Duke Law Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Bosque

Gold

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Post by Bosque » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:58 am

aholmes87 wrote:This groups getting pretty big. Good to see Duke getting a good showing from TLS this year.

How is everyone's search for housing going?
Still have not begun in earnest. I am waiting until I hear a decision from Stanford.

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:06 am

Bosque wrote:
chadstew55 wrote:I guess that I'll have to learn to forgive Bosque for going to Tech. :)
Chad, if you can forgive me for going to Tech, I can try and forgive you for being a UT alum. I cannot promise anything around football season though. :P
I hope everyone can forgive me for being a Tarheel :oops:

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:32 am

dresq wrote:
Bosque wrote:
chadstew55 wrote:I guess that I'll have to learn to forgive Bosque for going to Tech. :)
Chad, if you can forgive me for going to Tech, I can try and forgive you for being a UT alum. I cannot promise anything around football season though. :P
If you offer up a goat in ritual sacrifice when you begin school as a sign of contrition, I think we can work something out:

--ImageRemoved--

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:46 am

Bosque wrote:
dresq wrote:
Bosque wrote:
If you offer up a goat in ritual sacrifice when you begin school as a sign of contrition, I think we can work something out:

--ImageRemoved--

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
[Throat clearing]... I think you meant a ram, and no, that will NEVER happen. You will all absolutely hate me during basketball season.

"I was Tarheel born, I was Tarheel bred, and when I die I'll be Tarheel dead! So... Rah Rah Carolina-lina, Rah Rah Carolina-lina, Rah Rah Carolina-lina, Go to Hell Duke!"

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:03 am

Anyway, back to the Duke Law related posting. I have a question for those of you who already sent in your seat deposits and paperwork. I'm trying to get everything together to submit soon, and I just want to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. Right now, I have:
  • An envelope addressed to the admissions office containing (1) a check made out to Duke Law School for $500 with my LSAC# and D.O.B written on it, and (2) the signed agreement associated with reserving my seat, etc.
  • An envelope adressed to the financial aid office containing (1) the original sholarship terms contract with my signature, and (2) the original scholarship offer letter with my signature.
Is that everything, or am I missing something?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:18 am

dresq wrote:Anyway, back to the Duke Law related posting. I have a question for those of you who already sent in your seat deposits and paperwork. I'm trying to get everything together to submit soon, and I just want to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. Right now, I have:
  • An envelope addressed to the admissions office containing (1) a check made out to Duke Law School for $500 with my LSAC# and D.O.B written on it, and (2) the signed agreement associated with reserving my seat, etc.
  • An envelope adressed to the financial aid office containing (1) the original sholarship terms contract with my signature, and (2) the original scholarship offer letter with my signature.
Gotta sign in blood or it does not count. And they prefer it to be delivered by Peregrine Falcon, but if you cannot find one a Barn Owl or Osprey will do in a pinch.

Other than that, I think you are set.

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:29 am

Bosque wrote:
dresq wrote:Anyway, back to the Duke Law related posting. I have a question for those of you who already sent in your seat deposits and paperwork. I'm trying to get everything together to submit soon, and I just want to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. Right now, I have:
Gotta sign in blood or it does not count. And they prefer it to be delivered by Peregrine Falcon, but if you cannot find one a Barn Owl or Osprey will do in a pinch.

Other than that, I think you are set.
Can I use a wiseowl?

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:40 am

i tend to drop things

Pogopop

New

Post by Pogopop » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:19 am

Do you think that starting to look for housing in May (fall start) is too late? I want to look at other complexes (not just the ones on the housing tour), but I don't think I can get down there until the second weekend in May.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pogopop

New

Post by Pogopop » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:03 am

Also, just found out that I'll be needing a roommate -- if anyone's looking. I'm a 25 year old girl, my 20 lb dog will be coming with me, and my boyfriend will be coming down probably once a month. I know I sound like I have a lot of baggage, but I promise I'm a pretty good roommate!

ObviouslyMasochistic

New

Post by ObviouslyMasochistic » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:56 am

Pogopop wrote:Do you think that starting to look for housing in May (fall start) is too late? I want to look at other complexes (not just the ones on the housing tour), but I don't think I can get down there until the second weekend in May.
I think you'll probably be fine, but it would probably be wise to call and see what availability looks like at certain places. I was on the phone with one place this morning that said there were plenty of 1BRs but already a waiting list for 2BRs.

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:58 am

Just sent my seat deposit and scholly contract.

aholmes87

New

Post by aholmes87 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:01 pm

I just got my deposit conformation email. How long has it taken people to get their email letter?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sunshinesam

New

Post by sunshinesam » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:22 pm

I got my confirmation e-mail on the 3rd and received my e-mail account information on the 9th.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:15 pm

Anyone got their Scholarship apeal letter yet? Do you think they are going to start showing up tomorrow or Thursday?

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:20 am

I just stuck my deposit in the mail. When I get my scholarship, I'll send that off too.

I just thought of this, but I am sending mine through regular mail. Should I have sent it through certified mail to make sure it got there? Well, nevermind. It's already in the mailbox. It's not like I'm going to get it out.

ObviouslyMasochistic

New

Post by ObviouslyMasochistic » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:29 pm

chadstew55 wrote:I just stuck my deposit in the mail. When I get my scholarship, I'll send that off too.

I just thought of this, but I am sending mine through regular mail. Should I have sent it through certified mail to make sure it got there? Well, nevermind. It's already in the mailbox. It's not like I'm going to get it out.
I think you'll be fine. I sent mine via regular old stamp on the envelope as well.

So, question. When are the rest of you fine summer starters planning on moving in to Durham? I'm trying to decide between having either 1 or 2 weeks of lead time there before orientation.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TrampsLikeU$

New

Post by TrampsLikeU$ » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:45 pm

All the cool people are moving in on May 20th :D

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:06 pm

Just got notice that the admissions office got my deposit. The whole law school thing feels kinda real now!

For those of you who already submitted your scholarship contracts, did you get confirmation from the financial aid office when they received it?

aholmes87

New

Post by aholmes87 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:34 pm

dresq wrote:Just got notice that the admissions office got my deposit. The whole law school thing feels kinda real now!

For those of you who already submitted your scholarship contracts, did you get confirmation from the financial aid office when they received it?
I only got something from the admissions office, but I sent both of mine in together.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:42 pm

Just to toss this out there, did anyone meet Bill Brown at the ASW?

I really want to take classes with this guy....the stuff sounds great....here are two of his that I thought were interesting:

http://www.law.duke.edu/curriculum/cour ... rse?id=339
http://www.law.duke.edu/curriculum/cour ... rse?id=342

Stats, game theory, economics, finance, and law.....awesome....!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

philo-sophia

Bronze

Post by philo-sophia » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:10 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:Just to toss this out there, did anyone meet Bill Brown at the ASW?

I really want to take classes with this guy....the stuff sounds great....here are two of his that I thought were interesting:

http://www.law.duke.edu/curriculum/cour ... rse?id=339
http://www.law.duke.edu/curriculum/cour ... rse?id=342

Stats, game theory, economics, finance, and law.....awesome....!
Bill Brown is goddamn badass. I'm taking his Fixed Income and quant methods class this fall. Apparently his classes are not for the feint of heart but he is a serious player. Don't know if you read his bio but, Chem degree from MIT, Duke Law 1980, partner at Sidley Austin, banker at Morgan Stanley, managing director at Goldman Sachs, and now professor at Duke Law while simultaneously running two venture capital firms. He teaches amazing seminars and puts on almost weekly panels on the current financial crisis, and the panelists are rockstars. Last weeks guest, for instance, was the head of risk management at Goldman Sachs.

EDIT: I should also add that he's just a really cool dude. After one of his panels, he and i talked shop for like a half hour over a couple glasses of wine.

time2pretend

New

Post by time2pretend » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:03 pm

just sent in my deposit and scholarship contract

but more importantly, i joined the class of 2012 facebook group.. that definitely makes it official

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:44 pm

Woot! They gave me more money. Unfortunately they sent the letter home again. Anyone know if a scanned copy is sufficient to sign and mail in?

aer

New

Post by aer » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:46 pm

Bosque wrote:Woot! They gave me more money. Unfortunately they sent the letter home again. Anyone know if a scanned copy is sufficient to sign and mail in?
I'm a summer starter and the paper copy of my increased scholarship offer arrived after I mailed everything in. I printed out an emailed version of the letter and mailed that in. They haven't told me of any problems with it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”