WashU (wustl) Class of 2012! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Lawrence

New

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Post by Lawrence » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:21 pm

seatown12 wrote:65% is the percentage of graduates who went into private practice, not all those who reported. This and more information can be found by following the link in Mr. Spivey's email.

The email also says that 33% (presumably of those in private practice) earned salaries of at least $160k. 33% of 65% means that just over 21% of all 2008 graduates are making $160k. $152k being the median private practice salary means at least 32.5% (65*.5) of all graduates are earning that amount, even better than the 21.6% Lawrence reports. Big money is definitely out there for Wash U grads.
I did e-mail Mike Spivey and he said that 65% of the class was what was reporting. (147 out of 226) Those numbers in the email he sent out were pulled only fromt hat sample. Out of those 65% that reported, 65% went into private practice. Its just a coincidence that those numbers turn out to be the same.

WassAnch

New

Post by WassAnch » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:45 pm

To answer my own question, I am staying at the Crowne Plaza tomorrow. Anyone else?

Also, I plan on driving down to St. Louis tomorrow. If anyone needs a ride to the campus just let me know.

ArsenalGunner

New

Post by ArsenalGunner » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:21 pm

hwmyones wrote:
The problem with Clayton is that it's not an area really set up for people in their early-mid 20's. The high rises that are there seem to be full of much older people (and are set at a much higher price range as well). There are a few buildings spread around the area around school that are full of undergrads that meet your requirements. The best one i can think of is the Dorchester. It's on Skinker, about a 10 minute walk from the law school. Right on the west boundary of Forest Park. Every other high rise like that that young people live in is in the Central West End (Towne House, Montclair, etc.) Hope that helps. I didn't live in a high rise so I don't know that much about it.
Hey guys, those who are going for housing day could you please please please give us(me) a summary of what you find? I will not be able to go to St Louis/sign a lease until the first week of classes...thank you!
Also, if anybody checks out the places listed above by hwmyones and the Parc Frontenac please, please report back! Thank you! :D

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:38 pm

WassAnch wrote:To answer my own question, I am staying at the Crowne Plaza tomorrow. Anyone else?

Also, I plan on driving down to St. Louis tomorrow. If anyone needs a ride to the campus just let me know.
I am staying at the Holiday Inn. For those who don't follow the facebook group, the llywelyns pub in CWE was suggested for thursday night

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:16 pm

So has anyone seen that Survival Guide that was "coming next week" on May 29 :wink:.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ali

New

Post by Ali » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:26 pm

steindle wrote:So has anyone seen that Survival Guide that was "coming next week" on May 29 :wink:.
While browsing the website I found one from 2006:

http://law.wustl.edu/admissions/documen ... de2006.pdf

ShaBam84

New

Post by ShaBam84 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:37 am

This place is awesome! I don't know that the actual housing day events were too helpful for actually finding housing but meeting everyone was great. Ciceros and Eclipse are bad ass too...

ArsenalGunner

New

Post by ArsenalGunner » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:17 pm

How was Housing day guys??? Dish!!!......pretty pleeeeaaaseeee :D

WassAnch

New

Post by WassAnch » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:21 pm

ArsenalGunner wrote:How was Housing day guys??? Dish!!!......pretty pleeeeaaaseeee :D

We pretty much just got on a bus and drove around the area.

Here are my initial impressions:

CWE: A little further from campus, but lots of stuff to do.
Clayton: Seemed nice, but boring and expensive.
U City: Looked really boring and residential.
Loop: Apparently this is where most of the UGs live...Looks like there is stuff to do if you can handle UG kids running around.

I'm planning on looking into the CWE a little bit more...I need a few good bars to stumble to after a long day of studying.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:26 pm

ShaBam84 wrote:This place is awesome! I don't know that the actual housing day events were too helpful for actually finding housing but meeting everyone was great. Ciceros and Eclipse are bad ass too...
don't forget about the hookah at Ranoush
WassAnch wrote:
ArsenalGunner wrote:How was Housing day guys??? Dish!!!......pretty pleeeeaaaseeee :D

Loop: Apparently this is where most of the UGs live...Looks like there is stuff to do if you can handle UG kids running around.

I'm planning on looking into the CWE a little bit more...I need a few good bars to stumble to after a long day of studying.
Agreed with this assessment. Clayton is very safe but more expensive. U City/Loop has a ton of undergrads so it tends to get very noisy on weekends etc. I really liked the Skinker - Debaliviere area and am going to try and find housing there or CWE. It seems like having a car there will be a necessity but there is plenty of free street parking. I will try and post my impressions of the apartments I visited later.

oh and they mentioned that we should try to avoid either barron realty or byron realty. I am not sure which one of the two it was.

WassAnch

New

Post by WassAnch » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:15 am

gk101 wrote:
ShaBam84 wrote:This place is awesome! I don't know that the actual housing day events were too helpful for actually finding housing but meeting everyone was great. Ciceros and Eclipse are bad ass too...
WassAnch wrote:

Agreed with this assessment. Clayton is very safe but more expensive. U City/Loop has a ton of undergrads so it tends to get very noisy on weekends etc. I really liked the Skinker - Debaliviere area and am going to try and find housing there or CWE. It seems like having a car there will be a necessity but there is plenty of free street parking. I will try and post my impressions of the apartments I visited later.

oh and they mentioned that we should try to avoid either barron realty or byron realty. I am not sure which one of the two it was.
I think that they said to avoid Byron.

ShaBam84

New

Post by ShaBam84 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:38 am

WassAnch wrote:
gk101 wrote:
WassAnch wrote:

I think that they said to avoid Byron.
I can confirm it was definitely Bryon, the Alaskan across from me named Byron Started laughing

I'm trying to forget the hookah

WassAnch

New

Post by WassAnch » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:38 pm

I can confirm it was definitely Bryon, the Alaskan across from me named Byron Started laughing

I'm trying to forget the hookah
I hear that that Byron guy is pretty awesome.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:47 am

What am I supposed to do at work without updates to this thread keeping me occupied?

bigdtrain

New

Post by bigdtrain » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:08 pm

Exactly. I am just going to waste away at work for the rest of summer. Well, its not like my job is hard, but I'll be impatiently waiting until I move to St. Louis.

Anyone living in the Skinker-Debaliviere area btw?

Edit: I should have added, or the Debaliviere Place area....
Last edited by bigdtrain on Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LED1985

New

Post by LED1985 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:23 pm

I told myself I wouldn't slack off after I gave notice at work, but I've been averaging about 20 hours of general admin time a week. Whoops.

I'm one of the CWE troop. I'm closing on a condo there mid July. Thank you, Mr. Obama and your tax credit. :)

When do we start hearing about classes and what block we're in? I've heard later in July, but just curious if anyone's heard differently.

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:12 pm

bigdtrain wrote:Anyone living in the Skinker-Debaliviere area btw?
That's where I'm living. Third story of a 6-unit building. Lots of grad students...hopefully should be fine and even somewhat serene (I was kind of stunned by how well-kept the area around my apartment building is).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

VAGATOR

New

Post by VAGATOR » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:43 pm

Yea, there has not been too many updates from the school recently. Maybe it will pick up in a week or two, the 4th of July is already around the corner. :shock:

My place is in the CWE right off Maryland if anybody cares.

bigdtrain

New

Post by bigdtrain » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:38 pm

Did anyone look at Park Station on Debaliviere? Green table at the housing fair.
If you are looking for a larger size apartment but still want to come in with low rent its worth checking out. Its not in CWE proper or anything but puts you in a reasonable distance, especially if you are down for inebriated bike rides, from the action. I'll be there, I would love to have a classmate in the area too.

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:24 pm

one of the 2Ls I talked to mentioned that we will get our section member's names in late July but the names of the professors will be sent later. Some of the stories about the professors makes me wish classes would start soon and others make me wonder if I am up for it. It should definitely be fun!

As for housing, most likely I will be on Lindell, but I still haven't signed the lease yet.

Ali

New

Post by Ali » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:53 pm

I'll be there on 7/7, looking for a 2 Bed/ 2 Bath apt. in CWE. I'm looking for a room mate too to split this in half.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:59 pm

Ali wrote:I'll be there on 7/7, looking for a 2 Bed/ 2 Bath apt. in CWE. I'm looking for a room mate too to split this in half.
the 2 Br/BA seem to work out cheaper than the 1 Br apartments and are much nicer. initially I didn't want a room mate but now I am seriously considering getting one just because it is cheaper (you get to split utilities/internet cost which could run over a 100 dollars)

Ali

New

Post by Ali » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:11 pm

gk101 wrote:
Ali wrote:I'll be there on 7/7, looking for a 2 Bed/ 2 Bath apt. in CWE. I'm looking for a room mate too to split this in half.
the 2 Br/BA seem to work out cheaper than the 1 Br apartments and are much nicer. initially I didn't want a room mate but now I am seriously considering getting one just because it is cheaper (you get to split utilities/internet cost which could run over a 100 dollars)
Exactly why I decided on it. Also, it might be kinda lonely/boring living by your self.

bigdtrain

New

Post by bigdtrain » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:20 pm

Ali wrote:
gk101 wrote:
Exactly why I decided on it. Also, it might be kinda lonely/boring living by your self.

My sentiments exactly.

I am currently looking at getting a roomy, ShamBam dont think I wont stop hounding you my friend. But if anyone else is interested in living with an ex-frat boy / closet nerd, let me know.

bebe09

New

Post by bebe09 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:34 pm

I decided on Park Station as well. I signed on a one bedroom so I can better get used to law school and St. Louis. So looks like there will def be students there. I also know a 2L and a 3L there who highly recommended the apartments. You really cant beat the rent especially since it includes cable!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”