Florida State University Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
meh

New

Re: Florida State University Class of 2012

Post by meh » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:38 pm

Lily wrote:
FacePalm wrote:+1 Polos on Park
I haven't lived there since UG in 2001, but there were only a handful of UGs and we were all in the far back. Mostly grad students and congresspeople when it was in session. Definitely on the high end of housing in tally, but the difference between $500+ and $700+ in that town is ghetto to glamorous. Not a bad commute to campus (10-15 minutes and traffic is a non-issue), but then nothing really is in Tallahassee.

TKM, I think Polos allow pets.

There are some real shit holes in Tally. I wouldn't commit under and circumstances until I actually saw something in person.
I have heard that a lot of law school students live in Polos on Park. Also, the dude who gave me my campus tour said that's where he lives. I haven't been there, but from the comments on this board alone it certainly does seem like a place you can assume is decent.
Another good place to check out is Jackson Square. It's in a very nice area off of Hermitage Blvd. In terms of price and quality I would say it's very similar to Polos on Park, but (imo) it's in a better neighborhood. It's mostly grad students, young professionals, and young families. I've lived here since January and would say all of the residents are very considerate of each other.

Does anyone know how/when we register for 1L classes?

TKM

New

Post by TKM » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:41 pm

meh wrote:

Does anyone know how/when we register for 1L classes?
I'm pretty sure they pick your classes for you the first year.

Lily

New

Post by Lily » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:43 pm

meh wrote:Does anyone know how/when we register for 1L classes?
I assume we'll be notified at some point before the end of orientation as to which section we're in and when classes meet. IDK. I thought I could go get my books early, but it appears that different sections have different books, so we won't know what books to buy until we know our section.

meh

New

Post by meh » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:50 pm

TKM wrote:I'm pretty sure they pick your classes for you the first year.
Lily wrote:I assume we'll be notified at some point before the end of orientation as to which section we're in and when classes meet. IDK. I thought I could go get my books early, but it appears that different sections have different books, so we won't know what books to buy until we know our section.
Oh wow. I knew the 1L curriculum was set, but I figured we'd at least be able to choose what section we'd like for each class.

Mortalnato

New

Post by Mortalnato » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:05 pm

meh wrote:
Lily wrote:I assume we'll be notified at some point before the end of orientation as to which section we're in and when classes meet. IDK. I thought I could go get my books early, but it appears that different sections have different books, so we won't know what books to buy until we know our section.
Oh wow. I knew the 1L curriculum was set, but I figured we'd at least be able to choose what section we'd like for each class.
FWIW.... a person on the facebook group posted this quote

"The Registrar will create the schedules the first week in August and you will be able to access them through your Blackboard account. At that time you will know which textbooks to purchase and you will be able to access first week assignments as well." - Jennifer Kessinger, Director of Admissions and Records, from an email question

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

meh

New

Post by meh » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:19 pm

Mortalnato wrote:
meh wrote:
FWIW.... a person on the facebook group posted this quote

"The Registrar will create the schedules the first week in August and you will be able to access them through your Blackboard account. At that time you will know which textbooks to purchase and you will be able to access first week assignments as well." - Jennifer Kessinger, Director of Admissions and Records, from an email question
Thanks.

ShadowRabbit

New

Post by ShadowRabbit » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:59 am

A month to go. Everyone ready? Psyched? Trying to figure out why a book on how to prepare for law school (Getting to Maybe) has a lot of "As you know from US Code 101c...."?

Mortalnato

New

Post by Mortalnato » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:31 pm

ShadowRabbit wrote:A month to go. Everyone ready? Psyched? Trying to figure out why a book on how to prepare for law school (Getting to Maybe) has a lot of "As you know from US Code 101c...."?
Can't wait :D When is everyone moving to Tally? I'll be there August, 15th.

By the way, it seems that they finally updated the tuition on the website. Looks like $14,239.60 for Florida residents and $31,210.50 for non-residents.

green918

New

Post by green918 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:02 pm

Mortalnato wrote:
ShadowRabbit wrote:A month to go. Everyone ready? Psyched? Trying to figure out why a book on how to prepare for law school (Getting to Maybe) has a lot of "As you know from US Code 101c...."?

By the way, it seems that they finally updated the tuition on the website. Looks like $14,239.60 for Florida residents and $31,210.50 for non-residents.
August 1st. Anyone else heading there early?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

unfgolfer14

New

Post by unfgolfer14 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:20 pm

green918 wrote:
Mortalnato wrote:

Im moving my stuff to tally august 4th, then coming back to jacsksonville to relax before orientation starts. I really have nothing to do, so Ill probably really move into my apartment the 15th or the 16th so I can unpack and get thing in order. I am really excited to get the ball rolling on this and to start school. Anyone else?

meh

New

Post by meh » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:22 am

Mortalnato wrote:

I'm here now. If anyone is in town and wants to have drinks some time, let me know. I'm always willing to hit up Chez Pierre, Finnegans, or the Leon Pub.

TKM

New

Post by TKM » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:52 am

green918 wrote:
Mortalnato wrote:

August 1st also. I can't wait to get in town. We need to get some sort of bar get together set up. Maybe through facebook.

ame05d

New

Post by ame05d » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:15 pm

I'm excited, but nervous. Friday I had to print something on campus so I went to the law school library to do it just for fun.... lol I enjoyed pretending like a student. I'm kind of annoyed they just now told us there is a $2000 bump in tuition as I'm sure the amount of federal loans they're offering me now won't change with the new tuition rate. How are you guys financing this? I've had a kind of hard time figuring it out on my own (fsu fin aid office has been 100% unhelpful/useless), but I guess I'm taking out the stafford loans they offered me then covering my cost of living expenses with grad plus loans.

p.s. I am in Tally and am down to go out any night.... I will be at mellow mushroom for trivia tonight if anyone wants to come! $1 wells/pbrs

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

green918

New

Post by green918 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:44 pm

ame05d wrote:I'm excited, but nervous. Friday I had to print something on campus so I went to the law school library to do it just for fun.... lol I enjoyed pretending like a student. I'm kind of annoyed they just now told us there is a $2000 bump in tuition as I'm sure the amount of federal loans they're offering me now won't change with the new tuition rate. How are you guys financing this? I've had a kind of hard time figuring it out on my own (fsu fin aid office has been 100% unhelpful/useless), but I guess I'm taking out the stafford loans they offered me then covering my cost of living expenses with grad plus loans.

p.s. I am in Tally and am down to go out any night.... I will be at mellow mushroom for trivia tonight if anyone wants to come! $1 wells/pbrs
I'm not sure if it was on the law school website or not, but earlier in the summer on the main financial aid website the "tentative" tuition rate was listed as 14,000. In the estimated cost of attendance breakdown, they decreased the amount of money allocated to purchase a computer from what it was last year. So the eca is still technically the same this year as it was last year so unfortunately, that won't help any of us as far as loan limits.

lrw05d

New

Post by lrw05d » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:49 pm

meh wrote:
Mortalnato wrote:

I'm here now. If anyone is in town and wants to have drinks some time, let me know. I'm always willing to hit up Chez Pierre, Finnegans, or the Leon Pub.
Leon Pub FTW! we should do an FSU TLS night there the weekend before orientation or something.

kevinm

New

Post by kevinm » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:08 pm

lrw05d wrote: Leon Pub FTW! we should do an FSU TLS night there the weekend before orientation or something.
That would be totally awesome! I should be down there oh, in three weeks? I don't really know yet...I still have to find a place to live. Hopefully, this procrastination thing won't follow me into law school.

Lily

New

Post by Lily » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:30 am

I noticed a "for rent" sign on a place with an excellent location. Not sure about the cost or anything, but it's located near the the intersection of W Bloxham and St. Francis Streets. This is a couple of blocks from the law school and is walking distance to three bars, one coffee shop, and some other cool stuff. PM me if you want to call or something. I didn't write down the telephone number, but I can run by there at lunch (it's right by my work) or after work and jot it down. Place appears to have a driveway, which is good. No idea what it looks like inside, but, like I said, the location is great and it's a house.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TKM

New

Post by TKM » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:43 am

lrw05d wrote: Leon Pub FTW! we should do an FSU TLS night there the weekend before orientation or something.

Sounds like a good plan to me!

Lily

New

Post by Lily » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:45 am

Leon Pub is pretty small. Just sayin'

TKM

New

Post by TKM » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:44 am

I've heard bullwinkles and potbellies are pretty fun.

lrw05d

New

Post by lrw05d » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:37 pm

TKM wrote:I've heard bullwinkles and potbellies are pretty fun.
boo pots, yay bulls. pots is okay if its rented out for a private function, but on any given night it is super frat-tastic. i was in a sorority and still avoided that place like the plague except for friday afternoon happy hour. bulls is awesome though, just crowded.

leon pub is pretty small, but they actually just put an addition on and literally doubled their space. i imagine it wont be a super large group anyway. theres always finnegans wake, also a win in my book. im open to whatever! :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lily

New

Post by Lily » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:42 pm

lrw05d wrote:
TKM wrote:I've heard bullwinkles and potbellies are pretty fun.
boo pots, yay bulls. pots is okay if its rented out for a private function, but on any given night it is super frat-tastic. i was in a sorority and still avoided that place like the plague except for friday afternoon happy hour. bulls is awesome though, just crowded.

leon pub is pretty small, but they actually just put an addition on and literally doubled their space. i imagine it wont be a super large group anyway. theres always finnegans wake, also a win in my book. im open to whatever! :)
I dig Finnegan's. *nod*

jcohen2615

New

Post by jcohen2615 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:19 am

Count me in for pre-orientation drinks!!! I'm in town starting August 7th. See you all in a few weeks.

lrw05d

New

Post by lrw05d » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:32 am

as far as the bar night, i wont be in town till the saturday or sunday before orientation (working, blah), how is that weekend for everyone? sunday is better for me, but ill go with the needs of the group. :)

kevinm

New

Post by kevinm » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:56 am

I just read the orientation schedule that was sent, and I'm starting to feel like this is undergraduate orientation again! I miss those days... I'm so surprised that there are no awkward ice-breakers or anything listed! (maybe that was just my school..)

I'll be in Tallahassee on the 7th or so to sign a lease (hopefully!) and then moving in on the 10th or 11th, so anytime durign that weekend before orientation would be really cool!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”