WashU (wustl) Class of 2012! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
Lawrence

New

Re: WashU (wustl) Class of 2012!

Post by Lawrence » Thu May 28, 2009 5:44 pm

WassAnch wrote:UM just increased my scholly from 60k to full tuition. I have already asked WUSTL to increase my scholly twice....would I be pushing my luck if I sent a third request?

I don't want to be a thorn in their side, especially since it isn't even June yet.
I would tell them. Worst they can do is say no, and I'm more than willing to risk being a pain for the possibility of thousands of dollars.

WassAnch

New

Post by WassAnch » Thu May 28, 2009 5:45 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
WassAnch wrote:UM just increased my scholly from 60k to full tuition. I have already asked WUSTL to increase my scholly twice....would I be pushing my luck if I sent a third request?

I don't want to be a thorn in their side, especially since it isn't even June yet.
Congrats! It's worth a try ... since this would be the third time, is there anyone that you could make a phone call with a certain dollar figure in mind? My thought is that their only hesitation would be what would keep this candidate from coming back a 4th time. Otherwise, your LSAT certainly helps to boost their numbers and if I remembering old posts correctly, you have a very intriguing story.
I guess I'll give them a call...here goes nothing.

LSBound2012

New

Post by LSBound2012 » Thu May 28, 2009 8:22 pm

I'm also curious to know if asking for an increase more than twice would be wrong. I'm getting $20K more from Emory. Money is definitely an issue for me and I don't know if the schools have very different placement, prestige, etc.

Any thoughts???

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Thu May 28, 2009 8:34 pm

LSBound2012 wrote:I'm also curious to know if asking for an increase more than twice would be wrong. I'm getting $20K more from Emory. Money is definitely an issue for me and I don't know if the schools have very different placement, prestige, etc.

Any thoughts???
I have always felt that Emory and WUSTL are two very closely aligned schools. There are a couple of other threads comparing WUSTL and Emory, but I think that both are very similar. WUSTL will give you an obvious edge in the midwest and Chicago, while Emory will give an edge throughout the South. I say that everywhere else, placement is relatively similar. Where do you want to live / work?

LSBound2012

New

Post by LSBound2012 » Fri May 29, 2009 1:50 am

I'd like to end up in a major city such as DC, NYC, SF, or LA. So pretty much on the coasts...I somehow get the feeling that Wash U is making a stronger effort to place in the top 20 and stay there. Plus the Dean of Career Services seems to be very active in recruiting firms to take a look at the grads. Atlanta would probably be a cooler city to study in though but I guess its more about the school than the surroundings....The only downside is that the weather in St. Louis can be rough, well I guess anywhere in the midwest really versus Atlanta that never gets too cold....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSBound2012

New

Post by LSBound2012 » Fri May 29, 2009 10:06 am

Has anyone got an idea of where most 1Ls live during their first year?

I saw some condos in the Debaliviere Place neighnorhood by a company called Metropolis...has anyone looked into this?

They seem to have condos starting from $99,000 over on KIngsbury St. It also seems to be all newly renovated condos that this development company owns up and down Pershing. My only concern is whether I can break even after three years of law school an essentially save on rent. I know this has been discussed before but figure its worth getting some fresh ideas on now that we are nearing ourt second deposit deadline and considering housing more seriously.

Thanks....and here's the link to the condos....--LinkRemoved--

LED1985

New

Post by LED1985 » Fri May 29, 2009 10:35 am

LSBound2012 wrote:Has anyone got an idea of where most 1Ls live during their first year?

I saw some condos in the Debaliviere Place neighnorhood by a company called Metropolis...has anyone looked into this?

They seem to have condos starting from $99,000 over on KIngsbury St. It also seems to be all newly renovated condos that this development company owns up and down Pershing. My only concern is whether I can break even after three years of law school an essentially save on rent. I know this has been discussed before but figure its worth getting some fresh ideas on now that we are nearing ourt second deposit deadline and considering housing more seriously.

I looked at those same condos you're talking about by Metropolis. We decided to refocus our search on the Central West End though, and we're putting an offer on a condo there this week. The Metropolis condos were really nice and seemed like kind of a deal, but I had a couple concerns about them. I'm moving from a big city, so I'm used to walking to shops and restaurants, and I didn't get the impression from our realtor that there was much around there. Also the abundance of the condos in the same area made me nervous, especially because they were all so simmilar. I was worried that would hurt me when I went to resell. But those were just my reactions. They are really nice and we saw a lot of crappy places when we were down there, so you could do A LOT worse. :)

animalcrkrs

Bronze

Post by animalcrkrs » Fri May 29, 2009 10:41 am

chadwick218 wrote:
LSBound2012 wrote:I'm also curious to know if asking for an increase more than twice would be wrong. I'm getting $20K more from Emory. Money is definitely an issue for me and I don't know if the schools have very different placement, prestige, etc.

Any thoughts???
I have always felt that Emory and WUSTL are two very closely aligned schools. There are a couple of other threads comparing WUSTL and Emory, but I think that both are very similar. WUSTL will give you an obvious edge in the midwest and Chicago, while Emory will give an edge throughout the South. I say that everywhere else, placement is relatively similar. Where do you want to live / work?
I was getting $36K more from Emory (this was like a month ago when I asked) and WUSTL only increased my award by $6K
The award was already pretty high to start with--but still--they didn't seem too affected by my Emory scholly.
That said, I withdrew from Emory and WUSTL last week, so maybe you can have my funds!

Dadric

New

Post by Dadric » Fri May 29, 2009 12:44 pm

matty wrote:

Good god I'm bored at work, responding to a thread for a school I won't even be attending...but I did get accepted and have lived literally across the street from WUSTL for most of my life, so here goes:
You are absolutely right about it being more full of hippies/hipsters/goths than stereotypical frat guys, as it is populated more by quirky/drink-sipping establishments than party/heavy drinking type places. In fact, it can sometimes be quite dead during the weekdays, but it usually does pick up quite a bit on the weekends--not really to an overbearing point though. You should be fine living there, as people looking for a shitshow type party vibe congregate mainly in other areas of the city. I would only caution you that although it is safe for the most part, you still have to exercise common sense and be aware of your surroundings. Delmar does tend to get a bit sketchy once you go a few blocks east of Skinker, for example. Other than that, you should be fine, and here's a few places you should check out:
Gyros House: Don't let the shabby appearance fool you...some of the best gyros with the freshest toppings I've ever had
609: For hookah, if you're into that
Pi Pizza: Really good deep dish--a favorite of President Obama
Tivoli Theater: Shows some good indie flicks
Riddle's Penultimate: Nice wine bar
Mi Ranchito: Pretty good Mexican food including incredible queso dip and cheap margaritas
Blueberry Hill: Darts and beer 365 days a year
Vinatge Vinyl--glad you already checked that one out, one of my favorite stores
There's more, including a wide variety of ethnic restaurants, but its too much to list and I have to leave room for you to do some exploring too I guess.
It's distressing that you would forget Wong's Wok and El Maguey's. Also Riddle's is decidedly "meh" :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

matty

Bronze

Post by matty » Fri May 29, 2009 3:46 pm

^^^^
eh...left off El Maguey because it is a chain, but it is pretty decent and cheap, and I know they used to have $3.00 pitchers sometimes. Good to know about Riddle's though--I was actually going on the recommendations of others on that one, but I guess I'll skip it now. I usually stick to Sasha's (either the one near WUSTL on Demun or the one on Shaw which I prefer) as far as wine bars go

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Fri May 29, 2009 4:13 pm

Relatively random question, since we have a St. Louisian in the thread: In Pittsburgh we have a wonderful area called the Strip District where basically all of the "ethnic" wholesalers are located -- it's literally about 10-15 blocks where you can pick up virtually any ingredient you would ever want (Mexican, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, various African, Italian, etc etc), for cheap prices. My fiance and I walk there once or twice a month and stock up on produce, spices, etc, and it's always a great experience.

I know that St. Louis doesn't have a direct equivalent of this, but I have heard that the Soulard Market is somewhat similar, if a much more compact version...Is it anything like that? Also, are there many region-specific grocers there (i.e. a Chinese grocery store, a Polish deli, etc)? When my fiance and I were walking around the South Grand area, we came upon what appeared to be a sort of catch-all "ethnic" grocery with food from all around the world that seemed nice but not too expansive. More stuff like that?

Thanks for your help!

joehad7

New

Post by joehad7 » Fri May 29, 2009 8:54 pm

steindle wrote:Relatively random question, since we have a St. Louisian in the thread: In Pittsburgh we have a wonderful area called the Strip District where basically all of the "ethnic" wholesalers are located -- it's literally about 10-15 blocks where you can pick up virtually any ingredient you would ever want (Mexican, Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, various African, Italian, etc etc), for cheap prices. My fiance and I walk there once or twice a month and stock up on produce, spices, etc, and it's always a great experience.

I know that St. Louis doesn't have a direct equivalent of this, but I have heard that the Soulard Market is somewhat similar, if a much more compact version...Is it anything like that? Also, are there many region-specific grocers there (i.e. a Chinese grocery store, a Polish deli, etc)? When my fiance and I were walking around the South Grand area, we came upon what appeared to be a sort of catch-all "ethnic" grocery with food from all around the world that seemed nice but not too expansive. More stuff like that?

Thanks for your help!
The Soulard Market has a fairly large spice shop, but it is run by a single vendor. Other than that, the Soulard Market is primarily geared towards domestic produce. You can find some exotic meats and cheeses, though. For Asian groceries/spices, try Olive Blvd west of 170, there are probably 10 markets/groceries in the area. South Grand has an Afghan market. Cherokee St. west of Jefferson has a couple of Mexican grocers. The Hill has several Italian markets. I think there's an African market at Grand and Gravois.

You should be able to find everything here, but it won't be quite as convenient as the Strip District.

steindle

Bronze

Post by steindle » Fri May 29, 2009 9:25 pm

joehad7 wrote:The Soulard Market has a fairly large spice shop, but it is run by a single vendor. Other than that, the Soulard Market is primarily geared towards domestic produce. You can find some exotic meats and cheeses, though. For Asian groceries/spices, try Olive Blvd west of 170, there are probably 10 markets/groceries in the area. South Grand has an Afghan market. Cherokee St. west of Jefferson has a couple of Mexican grocers. The Hill has several Italian markets. I think there's an African market at Grand and Gravois.

You should be able to find everything here, but it won't be quite as convenient as the Strip District.
Awesome info, thanks very much joehad!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hwmyones

Bronze

Post by hwmyones » Fri May 29, 2009 10:08 pm

LSBound2012 wrote:Has anyone got an idea of where most 1Ls live during their first year?

Don't live in Metropolis. They're in a terrible area. They're not near anything. You have to cross a highway essentially to get to the park. That and West End City are the only two places I'd suggest avoiding. A bunch of law students lived in West End City, but while they claim to be in the Central West End, they're more than a mile away.

WassAnch

New

Post by WassAnch » Sat May 30, 2009 10:40 pm

Lawrence wrote:

I would tell them. Worst they can do is say no, and I'm more than willing to risk being a pain for the possibility of thousands of dollars.
Good thing I tried again...increased my scholly from 60k to 108k. Looks like I'll be seeing all of you in the fall.

gk101

Gold

Post by gk101 » Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 pm

WassAnch wrote:
Lawrence wrote:

Good thing I tried again...increased my scholly from 60k to 108k. Looks like I'll be seeing all of you in the fall.
Congrats! They made the same scholarship increase for me as well. Barring a miraculous acceptance off the wls, I will certainly be in Saint Louis this fall. Hopefully I will meet some of you at the housing day in june.

VAGATOR

New

Post by VAGATOR » Sun May 31, 2009 4:59 pm

The second deposit is due tomorrow, don't forget! :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ali

New

Post by Ali » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:38 am

Just paid the 2nd deposit.

LED1985

New

Post by LED1985 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:42 am

Me too!

See you guys in August! :)

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:52 am

WUSTL deposit paid! Still holding out hope for some summer WL action, but 75% certain that I'll be in St. Louis in the fall ...

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:52 am

If you withdraw, or don't send the second deposit, tell them to accept me!

Good luck to you all!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WassAnch

New

Post by WassAnch » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:46 pm

Just paid the second deposit!

Anyone else going to the housing day on the 18th?

bigdtrain

New

Post by bigdtrain » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:36 pm

Hey super (nearly obsessive) long-time lurker. Just paid my second deposit, so I'd figure I should join the party now. It'll be great to meet all of you.

I'll be at the housing fair on June 18th.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:39 pm

I'll be there on the 18th as well ... although I have a house in Clayton relatively close to campus, I will be joining ya'll to get a jump-start on making new friends ...

bigdtrain

New

Post by bigdtrain » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:42 pm

Chadwick, are you a trojan? How long ago did you graduate?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”