Duke Law Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
pumpkincrepes

New

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Post by pumpkincrepes » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:00 am

In case anyone else was holding their breath, I called for a status update on section assignments. The registrar said they won't be available until next week. Maybe they know our days to safely buy on amazon are cutting short and are holding out to force us into the bookstore.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:35 am

pumpkincrepes wrote:In case anyone else was holding their breath, I called for a status update on section assignments. The registrar said they won't be available until next week. Maybe they know our days to safely buy on amazon are cutting short and are holding out to force us into the bookstore.
not to mention no sales tax on books this weekend. thanks :evil:

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:08 am

I just moved in to Pinnacle Ridge and love my new apartment. Durham seems like a pretty nice place too, but I haven't done a lot of exploring.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had tried to set up their Time Warner internet with the Duke discount and if they had any luck with it. I submitted the form online a week ago and haven't heard anything back.

Oh BTW, you can definitely count me in for a meet up before orientation some time.

frissle

New

Post by frissle » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:42 pm

pumpkincrepes wrote:In case anyone else was holding their breath, I called for a status update on section assignments. The registrar said they won't be available until next week. Maybe they know our days to safely buy on amazon are cutting short and are holding out to force us into the bookstore.
Thanks for calling b/c I have been checking ACES. Ah the suspense is killing me, especially since the class schedules are already released

custom_concern

New

Post by custom_concern » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:47 pm

chadstew55 wrote:I just moved in to Pinnacle Ridge and love my new apartment. Durham seems like a pretty nice place too, but I haven't done a lot of exploring.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had tried to set up their Time Warner internet with the Duke discount and if they had any luck with it. I submitted the form online a week ago and haven't heard anything back.

Oh BTW, you can definitely count me in for a meet up before orientation some time.
Not that you asked for such suggestions, but if you want to celebrate your arrival with a nice dinner, you should go to Magnolia Grill on 9th street. It's the best restaurant in the entire south, and it's just a couple minutes away from you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:24 pm

chadstew55 wrote:I just moved in to Pinnacle Ridge and love my new apartment. Durham seems like a pretty nice place too, but I haven't done a lot of exploring.

Same here. Pinnacle Ridge is great. Where is the form for this Duke discount though? I'm definitely interested in seeing that.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:41 pm

wiseowl wrote:
If you really want to get the tax break, you could always just buy as many of the books as you can afford, then just return the ones you are not going to use. Most campus bookstores will let you return for full price within the first week of class.

custom_concern

New

Post by custom_concern » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:47 pm

Bosque wrote:
wiseowl wrote:
If you really want to get the tax break, you could always just buy as many of the books as you can afford, then just return the ones you are not going to use. Most campus bookstores will let you return for full price within the first week of class.
And Duke's bookstore does for sure.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:51 pm

meh, too bad i'm broke. until my first-time homebuyers credit and my loans process it's pretty tough.

i'll just wait and get them at half.com. already got all the LRW books there

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

frissle

New

Post by frissle » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:49 pm

I know this has been discussed before, but did we ever figure out the verdict on the Mac compatibility? I got a new MacBook in december and am wondering if I need to go out and buy windows like the email we got a few weeks ago suggests

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:12 pm

frissle wrote:I know this has been discussed before, but did we ever figure out the verdict on the Mac compatibility? I got a new MacBook in december and am wondering if I need to go out and buy windows like the email we got a few weeks ago suggests
+1

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:48 pm

pumpkincrepes wrote: Same here. Pinnacle Ridge is great. Where is the form for this Duke discount though? I'm definitely interested in seeing that.
http://www.oit.duke.edu/net-security/ne ... w_enhanced
Maybe that is just for faculty and staff, but the page that linked me to that site said this:
Duke University has contracted with Time Warner to provide discounted broadband service from Road Runner and with Intrex to provide discounted DSL service from Verizon and AT&T/Bellsouth. Please visit the remote access page provided by Duke OIT to learn more about broadband options and to subscribe to one of these services.
Here is the link: http://www.law.duke.edu/computing/offcampus

Maybe I'll give it another try soon.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:42 am

frissle wrote:I know this has been discussed before, but did we ever figure out the verdict on the Mac compatibility? I got a new MacBook in december and am wondering if I need to go out and buy windows like the email we got a few weeks ago suggests
I don't really feel like going and finding the relevant post to quote, but yes Duke is. The testing software Duke uses can be put on a Mac, and the contracts professor who uses a CD with an exe file on it aint teaching the class in the fall (I think). So you should be set.

If not, Windows 7 is in open trial beta until May or so of next year. Just grab a copy of that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

frissle

New

Post by frissle » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:41 am

Bosque wrote:
I don't really feel like going and finding the relevant post to quote, but yes Duke is. The testing software Duke uses can be put on a Mac, and the contracts professor who uses a CD with an exe file on it aint teaching the class in the fall (I think). So you should be set.

If not, Windows 7 is in open trial beta until May or so of next year. Just grab a copy of that.
Thanks bosque, I thought I remember reading that I would be fine, but I wanted to be sure. I'll check when I get there but it looks promising.

Pogopop

New

Post by Pogopop » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:06 am

I'm pretty sure that the deals on cable and internet are just for students that live in the dorms. I spent a long time on the tech website when I was making my budget trying to figure out if I could get that discount and eventually came to the conclusion that I can't, but if you find a way, please do let me know!

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:12 am

frissle wrote:
Bosque wrote:

Thanks bosque, I thought I remember reading that I would be fine, but I wanted to be sure. I'll check when I get there but it looks promising.
I know we came to this conclusion as well, but I started doing computer configuration yesterday and I'm not sure that was really the right conclusion. I'm going to wait a little bit, but it seems like we need Novell Client and some other windows programs to be able to access certain information on the Duke server. I'm not entirely confident in my conclusion, but this seems like the case and the tech people have been pretty direct about needing compatibility. I would have to buy Leopard before I could install bootcamp and be at the compatibility level they want, so I'm not going to take this step yet, but I'm still not completely convinced.

creditedresponse

New

Post by creditedresponse » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:58 pm

Anyone still up for something tonight? I'm going to suggest somewhere downtown, mostly so I don't have to drive.

Here are some options:

Down Under Pub
Bull McCabe's
James Joyce
The Pinhook
The Federal
Alivia's
Devine's (sports bar)

I'm sure I'm leaving off a few, but I'd love to get a bunch of us together tonight. Does 10-ish work for everyone?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

aer

New

Post by aer » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:48 pm

creditedresponse wrote:Anyone still up for something tonight? I'm going to suggest somewhere downtown, mostly so I don't have to drive.

Here are some options:

Down Under Pub
Bull McCabe's
James Joyce
The Pinhook
The Federal
Alivia's
Devine's (sports bar)

I'm sure I'm leaving off a few, but I'd love to get a bunch of us together tonight. Does 10-ish work for everyone?

That sounds good.

creditedresponse

New

Post by creditedresponse » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:29 pm

Ok, so it looks like the plan for tonight is 10pm at the Federal. (914 W. Main St., Durham)

I've posted it on Facebook, too: http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=3 ... topic=9471

Hope to see y'all there!

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:12 am

<-------buying Durham Bulls jersey immediately

syrahfan

New

Post by syrahfan » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:15 pm

Classes are up on ACES.

I'm in Section 3.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BarrelState

New

Post by BarrelState » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:20 pm

Hey Syrah,

How can you tell what section you are in? My schedule seemed to show courses ending in 03, 04, 06 and 01.

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:38 pm

BarrelState wrote:Hey Syrah,

How can you tell what section you are in? My schedule seemed to show courses ending in 03, 04, 06 and 01.
http://www.law.duke.edu/curriculum/schedulefall09
Just match your schedule to a section on that schedule. That is what I did.

I'm section 3, and it looks like we only have 35 people in my section, so I guess they didn't over-enroll too bad.

syrahfan

New

Post by syrahfan » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:42 pm

^ same thing I did

Civ Pro .02
Con Law .01
Contracts .03

I had a LARW class earlier, and now it's not listed. I guess they weren't fully done with the schedules.

pumpkincrepes

New

Post by pumpkincrepes » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:22 pm

section 6. boo. my least favorite possible schedule. but clearly the most awesome students :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”