Duke Law Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Back2School

New

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Post by Back2School » Wed May 06, 2009 5:19 pm

Pogopop wrote:It looks like everything was down for a little bit and it's back up now. I haven't received anything other than the alias email in my inbox. If you haven't played around on the site yet though, I would start looking at your immunization forms. For fall starters, they're due on June 30th -- and you need all of your vaccination records since birth.
Thanks, good to know!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed May 06, 2009 10:43 pm

I am getting some conflicting info on this, so I thought I would poll you guys. I am financing my law education split roughly in thirds, between scholarship, stafford loans, and supplemental loans (access group and the like). If I am going to get a place where the rent is higher than the amount the Duke budget allocates, can I take out more money from the supplemental loans than was originally budgeted to me by Duke? If yes great, if not, I think I can still cover the difference (since the food and miscellaneous parts of the budget are inflated from where they need to be.). It would just be great to know what I am going to need to do, one way or the other.

aer

New

Post by aer » Thu May 07, 2009 1:05 am

Bosque wrote:I am getting some conflicting info on this, so I thought I would poll you guys. I am financing my law education split roughly in thirds, between scholarship, stafford loans, and supplemental loans (access group and the like). If I am going to get a place where the rent is higher than the amount the Duke budget allocates, can I take out more money from the supplemental loans than was originally budgeted to me by Duke? If yes great, if not, I think I can still cover the difference (since the food and miscellaneous parts of the budget are inflated from where they need to be.). It would just be great to know what I am going to need to do, one way or the other.
Duke has to approve the amount of student loans you take out. It is unlikely that they will raise your amount unless you have kids or something like that.

zicam

New

Post by zicam » Thu May 07, 2009 12:31 pm

Hey guys,
I will be joining all of you this fall at Duke, and would like to ask a question. Is it too late to go to North Carolina and choose which apartment complex I would like to live in in late May? I went on admitted students weekend and have an idea of where I would like to live, but I have not finalized anything, and I will not do so until I go back to NC. What do you guys think? Will I still have an array of choices if I wait until late May?

Thanks,
GO DUKE

Back2School

New

Post by Back2School » Thu May 07, 2009 12:43 pm

zicam wrote:Hey guys,
I will be joining all of you this fall at Duke, and would like to ask a question. Is it too late to go to North Carolina and choose which apartment complex I would like to live in in late May? I went on admitted students weekend and have an idea of where I would like to live, but I have not finalized anything, and I will not do so until I go back to NC. What do you guys think? Will I still have an array of choices if I wait until late May?

Thanks,
GO DUKE
Glad to hear you'll be coming to Duke! To be honest, I think I was probably a bit pre-mature in my early May visit. All complexes basically require a 60-day notice from their current residents, so if you're not planning to move in till mid-August when orientation starts, late May is probably the ideal time to look, and even then they may not know exactly which units they'll have available. Virtually all complexes have what they call "wait lists" but it's not like a law school admission WL, in that everyone on a wait list will get a unit. However, those higher up on the wait list will get preference on things such as which floor of the complex they want to live on, what view they like etc. Long story short, I think if you visit in late May you'll be fine. Good luck with your search!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Thu May 07, 2009 12:56 pm

I got my seat deposit confirmation email on on April 21, and I haven't heard anything about a Netid. Should I be getting worried?

irishlaw

New

Post by irishlaw » Thu May 07, 2009 1:01 pm

Chad, you worry too much ;)

What's the word from Harvard? Or are you pretty much set on Duke?

Pogopop

New

Post by Pogopop » Thu May 07, 2009 4:08 pm

You should have gotten something in the mail by now -- maybe they sent it to your permanent address (if you gave them more than one or are still in school, etc)?

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Thu May 07, 2009 4:41 pm

irishlaw wrote:Chad, you worry too much ;)

Oh, I'm definitely set on Duke. If I got off the waitlist, then I would definitely go to Harvard, though. It's really not all that realistic to think I will get in to Harvard, and I know I'd be happy at Duke, so I'm not going to get my hopes up or worry about it or anything.
Pogopop wrote:You should have gotten something in the mail by now -- maybe they sent it to your permanent address (if you gave them more than one or are still in school, etc)?
I got some big packet at my permanent address with stuff about immunizations and a CD or something, and it said welcome and all that, but my mom told me that it said that my netid would be mailed separately. My mom just told me what was in it. I haven't actually seen it. I will probably just wait until Monday, and if I don't have it before that time, I'll call them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

water

New

Post by water » Thu May 07, 2009 6:16 pm

I'll be joining everyone at Duke as well! Can't wait.

On the apartment question, I went down last week and was able to put a deposit down on a place to move in 2 weeks from now (summer starter), so I imagine waiting till the end of May definitely won't be an issue.

And for the NetID thing, I put in my deposit April 1 and still haven't heard anything through the mail. I just called OIT and they gave me everything I needed to get to my email, financial aid, etc. The number to call is in the packet you were saying your Mom has.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Thu May 07, 2009 10:33 pm

chadstew55 wrote:
irishlaw wrote:Chad, you worry too much ;)

Oh, I'm definitely set on Duke. If I got off the waitlist, then I would definitely go to Harvard, though. It's really not all that realistic to think I will get in to Harvard, and I know I'd be happy at Duke, so I'm not going to get my hopes up or worry about it or anything.
Pogopop wrote:You should have gotten something in the mail by now -- maybe they sent it to your permanent address (if you gave them more than one or are still in school, etc)?
I got some big packet at my permanent address with stuff about immunizations and a CD or something, and it said welcome and all that, but my mom told me that it said that my netid would be mailed separately. My mom just told me what was in it. I haven't actually seen it. I will probably just wait until Monday, and if I don't have it before that time, I'll call them.
I got the packet with the CD and immunizations at my current address. The NetID info came to my permanent address about a week later.

BarrelState

New

Post by BarrelState » Fri May 08, 2009 1:08 pm

Does anyone know if the 'NetID' is the same thing as the 'Duke Unique ID' called for on the immunization form?

aer

New

Post by aer » Fri May 08, 2009 2:22 pm

They are different. The unique idea is a bunch of numbers while the net ID has letters and is shorter. Mine is my initials plus some numbers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BarrelState

New

Post by BarrelState » Fri May 08, 2009 4:24 pm

Thanks aer! How did you find out what your Duke Unique ID is? Was it in the same letter as the NetID and I just missed it?

aer

New

Post by aer » Fri May 08, 2009 4:45 pm

I think it did, I can't find the letter right now to check though. It also shows up on the papers that they send out with your aid/loan breakdown that you are supposed to sign and mail in.

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Fri May 08, 2009 5:01 pm

aer wrote:I think it did, I can't find the letter right now to check though. It also shows up on the papers that they send out with your aid/loan breakdown that you are supposed to sign and mail in.
This is only summer starters, right? I still haven't heard anything definitive yet about loans. Other fall starters in the same boat? Anyone know when that stuff will go out to us?

aer

New

Post by aer » Fri May 08, 2009 5:09 pm

dresq wrote:
aer wrote:I think it did, I can't find the letter right now to check though. It also shows up on the papers that they send out with your aid/loan breakdown that you are supposed to sign and mail in.
This is only summer starters, right? I still haven't heard anything definitive yet about loans. Other fall starters in the same boat? Anyone know when that stuff will go out to us?
I'm a summer starter so you may be getting your forms later.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BarrelState

New

Post by BarrelState » Fri May 08, 2009 5:17 pm

I received a sample budget with my scholarship offer. The package also included some information to sign and mail back. It did not seem to contain much information about loans, though. I think we fall-starters will get another packet with this information.

sidgey

Bronze

Post by sidgey » Fri May 08, 2009 6:40 pm

Bosque wrote:
aholmes87 wrote:Nice post Bosque. That is a lot of good information there. And out of curiosity what kind of dog do you have?
Lab mix named Fargo. My family are puppy raisers for CCI, and he was initially supposed to be a companion dog. He got rejected after we turned him in because he was too mellow (I think), so we got him back. Also, I do not think he liked clowns.

I normally go for herding dogs (My next dog is going to be a corgi, I have already decided), but I love the Fargster. Here are two pictures:

[img] Gonna try again...
Do you know where you are going to get your corgi from?? Mine is from here:--LinkRemoved--

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Mon May 11, 2009 12:01 am

sidgey wrote:
Bosque wrote:
aholmes87 wrote:Nice post Bosque. That is a lot of good information there. And out of curiosity what kind of dog do you have?
Lab mix named Fargo. My family are puppy raisers for CCI, and he was initially supposed to be a companion dog. He got rejected after we turned him in because he was too mellow (I think), so we got him back. Also, I do not think he liked clowns.

I normally go for herding dogs (My next dog is going to be a corgi, I have already decided), but I love the Fargster. Here are two pictures:

[img] Gonna try again...
Do you know where you are going to get your corgi from?? Mine is from here:--LinkRemoved--
Haven't gotten that far. I cannot handle two dogs in my first year of law school (or in law school at all maybe). I will start figuring that out once I can handle two.

aholmes87

New

Post by aholmes87 » Wed May 13, 2009 11:58 am

Has anyone heard anything from Duke in a while? I haven't heard anything, either regular mail or email, since getting my email account.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BarrelState

New

Post by BarrelState » Wed May 13, 2009 1:11 pm

I haven't either . . . I'm starting to feel a little bit lonely. I guess the courting phase is over.

In other news, I got a place at Colonial Village at Deerfield (CVD). It looks like I'll be moving to Durham in late July. If any of you guys are around then, look me up.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed May 13, 2009 1:59 pm

aholmes87 wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Duke in a while? I haven't heard anything, either regular mail or email, since getting my email account.
Just got my NetID yesterday, gonna set it up today. Other than that, not really. But they ARE on summer break right now, so it is not like Bill Hoye has anything to write about in the what's happening at Duke Law this week emails.

BarrelState

New

Post by BarrelState » Wed May 13, 2009 5:29 pm

Man, I wish I was on summer break!

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Thu May 14, 2009 12:40 pm

aholmes87 wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Duke in a while? I haven't heard anything, either regular mail or email, since getting my email account.
I just got an email on my Duke account detailing the financial aid process.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”