Duke Law Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
dresq

Bronze

Re: Duke Law Class of 2012

Post by dresq » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:39 pm

FSUSpot wrote:First off congrats to all of you and your acceptance to Duke law! I will be attending UNC in fall, I am on this thread to try and find out my housing situation (thank you Bosque). Anyways I was looking at a couple of places in Carrboro and some closer to Durham. From what I understand Durham is a little cheaper in price than Chapel Hill so I might be closer to Duke than UNC. I have no stake in the rivalry yet =), I am just trying to find a good place to live so any help would be nice.

These are the apartments that I visited last week: Glen Lennox, Laurel Ridge, The Villages at Chapel Hill, and The Bridges at Chapel Hill.

I know these are closer to UNC but if anyone has information on any of them I would greatly appreciate it, and if anyone has any questions on these I will answer what I can.
OK, but I may end up at Duke, but I'm a Tarheel through and through. Also, I've lived in the area for 12 years, so I'll try to help out. I'll post this in the UNC 2012 thread, too.

Here's a map (LinkRemoved) of some complexes compiled in a pdf that I found from the UNC pharmacology program website. It's a good guideline for some graduate housing options, and the areas highlighted there are all pretty decent. You can look for more stuff in those general areas. Get much closer to campus, and you'll end up in undergrad territory. There are also A LOT of duplexes, townhouses, and smaller apartment complexes that are just right for graduate students. The only problem is that you kinda have to go to them in order to check them out. I'd look at local newspaper ads (online, see links below) for stuff in the area.

http://www.chapelhillnews.com/
http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/
http://www.carrborocitizen.com/main/

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:41 pm

Also, if you guys haven't noticed the original post in this thread, I'm trying to keep it updated with good info for everyone. If you find anything good, point it out, and I'll post it there for ease of access.

star111

New

Post by star111 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:37 pm

-
Last edited by star111 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:18 am

aer wrote:Here are the rates from the complexes that we toured:

Evergreens at Mt. Moriah
1Bdr $750-795
2Bdr $850-925
3Bdr $1050

Addington (Alexan) Farms
1Bdr $785-860
2Bdr $925-1340
3Bdr $1150-1575

Pinnacle Ridge
1Bdr $625-825
2Bdr $835-890

I didn't keep the Colonial Village ones. The price ranges have to do with square footage and almost all are special prices for Duke students.

Bosque, Pinnacle Ridge allows one pet under 60 pounds or 2 that are less than 60 pound combined that are not aggressive. They charge a non-refundable $150 pet fee and $20 per month pet rent. Alexan Farms allows a pet under 50 pounds and charges a $300 pet fee. The Evergreens don't mention their pet policy on the flyer I have, but they do specifically mention that they have 2 dog parks, so I am assuming they are pretty pet friendly. Your dog is adorable by the way.
Thank you for the prices, especially for the Evergreens. I couldn't find anything on them online, so that helps a lot. I loved everything else about the place when I looked at it online, so it is nice to know it is in my range too. I have a feeling they are one of the complexes with no pet rent, considering how dog friendly they seem to be.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:23 am

dresq wrote:Also, if you guys haven't noticed the original post in this thread, I'm trying to keep it updated with good info for everyone. If you find anything good, point it out, and I'll post it there for ease of access.
Doing a gerrrrrreat job so far. Looks nice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TrampsLikeU$

New

Post by TrampsLikeU$ » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:31 am

Sent in my deposit today! I'm a summer starter, too.

dresq

Bronze

Post by dresq » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:24 am

TrampsLikeU$ wrote:Sent in my deposit today! I'm a summer starter, too.
To all of the summer starters, I'm already in the area. If anyone wants to get in touch with me to hang out or for whatever reason, PM me once you're here. I'll do my best to play tour guide or what have you. Looks like Duke is getting way more props on TLS than last year!! Let's keep up the good work (and hope that they don't over-enroll :lol: )

aholmes87

New

Post by aholmes87 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:59 am

Bosque wrote:
dresq wrote:Also, if you guys haven't noticed the original post in this thread, I'm trying to keep it updated with good info for everyone. If you find anything good, point it out, and I'll post it there for ease of access.
Doing a gerrrrrreat job so far. Looks nice.
Keep up the good work dresq! I really hope to have you join us next year.

letsgopsu

New

Post by letsgopsu » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:02 am

hey i've found this board really helpful thanks for posting the info! so bill hoye will be sending out like a roommate listserv in may?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aer

New

Post by aer » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:31 am

I forgot to mention that I sent in my seat deposit so I am set for the summer start.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:10 pm

like dresq i'm also local and have lived in apts in both Durham and Chapel Hill. I can offer advice on whatever you need.

aer

New

Post by aer » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:52 pm

dresq or wiseowl, My cellphone contract will be up soon, so I was wondering which companies have good service in the Durham area.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:32 pm

I have had Sprint for 6 years with no significant issues.

My family members have found that in the Chapel Hill area Alltel has a better signal, though I think sometimes this has more to do with individual phones than actual quality. Alltel now also = Verizon.

I am sitting in the interior of a cinderblock campus building right now and I get 5 bars on my Sprint phone, and have had no issues with data either. Sprint works for me, but their actual stores and phone selection may not be to your liking.

I know plenty of people around here with AT&T and iPhones so if that's your thing you should be fine with that as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:57 pm

It is really lookin like Duke so far for me!

aholmes87

New

Post by aholmes87 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:07 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:It is really lookin like Duke so far for me!

It would be great to see another TLSer at Duke next year.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:28 pm

Hey man, I've got my Duke Law cap from the ASW and my Duke Crew t-shirt I got at the bookstore too.

I'm just sayin.

aholmes87

New

Post by aholmes87 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:11 pm

I missed free stuff at ASW. I should have gone.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:19 pm

There was a nice little notebook too.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:28 pm

I liked the hat, but it was too small for my massive noggin. So my sister is going to get it.

Pogopop

New

Post by Pogopop » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to TLS, but I saw the Duke thread and decided to post. I'm going to be starting in the fall and most likely looking for a roommate as well. I'm 25 and female and I'll be bringing my dog down (he's about 20 lbs and is one strange little guy).

All of the places seemed pet-friendly and I'm probably going to put together a spreadsheet in the next few weeks (when things slow down at work) with the housing prices, fees, etc. of all the apartments near Duke with their distance to the law school. If anyone's interested, just let me know. I'll probably get around to finishing it next week or so.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:50 pm

Bosque wrote:I liked the hat, but it was too small for my massive noggin. So my sister is going to get it.
yeah i wear a 7 7/8 and that hat isnt going to cut it. my wife likes it though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aholmes87

New

Post by aholmes87 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:38 pm

Not a hat wearer myself, but if t-shirts had been given out that would have been a different story.

dmnshm

New

Post by dmnshm » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:34 pm

Has anyone gotten any information from Duke post-deposit? I haven't yet :( (although they confirmed receipt of my deposit, so no worries there)

If so, how long did it take to get to you and what did it include?

Thanks in advance!

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:52 pm

Pogopop wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to TLS, but I saw the Duke thread and decided to post. I'm going to be starting in the fall and most likely looking for a roommate as well. I'm 25 and female and I'll be bringing my dog down (he's about 20 lbs and is one strange little guy).

All of the places seemed pet-friendly and I'm probably going to put together a spreadsheet in the next few weeks (when things slow down at work) with the housing prices, fees, etc. of all the apartments near Duke with their distance to the law school. If anyone's interested, just let me know. I'll probably get around to finishing it next week or so.
I was planning on starting one too. Post it here when you are done, that is what I am planning to do.

We should work on a good list of questions to ask when we call these places up. Lease term, price, pet policy, amenities (dishwasher, refrigerator, washing machine, ect.), parking policies... anyone think of anything else?

dmnshm

New

Post by dmnshm » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:04 pm

Bosque wrote:
Pogopop wrote:Hi everyone,

I was planning on starting one too. Post it here when you are done, that is what I am planning to do.

We should work on a good list of questions to ask when we call these places up. Lease term, price, pet policy, amenities (dishwasher, refrigerator, washing machine, ect.), parking policies... anyone think of anything else?
Distance from the Law School and feasibility of using a bike/public transport from said complex.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”