroom books and start reading them.. though I probably won't really understand it... that or play a lot of Rockband

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MLong

New

Post by MLong » Fri May 01, 2009 10:14 am

Dude - don't make us all look like slackers. Play Rockband.

I'll be working at the firm. We are gearing up for a med-mal trial, so that will keep me busy. Fun stuff.

gittar03

New

Post by gittar03 » Fri May 01, 2009 11:10 am

MLong wrote:Dude - don't make us all look like slackers. Play Rockband.

I'll be working at the firm. We are gearing up for a med-mal trial, so that will keep me busy. Fun stuff.

I took an early leave from my firm to spend some time with my family back in Michigan (where I am now.) I forgot how little there is to do around here... I've been contemplating getting a job as a doughmaker for the bagel shop down the street, but rocking out has taken precedence. Probably best to get it out of my system before law school :)

MLong

New

Post by MLong » Thu May 07, 2009 5:39 pm

Just got an e-mail from Beth Loup, the Interim Director of Admissions, checking up on me. She's so nice! Pretty personable staff they have there. Nice.

Doughmaker - hmmm.... It's always good to have skills in the kitchen.

Enjoy your time in Michigan.

thefossilcrew

New

Post by thefossilcrew » Wed May 13, 2009 7:36 pm

LSU 2012 here. Congrats to everyone heading to Baton Rouge.

I'm looking for a roommate or 2 or 3. I'm 26/m - been doing the corporate thing since undergrad.

Send me an email if you want to talk more:

tsv4 at uga dot edu

EDIT: haha I typed 24, then I realized I am 26.
Last edited by thefossilcrew on Thu May 14, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gittar03

New

Post by gittar03 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:48 pm

thefossilcrew wrote:LSU 2012 here. Congrats to everyone heading to Baton Rouge.

I'm looking for a roommate or 2 or 3. I'm 24/m - been doing the corporate thing since undergrad.

Send me an email if you want to talk more:

tsv4 at uga dot edu
Good to hear from ya. If I had known ahead of time you were looking for a roomie, I would've kept my decision open.. if you need any help re: housing, I've looked at a few places so I can try to give my input.

thefossilcrew

New

Post by thefossilcrew » Thu May 14, 2009 4:27 pm

I've been emailing a couple of people from lawschoolnumbers (whats up UGAVII) - trying to find some good roommates.

I'm in ATL btw.

gittar - where all have you looked? Anything in walk/bike distance that isn't too pricey? I'm looking for a spacious house to split with a few guys.

MLong

New

Post by MLong » Fri May 15, 2009 12:17 pm

Did y'all get the e-mail from Beth Loup a few weeks ago with the e-mail addy of a law ambassador who can help with housing? If not, I can send to you.

I'm waiting until mid July to secure something for August 1st, but I've seen lots of apartments and housing on craigslist.

thefossilcrew

New

Post by thefossilcrew » Fri May 15, 2009 1:00 pm

MLong wrote:Did y'all get the e-mail from Beth Loup a few weeks ago with the e-mail addy of a law ambassador who can help with housing? If not, I can send to you.

Yeah I got that email - and then emailed LaToya... still waiting on a reply.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MLong

New

Post by MLong » Fri May 15, 2009 3:07 pm

Uh oh. That's not good. She's probably studying her a** off for finals or else didn't know Mrs. Loup was giving out that addy and is wondering why she is so popular all of a sudden. ;)

thefossilcrew

New

Post by thefossilcrew » Tue May 19, 2009 8:59 am

MLong wrote:Uh oh. That's not good. She's probably studying her a** off for finals or else didn't know Mrs. Loup was giving out that addy and is wondering why she is so popular all of a sudden. ;)
haha, probably.

where are the rest of the 1Ls who need roommates??

MLong

New

Post by MLong » Tue May 19, 2009 3:19 pm

This board is awfully quiet for LSU 1L's. I know there's more than just you and Gittar and I because the Chancellor's home was FULL of us at the March reception.

I've been looking around on craigslist.com and there seem to be a good deal of apartments there for rent. I'll be looking to put a deposit in July. If you guys come across any places you would definitely stay AWAY from, please let me know so I can steer clear.

Good luck with the roomie search.

thefossilcrew

New

Post by thefossilcrew » Thu May 21, 2009 8:49 am

I've done a little research on housing close to campus. Everyone says that south campus is your best bet for something quiet & nice.

I'm doing some extensive pre-visit housing searching online this weekend. I'll post any good finds to this thread.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”