Florida State University Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Lily

New

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Post by Lily » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:53 am

I started making an e-mail list so we could talk Finnegan's meetup there. I only have a few of the listed folks, though. Probably best to continue discussing here, anyway. :)

ShadowRabbit

New

Post by ShadowRabbit » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:42 pm

One week till orientation.

Eek.

lrw05d

New

Post by lrw05d » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:31 pm

fischgat wrote:
you're right that I should have resisted the temptation to say something (I was kidding btw), but honestly, what are you doing on this thread anyway?
Honestly, I came on here because the UF Class of '12 page is lame. There are only three people on it. I wanted some TLS entertainment, so I hopped on the FSU page to stir it up.

I have a rooted respect/fear for FSU that stems from a childhood of watching the 'Noles beat down the Gators. It's more than just a football rivalry. FSU and UF have been sworn rivals for decades, so I just wanted to let the rivalry continue with my totally untrue comments about the inferiority of everything FSU.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I guess people just don't enjoy friendly in-state rivalries anymore. I respect your college very much, and deep down I fear that FSU Law will surpass UF Law in the near future. As a life-long Gator fan, losing to FSU is something I have trouble accepting.

Honestly, I came on here to post comments like "UF > FSU" to make myself feel better about the eventual drop that UF Law will experience in the rankings. I dream of a utopia where FSU is always behind UF (except literally).

I wish everyone a successful and enjoyable law school experience, and I look forward to continuing our never ending rivalry.
I think we all hope that for our respective schools. You have actually been a pretty mature poster and cool person (especially for a gator... :wink: ) and IMO, you're welcome on our board whenever you'd like. Honestly, I think (and hope) the rivalry will be a bit more competitive once Tebow leaves (as much as I hate him, he's really freaking good and it kills us). Good luck!

lrw05d

New

Post by lrw05d » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:32 pm

ShadowRabbit wrote:One week till orientation.

Eek.
Oh sweet Jesus.

kevinm

New

Post by kevinm » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:53 pm

fischgat wrote:
you're right that I should have resisted the temptation to say something (I was kidding btw), but honestly, what are you doing on this thread anyway?
Honestly, I came on here because the UF Class of '12 page is lame. There are only three people on it. I wanted some TLS entertainment, so I hopped on the FSU page to stir it up.

I have a rooted respect/fear for FSU that stems from a childhood of watching the 'Noles beat down the Gators. It's more than just a football rivalry. FSU and UF have been sworn rivals for decades, so I just wanted to let the rivalry continue with my totally untrue comments about the inferiority of everything FSU.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I guess people just don't enjoy friendly in-state rivalries anymore. I respect your college very much, and deep down I fear that FSU Law will surpass UF Law in the near future. As a life-long Gator fan, losing to FSU is something I have trouble accepting.

Honestly, I came on here to post comments like "UF > FSU" to make myself feel better about the eventual drop that UF Law will experience in the rankings. I dream of a utopia where FSU is always behind UF (except literally).

I wish everyone a successful and enjoyable law school experience, and I look forward to continuing our never ending rivalry.
That's cool. I dream of a utopia where there's no war, disease or famine, with everyone on earth not just acting but genuinely being best friends with everyone else and together they all run to the streets smiling and singing songs like it's all some giant musical. But to each his own.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ame05d

New

Post by ame05d » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:45 pm

uuggghh I don't want to read this book!! lol i've read like 30 pages in three days b/c I will do anything to distract myself. Is it just me, or does it read as if it's written for children? This may have something to do w/ the fact that I haven't gotten past the second chapter which is all review stuff.

fischgat

New

Post by fischgat » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:06 pm

That's cool. I dream of a utopia where there's no war, disease or famine, with everyone on earth not just acting but genuinely being best friends with everyone else and together they all run to the streets smiling and singing songs like it's all some giant musical. But to each his own.
I just lol'd.

Don't you hate it when people type "lol" when you know damn well they didn't really laugh out loud? This isn't one of those occasions. I actually laughed out loud when I read that. I refuse to use "lol" (or its ostentatious cousin "lmfao") unless i have literally laughed out loud (or laughed my f*cking ass off).

Your utopia sounded appealing until I read that everyone will be running in the streets singing. This behavior will cause countless transportation problems, not to mention noise pollution. I would have to quietly defect from your utopia and start my own grassroots paradise where Bush is President again...forever.

kevinm

New

Post by kevinm » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:19 pm

ame05d wrote:uuggghh I don't want to read this book!! lol i've read like 30 pages in three days b/c I will do anything to distract myself. Is it just me, or does it read as if it's written for children? This may have something to do w/ the fact that I haven't gotten past the second chapter which is all review stuff.
I'm going to speed read it the day before orientation, I think. At least then it'll be committed to short-term memory and more likely to be forgotten...I'm not a big fan of those "let's hold hands and prepare for law school!" books...I feel like a lot of it is common sense.

ughhh just a few more days till orientation!!

fischgat

New

Post by fischgat » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:30 pm

kevinm wrote:
ame05d wrote:uuggghh I don't want to read this book!! lol i've read like 30 pages in three days b/c I will do anything to distract myself. Is it just me, or does it read as if it's written for children? This may have something to do w/ the fact that I haven't gotten past the second chapter which is all review stuff.
I'm going to speed read it the day before orientation, I think. At least then it'll be committed to short-term memory and more likely to be forgotten...I'm not a big fan of those "let's hold hands and prepare for law school!" books...I feel like a lot of it is common sense.

Can you actually speed read?

I bought a speed reading book over the summer and vowed to practice it everyday. I never made it past chapter 3. I just don't like following my fingers when I read. It's a shame because it would be soooo beneficial for law school. I'm kind of a slow reader, and now I'm a little nervous about how it will affect my studies.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ame05d

New

Post by ame05d » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:20 am

fischgat wrote:
kevinm wrote:

Can you actually speed read?

I bought a speed reading book over the summer and vowed to practice it everyday. I never made it past chapter 3. I just don't like following my fingers when I read. It's a shame because it would be soooo beneficial for law school. I'm kind of a slow reader, and now I'm a little nervous about how it will affect my studies.
that's funny b/c i've always loved to read and am always working on some book or another, but i feel like i read pretty slow too. at least i know my stepdad and i always share books and he FLIES through them compared to me! i vowed i would read the majority of that book tonight but have been on tls and facebook for about 2 hours now

kevinm

New

Post by kevinm » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:35 am

fischgat wrote: Can you actually speed read?

Well I mean, I'd be skimming the book. Unless you're some sort of savant, it's almost impossible to read a page in a second or two...instead, I use a couple weird techniques. I'll read a book three times: first time I read just the glossary and table of contents, next the first line of each paragraph, and then finally the whole book. It sort of sets up a mental road map in my mind of how the book is going to progress, and I find that I can usually just breeze through it way faster than if I were reading it for the first time.

ShadowRabbit

New

Post by ShadowRabbit » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:20 pm

Children?! Are you serious? Im still trying to grasp my head around this "separation of powers" thing. Wtf does that even mean?!?!?!?

green918

New

Post by green918 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:24 pm

What are people planning on doing about the "recommended" books? Do they really mean "I'm going to say this is recommended but really I expect you to have it?"

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jackrabbitjones

New

Post by jackrabbitjones » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:18 pm

Ugh. I haven't gotten the book yet. I ordered it before the 6th like they said, and it's been 3-5 business days. I'm moving tomorrow and like an idiot I didn't send it to my Tallahassee address. Fml.

ame05d

New

Post by ame05d » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:22 pm

green918 wrote:What are people planning on doing about the "recommended" books? Do they really mean "I'm going to say this is recommended but really I expect you to have it?"
I'm sure this doesn't apply universally, but I have Craig for civ pro and she has three required books and then has the glannons e&e as the recommended book. It says this on her syllabus:

STUDY AIDS

NOTE: This section is NOT a sneaky way of indicating that I think you need these books.  ON THE CONTRARY: YOU CAN DO WELL IN THIS COURSE WITH JUST THE REQUIRED MATERIALS, AND I ACTUALLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU STICK WITH THOSE, especially given the study materials in A Student’s Guide and the study problems available in Problems.

HOWEVER, I have given students this same piece of advice every year of the ten years that I have been teaching law, and I know that some of you will still feel compelled to buy additional study aids.  IF you feel that you MUST buy study aids, these two are the best and the least likely to lead you astray.

1.​Joseph W. Glannon, Examples & Explanations: Civil Procedure (Aspen: 6th Ed. 2008).  Professor Glannon purportedly has put his children through college off the royalties from this book.  There’s a reason for that: it’s GOOD.  (Professor Craig’s unsolicited advice: The Examples & Explanations series is one of the best study aid series out there, and I recommend it pretty much across the board.)

2.​Gene R. Shreve & Peter Raven-Hansen, Understanding Civil Procedure (LexisNexis: 3rd Ed. 2002).  This is a mini-treatise (paperback) – no problems to test yourself with.  It also supplies more detail than you actually need to know for this course.  On the other hand, it will continue to be valuable to you in practice, long after other study guides have become too basic.

meh

New

Post by meh » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:28 am

green918 wrote:What are people planning on doing about the "recommended" books? Do they really mean "I'm going to say this is recommended but really I expect you to have it?"
I only bought the required books for now. If I feel like I need them once I get settled in, I'll buy the recommended books.

gottaloveJAG

New

Post by gottaloveJAG » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:45 pm

I went ahead and bought the recommended as well as the required books. I figure if the professor recommends it, it should help me understand the material better and hopefully get better grades as a result.
That being said, I don't think any of my professors have little notes about it like I saw the one Professor Craig did (as posted on here).

Does anyone know if we'll need to bring our laptops to the orientation events? I'm guessing no, but I just wanted to make sure since they're teaching us "What Every Law Student Really Needs to Know" in a classroom setting...

Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ShadowRabbit

New

Post by ShadowRabbit » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:37 pm

gottaloveJAG wrote: Does anyone know if we'll need to bring our laptops to the orientation events? I'm guessing no, but I just wanted to make sure since they're teaching us "What Every Law Student Really Needs to Know" in a classroom setting...

Thanks!
From the orientation email:

You should plan to have your laptop at orientation. During orientation you will receive instructions to configure
your laptop to our wireless network. Our Technology Department will be available on Friday, August 21 and
throughout the first week of school to assist students who experience difficulty accessing our network. Prior to
orientation, please follow these three steps below which will assist you in beginning the configuration process.

So im guessing yes, you should bring it, it probably wouldn't be the end of the world if you didn't however.
Last edited by ShadowRabbit on Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TKM

New

Post by TKM » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:42 pm

lrw05d wrote:Ok, so by majority vote the bar night is going to be Sunday the 16th at Finnegan's Wake (on the corner of Thomasville and 5th in the shopping center). Anyone have a preference as to the time? Here's a list of people who said they're attending, the more the merrier, Ill add your name to the list! :)

lrw05d
kevinm
TKM
Lily
meh
ame05d
jackrabbitjones
Been to Finnegan's twice since I've been in Tallahassee and I'll be there again on the 16th! Oh and my name is Taylor McKnight if anyone wants to facebook add, thought I would throw that out there.

green918

New

Post by green918 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:07 pm

TKM wrote:
lrw05d wrote:Ok, so by majority vote the bar night is going to be Sunday the 16th at Finnegan's Wake (on the corner of Thomasville and 5th in the shopping center). Anyone have a preference as to the time? Here's a list of people who said they're attending, the more the merrier, Ill add your name to the list! :)

lrw05d
kevinm
TKM
Lily
meh
ame05d
jackrabbitjones
Been to Finnegan's twice since I've been in Tallahassee and I'll be there again on the 16th! Oh and my name is Taylor McKnight if anyone wants to facebook add, thought I would throw that out there.
Sounds good! I have no time preference. Facebook requests are good for me too. (My name's whitney green). It might help us recognize eachother.

ame05d

New

Post by ame05d » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:22 pm

green918 wrote:
TKM wrote:

lrw05d
kevinm
TKM
Lily
meh
ame05d
jackrabbitjones
Sounds good! I have no time preference. Facebook requests are good for me too. (My name's whitney green). It might help us recognize eachother.
added! -michelle wein

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lrw05d

New

Post by lrw05d » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:26 pm

ame05d wrote:
green918 wrote:
TKM wrote:

lrw05d
kevinm
TKM
Lily
meh
ame05d
jackrabbitjones
added! -michelle wein
whoa..i think we went through sorority recruitment together way back when

ame05d

New

Post by ame05d » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:46 pm

i think so too! i facebook searched your lrw05d a while ago and saw that we were friends! our mutual friends list of girls whose last names all start with "w" confirmed it lol

meh

New

Post by meh » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:37 am

Last edited by meh on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meh

New

Post by meh » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:39 am

What time did we end up going with?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”